To build or not to build this unRaid Server (based off eskros beginner unRaid server
New here to the community and New to xbmc. Got my HTPC up and running and Love it. but currently I am streaming my media off my main desktop that I use everyday and only has 500 gigs. I am collecting movies and tv shows very fast thanks to couch potato and sickbeard. I haved 40 gigs left. Plus I hate having to leave my main desktop that I use for web surfing and emails and all that running 24/7.

So looks like I will be creating an unRaid Server. Without very much money left after building an htpc I am def on a budget. So I like Eskro's entry level unRaid server which most of my parts will be from.

Thank you eskro and all with your guides and what not has helped me very much. Within 2 weeks I started from never hearing of what an HTPC is to having one and its running great and streaming my media. Now I am doing the same again, never new anything about servers never heard of unRaid until now!

On to my build I just want to make 100% sure this is all compatible and will all work together well and make sure I am not missing anything before I do this build.

[MOBO+iGPU] ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3+ HD4250 Micro-ATX ($80 + $0)
[PSU] CORSAIR CMPSU-430CX 430W 80Plus certified ATX12V ($40 + $0)
[Processor] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103903
[Case] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129066

[RAM] Not sure yet but I want ddr3 4 gig of ram

Am I missing anything. I know I am missing sata cables and Hard drives but I will buy one drive at a time and as needed I will purchase more and more.

Any Comments or Concerns feel free to let me know I dont want to screw this up ha. Also not 100% set on this case if you feel there is a better one let me know or even a smaller one I wouldnt mind either Smile

Thanks in Advance.
all looks perfect to me!

that case is actually very very good!

it almost made its way to my unRAID Server Guide!

HOwever, since i was after the 'best Entry-Level unRAID Server Build money can buy'

i had to go with the ANTEC VSK-2000!
it ends up to $60 too in end because u need to buy 2 x $7 --> 120mm antec tricool-fans
but u can actually squeeze'in 12 drives!

the Antec Three Hundred is also $60 (usually)
and max expansion is 11 drives...

But i repeat,
the Antec Three Hundred is an awesome server case!!
Thank you eskro Smile
AMD II and 4gig ram has been plenty for the SAB+Sickbeard+CP+headphones combo for me so far.

Seems a popular combo.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Now heres a question for you guys. Since I never built a server pc or anything before. Do you run them monitorless? or do you have a monitor on them. If no monitor how do use them to download your NZBs with CP and Sickbeard and all.
u can access your server from any computer on your network,,,,
Usually you run a setup such as this headless (monitorless). The apps you listed are administered through a web GUI (so no monitor needed).

To download NZB's, I just have a folder shared out where I dump the nzb files. Sab will then scan the folder and load the nzb's automatically.

It is a very elegant setup Smile
You'll only need a monitor/keyboard for when you first boot up to setup your BIOS. After that you can do just about everything via telnet or web-based GUI.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:You'll only need a monitor/keyboard for when you first boot up to setup your BIOS.

Or get one of those Supermicro mobos with IPMI. No peripheral ever has to touch one of those boards. Tweak absolutely everthing remotely, including BIOS!
Spritzup Wrote:Usually you run a setup such as this headless (monitorless). The apps you listed are administered through a web GUI (so no monitor needed).

To download NZB's, I just have a folder shared out where I dump the nzb files. Sab will then scan the folder and load the nzb's automatically.

It is a very elegant setup Smile

CP and Sick Beard automatically adding nzbs to the que and auto updating your XBMC library with artwork are even more elegant., IMO. But I also use a drop folder sometimes. Now that installing and restarting all 3 python apps are built in as scripts in UnMenu its dead easy to integrate CP and Sick Beard.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Sweet I totally forgot that sickbeard and cp and headphones can be accessed via the web. I'll look into what UnMenu is. Seems like hardest part is going to be setting it all up after that it seems like a breeze to manage everything!

Thanks for the help everyone Smile
UnRaid comes with a very basic web interface built in for setting up your shares and users but UnMenu is an enhanced web interface that allows for more detailed monitoring of your disk array and also automatic installers for various popular UnRaid associated scripts. It also has an installer for the script that will automatically shut down your array when it gets an alarm from your UPC that the power has gone out, for example. They just added SAB-SB-CP to the list of default auto-installable scripts. Headphones involves some basic line commands to install however.
seand Wrote:UnRaid comes with a very basic web interface built in for setting up your shares and users but UnMenu is an enhanced web interface that allows for more detailed monitoring of your disk array and also automatic installers for various popular UnRaid associated scripts. It also has an installer for the script that will automatically shut down your array when it gets an alarm from your UPC that the power has gone out, for example. They just added SAB-SB-CP to the list of default auto-installable scripts. Headphones involves some basic line commands to install however.

Thanks. I don't use headphones really till I figure it out more and have it auto process otherwise my music is very un organized. Still trying to figure that part out. In xbmc I'll have to scrape for my music and I'll have the same artist listed 5 times over.. Would be nice to have the artist listed once then you select artist and you see the albums..
Headphones is still a work in progress. He's really cranking out the changes though. Seems like everytime I look at the web interface to add a new artists he's done 2 or 3 more commits in the mean time. When I first used it less than a month ago - very unstable - now about where CP was a year ago.

The Post processing is good but it seems to have problems with eponymous album titles still i.e. lots of files on usenet will have the name of the band twice in the file which causes problems when it looks for self-titled albums. Then it posts processes them as the album it was looking for instead of the one it mistakenly grabbed. But at the rate he's improving I don't think it will take long.

My XBMC sucks at identifying my iTunes library over SMB but it works great with Headphones post-processed shares so far (provided Headphones gets the right album). So for now separate libraries, though I may consolidate, post process and then readd to iTunes and see how that goes soon.
Okay I'll have to take a look at it again because I couldn't find any post processing at all. And as for music it will mostly come from usenet as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To build or not to build this unRaid Server (based off eskros beginner unRaid server0