• 32(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
The "Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts" option should reduce subtitle CPU-needs to a minimum.

/edit:
About the latest patched build with 10bit / MT decision fromt this thread: Whenever i enable DXVA in the options, I get a reproducible bluescreen (win7 x64) no matter if I try to decode 8 or 10bit material.

/edit2:
I also notice very slight (about one frame) subtitle lag in every 10bit build in this thread. Mostly noticeable on signs and scene-changes. Did anyone else see this?
Personnaly, no. And for testing subtitle timing accuracy, i use a file wich have a lot of ssa effects and features, and highly visible effect if timing is not accurate. But this file is not a 10bit video, and maybe also having an i7@870 may help...
I tried the latest build (XBMCSetup-20120504-11a94cb-master.exe), but that was missing th option to add a video source.
Then I tried the build before that (XBMCSetup-20120503-bd6c66a-master.exe), and that played my files flawlessly...

I did switch on Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts, haven't tried it yet without that option.
For you guys that have subtitle performance issues, would be nice with some feedback on: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/942
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-05-06, 23:59)elupus Wrote: For you guys that have subtitle performance issues, would be nice with some feedback on: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/942

A suggestion for something that I think would test this really well: The Tsukimi release of Acchi Kochi episode 2, starting at 19:53. Use the 8-bit version - the subtitles at that point were enough to bring my E2140 to its knees. The patch sounds like it might address a large part of what makes those subtitles so CPU-intensive. OTOH it's a sequence with very-quickly-changing subtitles, so whether there are enough frames without changes to make a difference is the question.

I'm going to try and get OpenELEC building and then pull in this branch to see how it goes.
... 13 hours later, still building. Well, really it's only about 9 hours because the first build failed after a few hours (looks like it needs autoconf 2.68) so I quickly threw together an LMDE VM to do the build on and it's still going ... oh crap. Just remembered I needed to install the PAE kernel for multiple CPUs to work ... bugger! I'll leave it overnight and fix it up tomorrow.
(2012-04-28, 14:45)Shine Wrote: I've created a new build using an approach similar to maruchan's idea.

This new build is based on the current master (2012-04-29, rev. d2ac454556).

In addition, it contains the following changes:
This should be the best of both worlds:
  • software decoding incl. Hi10P playback with full (frame and slice) MT enabled
  • DXVA decoding working and limited to slice threading like in the current nightlies
The playback delay penalty introduced by pre-checking the files is between 0.1 and 0.3 seconds per file, ie. barely noticable.

The build is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6cx2ndk11q7q4v8

Test&Enjoy.

This is excellent.

The only problem I have ATM is when I first open XBMC, it stutters a bit and the backgrounds dont change from home screen to home screen. After I enter a section its all fine though/

Playback 10bit is beautiful on an ER1401.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
(2012-05-08, 00:06)aoaaron Wrote:
(2012-04-28, 14:45)Shine Wrote: I've created a new build using an approach similar to maruchan's idea.

This new build is based on the current master (2012-04-29, rev. d2ac454556).

In addition, it contains the following changes:
This should be the best of both worlds:
  • software decoding incl. Hi10P playback with full (frame and slice) MT enabled
  • DXVA decoding working and limited to slice threading like in the current nightlies
The playback delay penalty introduced by pre-checking the files is between 0.1 and 0.3 seconds per file, ie. barely noticable.

The build is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6cx2ndk11q7q4v8

Test&Enjoy.

This is excellent.

The only problem I have ATM is when I first open XBMC, it stutters a bit and the backgrounds dont change from home screen to home screen. After I enter a section its all fine though/

Playback 10bit is beautiful on an ER1401.

AVI is out of sync with audio with this version...
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
(2012-05-07, 01:36)magao Wrote: I'm going to try and get OpenELEC building and then pull in this branch to see how it goes.

Unfortunately, not having a huge amount of luck here. I can build the OpenELEC master branch just fine (and it's only a couple of hours on my big machine), but once I switch over to the xbmc master branch the OpenELEC patches don't apply anything close to cleanly. I'm trying to apply them to the Eden branch then merge forwards but I don't have enough domain knowledge to resolve the merge conflicts.

So unless someone has already done the work of getting OpenELEC building with the current xbmc master branch, I think I'm stuck.
(2012-05-07, 01:36)magao Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 23:59)elupus Wrote: For you guys that have subtitle performance issues, would be nice with some feedback on: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/942

I'm going to try and get OpenELEC building and then pull in this branch to see how it goes.

I've been working with people on the OpenELEC forums for this, and there are now unofficial builds of OpenELEC against xbmc:nightly (both Audio-Engine and non-Audio-engine) builds. There is no support for these builds, and you should not ask for any support with OpenELEC Frodo builds on either the OpenELEC forums or GitHub.

In the end I haven't contributed much to this apart from prompting other people to publish what they've been working on, but if that's all I contribute I'm happy Wink

Discussion: http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...ter-branch
Builds: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezz725y7xtm9rba/uUnw2UkMhh

(2012-05-07, 01:36)magao Wrote: A suggestion for something that I think would test this really well: The Tsukimi release of Acchi Kochi episode 2, starting at 19:53. Use the 8-bit version - the subtitles at that point were enough to bring my E2140 to its knees. The patch sounds like it might address a large part of what makes those subtitles so CPU-intensive. OTOH it's a sequence with very-quickly-changing subtitles, so whether there are enough frames without changes to make a difference is the question.

OK - so just tried out the latest build (r10940 - XBMC changeset a3f80fb) from above with Audio Engine (includes play10bit and the libass improvements). On my E2140:

10-bit Fate/Zero first OP (UTW episode 5 - 720p). Total combined CPU across both cores never hit 50%, zero frame drops, so even if multi-threading isn't working it looks like my CPU can handle it. Excellent.

Above Acchi Kocchi episode 2 @ 19:53 - subtitle performance is definitely improved, but one CPU core pegged at 100% and the video (and subtitles) fell well behind (but at least never froze completely). This also happened when I turned on "Override ASS subtitle fonts" - the fonts are not the issue here, but a combination of the effects and placement I think. BTW switching this on really should be available in the audio options when playing back.

Not capable of playing back 1080p without frame drops.

Other than that, I saw no glitches, audio playback was perfect, so if you're running an OpenELEC box I strongly advise you to try the above build and report back.
Just registered to say thanks, and report my results. I tried r10940 on two computers, and it worked flawlessly on both.

Computer A: Pentium [email protected] GHz, 2GB DDR RAM, Gigabyte GeForce 210. Computer B: Core2Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 RAM, the same Gigabyte GeForce 210. 8-bit content plays great on both, using VDPAU.

The only two files I had to test were the opening to Escaflowne (filename "(G_P) Escaflowne - Opening(1080p 10-bit)(F96BDA6B).mkv") and the first episode of Fate/Zero (filename "[UTW]_Fate_Zero_-_01_[BD][h264-1080p_FLAC][50256238].mkv").

I tried the first on Computer A, and it played fine with some dropped frames. I was honestly surprised at how well it played, given the age of the hardware. It was choppy, but by no means unwatchable. I remember some 720p 8-bit content playing more choppily than this on the same PC before I was using XBMC with VDPAU. I did not bother trying the second file on this computer.

Both files played beautifully on Computer B. Some movement-heavy scenes (snow) got the CPU up to about 60% momentarily, but otherwise it sat around 30-35%.

I should mention that this was one of my first experiences with the new AudioEngine, and there was absolutely no setup involved to make sound work. If I wanted, I could go to the audio settings and choose HDMI then the proper output, but even that wasn't strictly necessary to start hearing sound. So much nicer than using SSH and aplay -l.

Thank you for getting the builds out there!
I'm trying to get my own builds working, but there's something a bit messed up with mine and it's putting the wrong XBMC version (11.0 instead of 12.0-ALPHA) and git commit into my build, so I've obviously screwed up somewhere. Also my audio options differ greatly between my build and the ones above.

Two things I've noticed with these builds:

1. Once you've installed one, to upgrade in the future you must copy the KERNEL.md5 and SYSTEM.md5 to the update folder along with KERNEL and SYSTEM. I spent quite a while wondering why I couldn't update ... I vaguely recall seeing something about that at one point.

2. I've been noticing that resuming from sleep is having a few problems. If I put the machine to sleep and immediately wake it up, everything is fine. But if I leave it overnight, when it wakes up it appears to be frozen. I'll do some more investigating and see if I can narrow down what's happening. Can you see if you get the same problems?
I've been having problems with sleep on a third PC, an E8200 with an ASUS GT520. I started having problems with (I think) OpenELEC 1.95.3. The machine seems to wake up, but nothing comes on the screen and I can't contact it over the network (even ping). I have the same problem with the above builds.

However, I also have the problem with standard XBMCbuntu when I compile my own build and install it. Sleep/resume works fine after running make, fails after "make install prefix=/usr". I can see the bottom almost-half of what looks like "last cmd=0x00170500", but my TV is cutting off the top half, so I have to guess at the 5.

I've tried apt-get upgrading everything, even a do-release-upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04. This doesn't seem to break anything, but it also doesn't fix this problem.

Not sure this is the same as your problem though, because it doesn't matter how long I leave the PC asleep.
Just as an FYI to anyone subscribed to this thread - I asked NVIDIA if they plan to support hardware decoding of Hi10P in the future and their answer was a definitive "no."

So far, my experience building from git has been than 1080p hi10p is an absolute no-go on first-generation ION. a 29FPS file plays at about 13FPS Sad

Would an ION2 box be much better?
(2012-05-16, 13:40)blm14 Wrote: Just as an FYI to anyone subscribed to this thread - I asked NVIDIA if they plan to support hardware decoding of Hi10P in the future and their answer was a definitive "no."

HAHHA, no surprise there.

ion2 will be just as cpu limited. it's not happening. you want to play these files, you have to go desktop level on the hw.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7