Zotec ND22 - Good replacement for ATV?
So I've been using a first generation AppleTV running XBMC for quite some time.

I replaced the wireless card with the graphics card to support high-def (sorry brain fart and the name eludes me right now).

Thinking of upgrading though to something a little snappier.

Thinking of going with the Zotec ND22 box and throwing a terrabyte drive in it with 8GB of ram. Anybody have any experience with that box?

Don't have the time or inclination to "build my own". With three kids time is at a premium.

Figure I can pick up the Zotec and pop in the live cd and be off to the races.

Thoughts?

I'm going under the assumption that box is going to support 1080P with no issues.

Darryl
I think the Zotec ND22 takes 2.5" disks, so you won't be able to put a 1TB drive in it (yet). It should work with XBMCLive, though if you plan to use the wireless card check that is supported by XBMCLive.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I think the Zotec ND22 takes 2.5" disks, so you won't be able to put a 1TB drive in it (yet). It should work with XBMCLive, though if you plan to use the wireless card check that is supported by XBMCLive.

JR
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I have a ND22 and the wireless does not work out of the box on a live install, though I have not tried to get it working either.
I had some problems with a ssd not being recognized on reboots and eventually switched to a regular disk to remedy the problem, the ssd works great in a friends laptop btw..
Getting suspend and resume to work with a remote takes some tweaking but is doable. All and all it is a decent little machine for the price. Plays 1080P content over HDMI no problem and does all surround formats except straight LPCM via HDMI flawlessly.
8GB of ram? are you really sure u need thisHuh?
ddale Wrote:So I've been using a first generation AppleTV running XBMC for quite some time.

I replaced the wireless card with the graphics card to support high-def (sorry brain fart and the name eludes me right now).

Thinking of upgrading though to something a little snappier.

Thinking of going with the Zotec ND22 box and throwing a terrabyte drive in it with 8GB of ram. Anybody have any experience with that box?

Don't have the time or inclination to "build my own". With three kids time is at a premium.

Figure I can pick up the Zotec and pop in the live cd and be off to the races.

Thoughts?

I'm going under the assumption that box is going to support 1080P with no issues.

Darryl

You should try the nightly builds with dirty regions on (see Working with dirty regions) and/or a linux install on your ATV1. The nightly with DR alone has made my ATV1 a lot more snappy.
Ned Scott Wrote:You should try the nightly builds with dirty regions on (see Working with dirty regions) and/or a linux install on your ATV1. The nightly with DR alone has made my ATV1 a lot more snappy.

I should note though that I LOVE Zotac's products and my main HTPC and file server is a miniITX ATOM Zotac motherboard (literally just the motherboard. I have no case for it and it sits under the TV. probably not good for dust.) I also have a second zotac miniITX motherboard that I got on sale that will also become an HTPC.

Zotac themselves likes to demo their products using XBMC Live, as well.
There's at least two 1TB 2.5" 9mm drives on the market, and if your drive bay can take 12mm drives then I think they go up to 1.5TB currently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotec ND22 - Good replacement for ATV?0