[Mac][AppleTV1] Help With NFS
Buadhai Wrote:Tried and failed. I could see and mount the NFS share from Mac clients. I could see, but not mount the share from XBMX clients.

Did you add the "insecure" option to your /etc/exports under linux? (as mentioned in the wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Did you add the "insecure" option to your /etc/exports under linux? (as mentioned in the wiki)

I got it working. I had the insecure in there, but I had the user mapping wrong.

Code:
/home/mnewman/Videos    *(rw,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=501))

And, it works fine. XBMC can play videos an NFS server on Linux.

So, something wrong with the NFS server on Snow Leopard. But, I have no idea how to fix it.
So i'm watching a movie with the snow leo nfs server right now for about 13 mins without probs. Here my exports:

Code:
/nfstest -mapall=501 -alldirs

I bet this is nothing you wanted to here. But i can't reproduce your problems Sad.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:I bet this is nothing you wanted to here. But i can't reproduce your problems Sad.

Thank you very much for trying.

Just what I was afraid of: a problem that exists only when I'm in close proximity.

I'll keep plugging.

Does this give any clue:

Code:
Bleach:~ mnewman$ sudo nano /etc/exports
Bleach:~ mnewman$ sudo nfsd restart
Bleach:~ mnewman$ ps -ax | grep nfsd
7767 ttys000    0:00.00 grep nfsd
Bleach:~ mnewman$ sudo nfsd restart
The nfsd service does not appear to be running.
Starting the nfsd service
Bleach:~ mnewman$ ps -ax | grep nfsd
7770 ??         0:00.01 /sbin/nfsd -N
7773 ttys000    0:00.00 grep nfsd

If I edit /etc/exports, I have to give the restart command twice before the nfsd service starts running.
don't know ... just do stop and start instead... What type of network equipment do you use from your atv to the mac?
If I user stop and start I have to use start twice as well.

Both ATVs (ver 1 and 2) are wireless N. Works fine with SMB. I also have XBMC on a wired Mac Mini. It also cannot stream via NFS.

In enabled verbose logging for nfsd and found this tidbit:

Code:
8/3/11 12:42:28 PM    /sbin/nfsd[16406]    Too many groups for mnewman
Now that I have verbose logging, I see this error message every time XBMC locks up:

Code:
8/3/11 1:21:40 PM    kernel    nfsd send error 40

I cannot find a reference that includes that error message or that error number.
Buadhai Wrote:Now that I have verbose logging, I see this error message every time XBMC locks up:

Code:

I cannot find a reference that includes that error message or that error number.

This seems to be an unsolvable problem. I've asked this question on a couple of Apple forums and no one seems to know what this error message means.

Any suggestions on where else I might go?
darkscout Wrote:Next time you go to the gas station, don't put diesel in your fuel tank. No guarantees that it'll work.

That's a very poor comparison, and implies the OP is dumb enough to have done something as stupid as that.
Buadhai Wrote:Now that I have verbose logging, I see this error message every time XBMC locks up:

Code:

error 40 means "message to big" or something like that ... but i don't get the fact that it works here with 10.6.8 - so we should have the exactly same nfs server ... strange
Quartermass Wrote:
darkscout Wrote:Next time you go to the gas station, don't put diesel in your fuel tank. No guarantees that it'll work.
That's a very poor comparison, and implies the OP is dumb enough to have done something as stupid as that.

You're right. That post was both mean spirited and inappropriate. The rather nasty rant that it contained was based on the erroneous assumption that I am running Lion.

I did run Lion for a few hours but reverted to Snow Leopard when I found that my CIFS network was broken.

I'm now in the process of looking for an alternative to the CIFS networking (smbx?) that Apple created for Lion.
Memphiz Wrote:error 40 means "message to big" or something like that ... but i don't get the fact that it works here with 10.6.8 - so we should have the exactly same nfs server ... strange

Here's a possible clue: I have to run 'start' and 'restart' twice to get the nfsd process to actually run. I assume you don't? What could cause that?

(I think another Snow Leopard user reported the same thing.)
my nfsd starts fine at first try. I don't know thatbmuch about osx low level service stuff though. But somehow i don't think that this is the cause of your problem...

Do you know what wireshark is? It could make a traffic snapshot of your lan when the error occurs. If this is a problem with libnfs - then the upstream dev would need such a traffic capture...
I have Wireshark. It's working. The up and downstream devices are the same machine.

What do I look for?
I a capture while XBMC on my MacMini was playing a video file on my MacMini; but using NFS. I assumed that this traffic would loop back through the router on port 2049. I guess not. Wireshark captured no traffic on port 2049. I guess the OS is smart enough to know that the NFS server is on the same machine?

I also tried a capture while XBMC on an ATV1 was playing (or tried to play) a video file on the MacMini using NFS. In this case there was tons of NFS traffic on Port 2049. The video didn't even start to play and XBMC simply froze up.

But, I have no idea what to look for in the log file. Here are the last few frames:

xbmc_atv1_nfs

(This is a capture of the server side only.)

BTW. I had to restart the MacMini this morning and realized that the nfsd process does not start automatically. It should if there is an /etc/exports file. I had to start it manually. This is very odd.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mac][AppleTV1] Help With NFS0