Black screen after long idle time?
I often play music on XBMC at night then hit 'stop' and turn the TV off for the night. XBMC is at the standard file list as the TV is turned off. In the morning when I turn it back on, XBMC has gone into a black screen that it doesn't seem to be able to get out of - I end up having to close and reopen it.

Latest XBMC on Win7 connected to TV via HDMI. the HDMI feed is working fine - I can alt tab and see what's going on in Windows and so on. It's just XBMC has gone black and has to be restarted.

Any ideas?
On closer inspection I believe this is caused by my PC's screen resolution being changed when the TV is turned off. Apparently the change in resolution results in XBMC only showing a black screen. Is this a bug? Anyone know how to fix it?
I have had the same issue for a couple years. It's persisted from Windows XP through Windows 7. I think you're right, something is happening when I turn off my HDTV when it's connected to the HDMI input on my PC. I don't know if it's the resolution specifically. The only workaround I've found is to shut down XBMC (leave Windows running) before turning off my TV.
Edit: What model TV do you use? Mine is a Toshiba Regza 42RV530U. Wondering if it's only specific to some TVs.
Sony Bravia 40" although I had the same issue on a Samsung LCD series 5 40" - it's not the TV causing the issues.

I believe it's OpenGL or whatever it is XBMC uses crashing that causes the black screen. I had my TV with XBMC left on for about 12 hours without doing anything and saw the screen go black in exactly the same way (not able to replicate this very well though) - I think it is more a problem with a buggy graphics card or GPU drivers. I was using an Nvidia 8800gtx that was a couple of years old.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen after long idle time?0