Neon freezing on startup
so i have noticed this for the last week or so.

Many times when i start up xbmc with the neon (svn) skin as my default, xbmc will freeze not long after startup. This usually happens right after I get my notification from trakt that it is ready to submit my media.

I have noticed on a number of occasions that when it doesn't freeze, I will get an error saying that randomitems.py has failed.

When xbmc freezes, I have to manually start the task manager and kill xbmc. When I look at the xbmc.exe, the memory usage is increasing rapidly until I kill the task.

Here is a debug log of the last freeze:

http://pastebin.com/b1EiUXY6

And here is a debug of xbmc starting with the randomitems.py failing:

http://pastebin.com/v8MfWfx3

When i use the default skin, it starts up fine everytime.

::EDIT:: And it just happened again, and it looks like I can't start xbmc unless I delete the skin from my profile directory: here is another log in case it helps :-\

http://pastebin.com/KnyRfpGN
Don't think it's just related to Neon. I have this happening with every skin I've tried for the nightlies.

Best I can figure out it seems to happen when you have addons that do a lot of information pulling off the bat. If I have Weather.com+, RandomItems, TV.Next.Aired and RSS Feeds running, chances are high I will have a freeze. It's like it overloads the network protocols or something. Since they do a fair amount of network activity.

If I disable TV.Next.Aired and Weather.com+ I can finally get XBMC running again. Then I go and turn them on one by one after the initial load. Though this still seems to make XBMC unstable to freezing at various points.

It's been going on for over a week now with the nightlies even on fresh installs. I just keep waiting for the eventual fix to come about and for now just run with TV.Next.Aired disabled since that seems to be the biggest culprit.

Funny thing is I have another computer in the house running the nightlies and all the above mentioned mods running with no issues. So, it has me scratching my head. I remember Ronie posting a link to a trac ticket about a freezing problem, but haven't seen anything done on that for a while now.
In my case, Neon freezes for about 10 seconds at startup. It starts when those pop-ups appear (weather & TV guide are updated). It ends exactly when the top-right weather info switches from 0*c to the current temperature.

I'm updated to latest nightly (Wednesday), with passion repo skins. No other skins give me this problem (Aeon, Confluence, BackRow, etc.). They just load & I can navigate right away.
Just wanted to say I'm glad to see others experiencing this problem. I also don't have the issue with any other skin except Neon. Hoping for a fix soon.
Rygrath Wrote:Don't think it's just related to Neon. I have this happening with every skin I've tried for the nightlies.

Best I can figure out it seems to happen when you have addons that do a lot of information pulling off the bat. If I have Weather.com+, RandomItems, TV.Next.Aired and RSS Feeds running, chances are high I will have a freeze. It's like it overloads the network protocols or something. Since they do a fair amount of network activity.

If I disable TV.Next.Aired and Weather.com+ I can finally get XBMC running again. Then I go and turn them on one by one after the initial load. Though this still seems to make XBMC unstable to freezing at various points.

It's been going on for over a week now with the nightlies even on fresh installs. I just keep waiting for the eventual fix to come about and for now just run with TV.Next.Aired disabled since that seems to be the biggest culprit.

Funny thing is I have another computer in the house running the nightlies and all the above mentioned mods running with no issues. So, it has me scratching my head. I remember Ronie posting a link to a trac ticket about a freezing problem, but haven't seen anything done on that for a while now.

I agree that it has something to do with loading too many items at once, but the reason I thought it was Neon is because i am only having this problem with Neon, as others have mentioned. Very Strange.

Also, like you, I have xbmc and neon on another (more powerful) computer in my house and I do not have this problem whatsoever on that machine. The current machine is an Acer Revo 3700 running Windows 7
Rygrath Wrote:I remember Ronie posting a link to a trac ticket about a freezing problem, but haven't seen anything done on that for a while now.

That´s right: Here is the related trac ticket: #11528

I´m also experiencing freezes with the Transparency! skin and disabling nextAired helped a lot.

Is there any option within xbmc to delay scripts? So nextAired could start 1 minute after xbmc has loaded?
I have experienced this also. I usually have to restart my atv2 to get it working again.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I experienced this for the first time last night - grabbing the latest nightly fixed it.
-stoli-
Mine is still freezing. It seems to happen when updating the TV Guide.
Please pardon the newbie question, but how do I disable the tvshow.next.aired script? If I do, I guess the only thing in the skin that will not work correctly is the TV Guide, is this correct?

I recently switched back to Dharma because of this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I just love the latest Neon skin and want to go back to it! By the way, using the latest nightly (July 20) did not solve the problem for me.

Regards,

Bart
bsoriano Wrote:Please pardon the newbie question, but how do I disable the tvshow.next.aired script? If I do, I guess the only thing in the skin that will not work correctly is the TV Guide, is this correct?

I recently switched back to Dharma because of this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I just love the latest Neon skin and want to go back to it! By the way, using the latest nightly (July 20) did not solve the problem for me.

Regards,

Bart

I just pushed an update that has the Next Aired script disabled at startup. If you don't want to wait for the update, edit the startup.xml file as follows:

Code:
Look for:

<onfocus>XBMC.RunScript(script.tv.show.next.aired,silent=true&amp;alarm=99)</onfocus>
<onfocus>Notification(Startup,TV Guide Updated)</onfocus>

Change to:

<!-- <onfocus>XBMC.RunScript(script.tv.show.next.aired,silent=true&amp;alarm=99)</onfocus>
<onfocus>Notification(Startup,TV Guide Updated)</onfocus> -->
-stoli-
does the update disable the feature completely or does it just start later?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
It just doesn't auto-run the update. Youse have to go to the next aired addon and refresh it there. This is just temporary until the underlying issue is resolved.
-stoli-
I think I found the root cause (at least it is not locking for me any longer) and have pushed an update. Fingers crossed.
-stoli-
I disabled TV Next Show Aired and Weather+ and the freezing went away... Hope this gets fixed soon as I love having the TV Guide in Neon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Neon freezing on startup0