• 31(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
So, the play10bit branch is finally merged. Should reduce CPU during playback by a bit.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It would be interesting to see some stats from people with before and after for the play10bit branch.
(2012-05-03, 00:59)elupus Wrote: So, the play10bit branch is finally merged. Should reduce CPU during playback by a bit.

With full (frame and slice) MT enabled and DXVA encoding?
Quote:So, the play10bit branch is finally merged. Should reduce CPU during playback by a bit.

am I correct in assuming it is in the latest nightly build ?

I am talking about this release : XBMCSetup-20120503-bd6c66a-master.exe 2012-May-03 10:53:52 43.8M
Just getting round to downloading Shine's build a page or so back to compare to my DSPlayer install.

Looking forward to hearing you guys whom have used Shine's build comparing it to the latest nightlies, I originally shifted away to DSPlayer for a batch of reasons, not just 10bit, but if this we're running newer versions of FFMPEG a lot of my original issues may well be resolved, and it'd be good to hear how the new official nightlies are looking Big Grin
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
10bit with dxva will never be possible on current hw, and frame based mt is still not enabled, but could easily be allowed for 10bit stuff.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

My bad, I was talking about DXVA for 8bit video, of course.
I am currently on Shine's build with frame drops only happening when there's complex typesetting on 10bit anime, for example the title screen right at the beginning of [AFFTW-Hatsuyuki] _High _School _DxD _Special _- _02 _[BD][1920x1080]
That sounds more like our perf. issue with ass subtitles than 10bit h264.

Hey guys, i'm back again with another question. So I reckon I need to do my upgrade. I was just wondering.. What kind of cpu hardware are we looking at here to have zero frame drops due to cpu load being too high?

I kinda fancy Intel.. So You think I could rock a new HTPC with a mere i3 using the on board graphics (dxva enabled) for my regular videos and having the CPU decode my anime stuff? Or do I need to go full head on this and invest in an i7 with ivy bridge?

I'm talking about 1080P 10 bit encoded stuff here. Wish I could get this all into one nifty small mini-itx box with remote support and external psu so i could run it as cool as possible. I know kind of wishful thinking. Smile
I run an i3 @ 3.06GHz (no overclocking, stock cooling), 4GB of DDR3 and the built-in Ironlake graphics. It chews through 10bit @ 1080p without blinking, though the fan does tend to spin up a bit.

The video playback is also not the only thing running at any given time so there's even some headroom, you'll be fine with an i3.
(2012-05-03, 22:23)zyro Wrote: I run an i3 @ 3.06GHz (no overclocking, stock cooling), 4GB of DDR3 and the built-in Ironlake graphics. It chews through 10bit @ 1080p without blinking, though the fan does tend to spin up a bit.

The video playback is also not the only thing running at any given time so there's even some headroom, you'll be fine with an i3.

Cool thanks for the info!
my intel core2due @ 2GHz cannot run smoothly...
(2012-05-04, 07:24)adsi Wrote: my intel core2due @ 2GHz cannot run smoothly...

Such is life on the 10-bit zone Smile Be prepared to buy new hardware with lots of CPU ponies to feast upon the 10bit dinner plate.
(2012-05-03, 18:56)elupus Wrote: 10bit with dxva will never be possible on current hw, and frame based mt is still not enabled, but could easily be allowed for 10bit stuff.
It would be nice to also enable frame base mt on 8bit for peoples who are not using DXVA, either because OS simply not support it (people who are under XP SP3 for exemple), either because they've disabled "use DXVA2" in the settings.
As a temporary workaround, i've suggested the following, very easy and quick to implement :
Code:
/* Only allow slice threading, since frame threading is more
   * sensitive to changes in frame sizes, and it causes crashes
   * during HW accell */
  bool disable_mt_frame=true;
#ifdef HAS_DX
  disable_mt_frame=g_guiSettings.GetBool("videoplayer.usedxva2");
#endif
  if (disable_mt_frame) m_pCodecContext->thread_type = FF_THREAD_SLICE;
  else m_pCodecContext->thread_type = FF_THREAD_FRAME;
I'm currently using my own builds with it. I've disabled DXVA2 in the settings (i've personnaly found result of SW decoding better, and didn't like the result of DXVA).
Quote:That sounds more like our perf. issue with ass subtitles than 10bit h264.

Would it be possible to convert the ass subtitles to srt format ?
I know some releases have an option to disable the ass/ssa font settings, but still they are much more cpu-demanding than srt would be.
I'm sure if that would be an easy (preferrable a batch process), I would have a go at that.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7