[Apple TV2] How do you have ATV2 connected to Storage?
I have an ATV2 that I'm going to jailbreak (waiting on the correct usb cord). I then plan on installing XBMC on it. I'm wondering what is the best way to connect ATV2 to my external HD / Server. HomePlug, wireless, ethernet?

Thanks! Big Grin
freakmonger Wrote:I have an ATV2 that I'm going to jailbreak (waiting on the correct usb cord). I then plan on installing XBMC on it. I'm wondering what is the best way to connect ATV2 to my external HD / Server. HomePlug, wireless, ethernet?

Thanks! Big Grin

wired ethernet is normally the best if you can, but I've had about zero issues streaming 720 content on wireless-N.
It doesn't matter what you are using to connect to the network.
If you encounter lags or buffering issues you maybe want to use ethernet which has proven to be the faster connection - despite the WiFi N being faster in theory than the 100MBit LAN.

I use WiFi N for both my ATV2 and have no problems at all streaming 720p material...

EmKay
Do you guys stream from an external HD connected to a router or from a server?
I'm currently using ethernet through a switch and onto my dedicated machine running linux (ubuntu server, 11.04 I believe).
I'm sharing my media via NFS. When the next nightly is compiled and put up I will probably change from linux and back to FreeNAS.

I've had no problem streaming anything with this method. 1080p works well also.
I'm using Wireless - N 5ghz and have no problem streaming from my SMB harddrive. I do get a lot of buffering with IceFilms, but I think that is a larger issue
freakmonger Wrote:Do you guys stream from an external HD connected to a router or from a server?

right now my setup is a mix of both
I'm using my HD connected to a router.

Lots of problems though, cannot see all my media and will not read .nfo files. Tried using the HD and shared from win7 with similar results.
I was using a 1GB Time Capsule with no problems..

just upgraded to Seagate Black Armor 220 4TB NAS

it has 10/100/1000 ethernet so no problems with network speed

working perfectly
Wired Ethernet to my server.

Older Emachines computer internals moved to a different case running unraid 4.7

Gigabit ethernet expansion card

2tb of usable storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV2] How do you have ATV2 connected to Storage?0