10.7 Lion & XBMC: HowTo share with PureFTPd Manager
Ned Scott Wrote:While I think NFS is looking to be the best bet for the long run, Ben's guide here is probably our best no-fuss solution for Lion users. I've already booked marked it myself in preparation of the waves of Lion users that will inevitably be asking for help on the forums. We should probably link to it from a sticky, but I don't know if that should be done in a sticky here or just on the Mac OS X sub forum.

Thanks.
I think it can be improved, maybe skipping virtual users as I do not use them for this tutorial.

who can delete and rename ?
-> I see in the forum that the implementation of FTP in XBMC does not include deletion of files.
It would be perfect with it. Wink
does anyone know why xbmc is not scanning in my fanart with FTP... Its building my library with remote fanart.... small problem so no big deal... but if someone knows how I can fix it... it would be greatly appreciated.

I have my metadata labeled as (folder.jpg) and fanart.jpg)

Thanks.
Hi Benn,

I'm a total noob at FTP'ing, so could you do me a favor and describe from A-Z what i have to do when i wanna setup FTP in xbmc.

I've come this far (looking at the "add network location" in xbmc) i see:

Server adresss
Remote path
Port
Username
Password

Now the server adress would that be the ip of my ATV2 or the server ip adresss thats on the server status screen on pureftpd manager?
Remote path is that only the path that i've set in the home directory in pureftpd manager? in my case its "/volumes/drobo/movies
Username, is that the login or my user id?

Thank you in advance.

Others may answer as well :-)
Can an admin change the name of the thread to "10.7 Lion & XBMC: HowTo share with PureFTPd Manager" or something like that ?
Thanks.
benethil Wrote:I've come this far (looking at the "add network location" in xbmc) i see:
Server adresss
Remote path
Port
Username
Password

Server adresss: your local IP address. Not the one showed in PureFTPd. It is too smart and (in my case) shows my internet IP. You must use your local IP, which has to be fixed (DHCP configuration of your router).

Remote Path: if the default path of the FTP user is /Users/You/Movies/, you only have to put the subfolder here.

Port: 21

Username: the FTP username, same as the Lion username in my last howto.

Password: FTP password, same as the Lion password in my last howto.

So for example, after filling the fields, XBMC will show you that:
ftp://yourIP:21/subfolder
or ftp://login: pass@yourIP:21/sub

In my case login toto / password tata
share /Users/toto/Movies/iWatchTV
FTP default path /Users/toto/Movies/
> ftp://192.168.0.3:21/iWatchTV
or ftp://toto:[email protected]:21/iWatchTV/
ben33400 Wrote:Can an admin change the name of the thread to "10.7 Lion & XBMC: HowTo share with PureFTPd Manager" or something like that ?
Thanks.

No prob, thank you for the howto! Definitely should be linked in official FAQ, and probably over in OSX subforum too.
I was following instructions just fine, but how do you "loose access" to a folder?

I mean I guess '777' would be pretty loose permissions. And I'm sure that 000 would be way too tight of permissions. I'd hate to have my folder permissions too loose and lose something important. Their should be a rather way for people to check there permissions on they're computer.[sic]

ben33400 Wrote:And you can loose access to the folder … SO TRY WITH A TEST FOLDER YOU CAN TEMPORARY LOOSE ACCESS (in this case use in terminal "sudo chown -R your_account /folder/you/loose").
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:I was following instructions just fine, but how do you "loose access" to a folder?

I mean I guess '777' would be pretty loose permissions. And I'm sure that 000 would be way too tight of permissions. I'd hate to have my folder permissions too loose and lose something important. Their should be a rather way for people to check there permissions on they're computer.[sic]

Maybe I was not precise enough. You lose access because the owner changes. For "none unix user" I think it is a sufficient description. Smile
I learn those by making this mistake and corrected it. Smile So my theory is basic and my words simple.

If you change the owner as it is suggested, the selected folder is set as root/wheel. When you want to go the the folder, you get a pop-up "access denied". So you have to correct it with a chown command.

I do not really know why PureFTPd asks for this change. It works fine if discarded.

And no puns with mistakes ! Wink
This method support subtitles? I try upnp but subtitles doesn´t work.
magnusfischer Wrote:This method support subtitles? I try upnp but subtitles doesn´t work.

yes.
Thank you! It works! Unfortunately I get quite a bit of buttering with file sizes over a gig. Any idea why? I didn't with smb under snow leopard.
Does ftp shares support files view in library mode? The videos and subtitles works fine, but i still see the files as they look on my mac. With no posters, plot or whatever;
magnusfischer Wrote:Does ftp shares support files view in library mode? The videos and subtitles works fine, but i still see the files as they look on my mac. With no posters, plot or whatever;

I can see fanart and other GUI stuff. Summaries, cinema posters, etc.
Salut Ben,
Merci for all your aide. I am going to upgrade to Lion and saw this thread. I am running the latest XBMC on my ATV1. I connect to ATV from my Intel iMac using Transmit FTP.
Will I have any problems uploading videos via FTP with Lion ?
A+
MrHipster Wrote:Salut Ben,
Merci for all your aide. I am going to upgrade to Lion and saw this thread. I am running the latest XBMC on my ATV1. I connect to ATV from my Intel iMac using Transmit FTP.
Will I have any problems uploading videos via FTP with Lion ?
A+

Bonjour, Wink

I do not see any reasons why it could not work (if Transmit FTP is compatible with Lion). If not, just try Pure FTPd !

Moreover, people find a lot of methods for sharing with Lion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106659

I think people can upgrade now with no fear of losing XBMC ! Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10.7 Lion & XBMC: HowTo share with PureFTPd Manager0