Network settings: mac address
i would like to enter a mac address in the network settings menu. my isp only allows 1 registered mac address (of the pc). therefore i cannot use functions like webradio or view trailers.
in the original ms dash it's possible to enter these advanced network settings.
i would expect that if you change the mac address through the ms dash, xbmc (and any other dash) would use that mac address. they are just getting the mac address out of the eeprom.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
yes, but i cannot setup the mac address in the ms dash anymore... the settings aren't saved because no connection can be made with the microsoft server (modded xbox)
it's probably not a good idea to have two machines with the same mac address on the network. you should really hide your xbox and your computer behind a linksys/netgear/dlink broadband router so that your isp only thinks there's one device. they all allow you to change the wan mac address for this reason.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
you can't have same mac address, since then they can't communicate when they are on the same localnet(ie no router in between).

(elupus @ mar. 20 2005,20:56 Wrote:you can't have same mac address, since then they can't communicate when they are on the same localnet(ie no router in between).
ok. i see there's no other option than to buy a router in which a mac address can be entered. then the local network stays intact.
hi all,

i love xbmc. i live in a draconian college dorm, which only allows one "registered computer" per port. i could get around this with a router, but then i wouldn't have access to the college network shares. i want to connect my xbox sometimes to the network, and unplug my computer. however, my port is mapped to the mac on my pc. is there anyway using xbmc to spoof or "change" the mac address?

thanks!
the only way to change the mac address is to use tools that allow you to change eeprom contents (which xbmc does not.) ask at www.xbox-scene.com.
(lettuce @ jan. 30 2006,21:52 Wrote:hi all,

i love xbmc. i live in a draconian college dorm, which only allows one "registered computer" per port. i could get around this with a router, but then i wouldn't have access to the college network shares. i want to connect my xbox sometimes to the network, and unplug my computer. however, my port is mapped to the mac on my pc. is there anyway using xbmc to spoof or "change" the mac address?

thanks!
most routers today allow you to clone a mac address. find the mac address of the computer you currently have plugged into the port and clone this on the router. then, with nat enabled, the dorm network won't be able to tell that you're behind a router since any traffic on your local net is invisible to the rest of the world.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network settings: mac address0