Older MB/CPU worthy of HD playback?
Got a friend who has an older motherboard, it's got an Athlon 64 X2 6400+ CPU and looks to have a PCIe x16.

I was thinking of trying the Asus GT430 video card to see if it's got the juice for HD playback. Anyone know off hand? He's a few states away so if anyone has any real experience that would be great. MB only supports up to 4G, and that DDR memory is expensive, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the experiment.

Trying to use what he has, but still get some components he can bring to a new build if this works and he gets the cash for newer stuff.

Thanks...

EDIT: he's planning on running Win7 on this, needs Hulu/Netflix

Motherboard seems to be a WinFast 761GXK8MB
The GT430 will provide hardware HD video decoding, meaning the load on the CPU will be minimal. You should have no issues.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
If my 12 year old Pentium 3 with an 8400GS video card can do high bitrate 1080p than any setup with a PCI-e slot and discrete video card will have no problem.
Cool, now to see about scrounging up some memory for his board... I figured this was the case, but since he's already questioning a modern build's cpabilities, he's extra skeptical on hardware he's abandoned as obsolete years ago, and I didn't want to promise the stars and not have it deliver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Older MB/CPU worthy of HD playback?0