Backing up XBMC
Is anyone out there backing up their XBMC installation? Specifically XBMCLive?

Just did a reinstall and got everything back to the way I like it. Tempted to have a play with the PVR branch but don't want to risk mucking everything up.

So was thinking I could clone/image the drive and do a restore in the event everything goes to poop.

Can anyone out there recommend a good tool (preferably free) for doing this?

Cheers
free: clonezilla. Works VERY good compared do non free. "GUI" not that good.

None free: norton ghost or acronis true image. I really like the latter but I now only use clonezilla since acronis struggle with some USB disks.
I like Acronis True Image, but it's not free.

DiscWizard is a free clone of Acronis True Image. I've never tried it, but hear good things.

DriveImage XML (also free) is supposed to be good as well.
Thanks for the responses guys will give your recommendations a crack.
I use Clonezilla Live CD
I use windows back up on windows 7 and it's alot easier to use than norton ghost or even Drive image. Plus it's freeNod
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
PANiCnz Wrote:Is anyone out there backing up their XBMC installation? Specifically XBMCLive?

Just did a reinstall and got everything back to the way I like it. Tempted to have a play with the PVR branch but don't want to risk mucking everything up.

So was thinking I could clone/image the drive and do a restore in the event everything goes to poop.

Can anyone out there recommend a good tool (preferably free) for doing this?

Cheers

for my 4 gb usb hd, used dd to create a bak of the drive and save it on my server... have needed to restore from it a few times. e.g.:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=xbmc-bak.iso
paul Wrote:I use windows back up on windows 7 and it's alot easier to use than norton ghost or even Drive image. Plus it's freeNod

windows-7 is not free Smile
schneidz Wrote:for my 4 gb usb hd, used dd to create a bak of the drive and save it on my server... have needed to restore from it a few times. e.g.:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=xbmc-bak.iso
How would you go about restoring the image? This sounds like the most simply and easiest solution!
PANiCnz Wrote:How would you go about restoring the image? This sounds like the most simply and easiest solution!
Code:
dd if=xbmc-bak.iso of=/dev/sdb
consider filling the empty space of the disk with 0's.
aalso consider piping the command thru bzip2.
Hi Guys,

Just got XBMC Live running sweet but I was a little worried because the usb I used is a freebie from a conference. So I bought myself a nice little 4GB Sandisk USB.

I've used the xbmc bootable drive wizard on the new usb drive. It's a clean install, all working fine. How do I go about copying my config files from the old usb to the new? Specifically, which files/folders do I need to copy across?

Many thanks Smile
Quote:Hi Guys,

Search the forum (use google) or start a new thread!
I have used google, and the search tool - nothing in detail on backup to a NEW usb. And didn't want to start a new thread when this one is basically referring to the same thing.

I guess what I'm really asking is does the partition size matter (new usb is 4GB, old was 2GB) or can I just copy the live-rw file across?
^ gparted-live, maybe
Ended up just doing a full reinstall on to the new USB. Was much faster than my first go (10 mins instead of 8 hours!).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backing up XBMC0