Best way to mount a remote NAS in Kodi?
I have a Zyxel NSA325 v2 NAS. What is the best way of adding a share from it from a remote/external Kodi install? Setting up FTP?

I have a Windows PC with the needed share mounted, running 24/7 also if that helps, but I guess connecting directly to the NAS is the optimal solution.
If you have it mounted in windows, then it should be as easy as adding that "drive" locally as a source.
(2016-10-03, 19:27)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: If you have it mounted in windows, then it should be as easy as adding that "drive" locally as a source.

I forgot to mentioned that the Windows PC is on the same network as the NAS. The Kodi client is external. I have static IP btw.
It depends on what the NAS and your router can offer. Other options are WebDAV and port forwarding on the router. Given you're talking external access from the wider internet into your local intranet (if I'm understanding the situation correctly) then of course security concerns need to be considered that any such remote access is controlled and secure (usernames/passwords/restrictions on accessible IP addresses etc) so as not to leave yourself wide open to hacking abuse.

Essentially you need to set up a controlled path through your router to either the NAS or the PC, depending on which of them you want to actually act as the server supplying the remote/external Kodi client. It may also need consideration as to your network speed, as don't forget from the Kodi end you are uploading stuff to it via your ISP rather than downloading, and in many cases ISP's upload speeds are significantly lower than their download speeds (biased that way as it's what most users are primarily doing).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to mount a remote NAS in Kodi?0