Which Ubuntu version the XBMC runs the best / problem free under?
Hi,

I'm running quite outdated XBMC release under Ubuntu 8.04 at the moment (it has been running great over the last couple of years btw - thx all dev-s for the great product!). Will be upgrading Ubuntu to smth more recent in the coming days.

I wonder if there is any recommendation in terms of which Ubuntu release is best supported at the moment and gives the least number of headaches in terms of setup? I recall I had to tweak ALSA & nVidia drivers back then, as well as fiddle with remote. Trying to see if the amount of 'tweaking' can be minimized Smile.

My setup is plain desktop (not ATOM based ION box) with nVidia card & MS Remote in case that matters.

Any hints / experience / recommendation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Vlad
Well I can't say what is the 'best' but 10.10 is working 98% for me. My only issue is the occasional stutter / FPS slowdown, but not sure if that is OS/kernel related or nVidia driver related. Install Ubuntu Tweak and turn off Compiz, and you'll be all set.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Thanks. Any other opinions / experience? What about 32 vs 64 bits? Does XBMC , ALSA drivers & XBMC plugins compile & run OK under 64bit?
Why do you think you need 64 bit? What benefits do you think you will receive from it? The only real benefit for a 64 bit OS is the ability to use more RAM. If you're not maxing your <4GB of RAM already, adding more is not going to yield any tangible beneficial results. What you may run into is odd bits of software that do not play well with a full 64 bit OS, or possible driver issues.

I'm running XBMC on a Maverick build, and haven't really noticed any glaring issues.
Just asking Smile. I believe all recent 32 bit Ubuntu releases come with PAE compiled into the kernel, so 4Gb OS-wide limit does not exist (i don't have any process which would single-handedly take up 4Gb). So, asking more out of curiosity. On the other hand, the box is not dedicated to HTPC, so it runs some server software (for LAMP sites) for prototyping & such. In some cases 64 bit OS might be beneficial, but it's not overly crucial.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Ubuntu version the XBMC runs the best / problem free under?0