[LIVE] No network connection after install
hello,

yesterday was a rainy day so I decided to reinstall my media center and change from windows + vlc to XBMC.

my system is a Terra Nettop 3100 (http://www.terra-it-welt.de/terra-pc-1/b...eedos.html)

first i played a little bit with the live cd, most things work fine except some 720p issues. i decided to install the system using the live cd, but during the setup my network card was not recognized, the hardware detection does not find any network card. using the live cd everything works fine (dhcp).

after some google searches there is evidence that i only have to add some lines for the network configuration to the etc/network/interfaces (ex http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Con..._XBMC_Live). but i am not sure if that is really everything i have to do - is there no need for a seperate driver for the network card? i haven't tried it right now because of lack of time and a wife that was not happy about my experiments Angry

i have nearly no experience using xbmc / linux so i will be very glad for a detailed instruction or description how to enable the builtin network card.

thanks in advance!
^push^
is there no one who had experience with the JMicron (JMC260) network chipset?

yesterday I tried to access the console but after pressing CTRL+ALT+F(1-12) my tv (LG LCD) only shows "no signal".

i think making a clean install of ubuntu and install xbmc manually is the better way than using the livecd?

thnaks
You could give the xbmc-freak liveCD a go.

It is built around Ubuntu 11.04 so is more up to date and will have more drivers loading etc...

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-liv...dharma-v2/

It can take a few seconds when switching with CTRL+ALT on my LG TV (takes about 5 seconds), but if you can get to the console the output of

lspci

May help with diagnosing, but I would try the natty live CD as it use's an updated kernel
thanks - i will try it tomorrow. maybe i was too impatiently switching to the console ...

thanks a lot
at the weekend i found a hour to play a little bit around Smile

network is now up (i only need to insert the lines in the etc/network/interfaces files) and works like a charm Smile

the problem with xbmc together with at least my LG TV is, that the TV must be on when starting the PC running XBMC - otherwise there will be no picture after switching to the console. it takes me some time to find the reason why i can't see anything Smile

i also tried the xbmcfreak live version, but there i had problems with the soundcard, so i decided to stay at the "official" version.
overall the system works fine now, my major problem is at the moment that the sound is very, very silent and the amplifier has to do a lot of work until i hear something - if i switch back to FM radio for example i get a shock because of the high volume ... however, i will find a solution.

thanks for your support!
try running alsamixer on the console. You should be able to raise the volume there.
thanks, yesterday i found the "audiomixer" and turned up the volume Smile i also installed the latest ion2 drivers yesterday, today i will try to play a 1080p movie - if this works fine too (with xbmc installed on windows 7 this was not possible) i am very happy with the xbmc Smile

next step is to find a suitable solution for audio management - i am a little bit petted with itunes + remote solution (this works really perfect), but i am sure to find a suitable app for xbmc too. at the moment i am playing around with xbmc commander (iphone app), but the problem is that i am not yet familiar with the database handling of xbmc (for example compliations are not recognized as compilations and so on) and therefore the navigation using a database-based client is hard Smile
NO Ethernet or WiFi

installed xbmc from live cd to acer aspire one netbook
during install no network card was detected
after booting edited /etc/network/interfaces it was empty, added lines to enable eth0 and set static ip
executed: /etc/init.d/networking restart
ping to my router ok but ping to outside ip or name not ok
edited /etc/resolve.conf added my dns' but still no ping to url or even ip outside my net
WiFi: managed to start the wifi adapter and set my essid by editing Interfaces but still cannot connect to network

I am completely new to Linux... any help will be appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No network connection after install0