Starting library from scratch
So I have two different questions. I am starting to use xbmc, and I am planning on backing up my entire dvd and blu ray library. I have anydvd HD and plan on using this to do it. For either dvd or blu ray I really am not concerned with any extras, wouldnt mind subtitles but 99.99% of the time dont use them, just wouldnt mind the option. So my questions are

1. What is the best format to backup dvd to keep both video and audio quality. AnyDVD HD can do both .iso or a video_ts folder. Which one is the better system to use. From what I read, XBMC can play both. In addition, if I choose the video_ts folder, can I simply remove the largest video file and just keep that and discard everything else? why keep all the other stuff brought with it?

2. What is the best format for Blu-ray back up. I think I read that so far XBMC can not play back iso format, but it will be able to in the future. I'm more concerned with the future, so if it is better to do the iso I would rather do that. In addition, when doing the video folder, what files could be deleted vs what needs to be kept. the organization is completely different than dvd's and im still very new to all of this.

I appreciate any guidance that you would be able to offer. Oh, and I only plan on using these files on xbmc or computer play back of some sort, im not concerned with space either.
XBMC Live reads iso images on mine just fine.

I usually rip down highest quality audio and 720p. Keeps them around 4-6gb or so for the most part and don't have to sit through annoying dvd menus. Just push the button and it plays.
Personally, if I were to rip the movies, I'd use MakeMKV (one single file, full quality video, full quality audio, multiple audio/subtitle tracks if desired, etc).

However, since I usually transcode (I have limited disk space), handbrake (for Mac) is perfect for me.

Hope that helps.
lehite Wrote:Personally, if I were to rip the movies, I'd use MakeMKV (one single file, full quality video, full quality audio, multiple audio/subtitle tracks if desired, etc).

However, since I usually transcode (I have limited disk space), handbrake (for Mac) is perfect for me.

Hope that helps.

Does this work for both dvd and blu ray. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the advice.
HiDdEnTaLnT Wrote:Does this work for both dvd and blu ray. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, both DVD and bluray.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting library from scratch0