• 1(current)
WebDAV sharing for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
Found this by chance and thought I would share. Although it is possible to set up WebDAV on Mac OS X, there's no "easy" way to do it. Then I found Media Master Server on the Mac App Store for free.

It came up when I did a search for webDAV but contained no real description and very few people seem to have even tried it out. However, given it came up as a search result for webDAV, and what little description there was, I figured it really was just a simple webDAV server wrapped up into a very simple GUI. It's a companion app to a paid application for the iPad, but the free server works anything that supports webDAV.

The only catch is you have to download it from the Mac App Store, but since this is mainly of interest to 10.7 users who have lost SMB sharing that's not really an issue.

You set the folder you want to share, you can set a username and a password (optional), port, and if you want to use secure HTTP. It couldn't be any easier.

The minimum requirements state 10.5, so 10.6 users can test it out to see if it will be a solution for them before updating. So far I've had no problems with it.
Thanks for sharing! Works great! Very easy to set up, and works with Lion.
Does it support all the metadata like posters, fan art, .nfo files etc? If so that sounds excellent. I've been using an app called Playback (which costs £10 but I snagged a freebie) which also serves media really easily via a nice GUI on the server-side and UPnP but it doesn't seem to support the metadata SickBeard and CouchPotato have found. That doesn't spoil my enjoyment of watching the shows, but it would be nice to see it again! Smile
Haven't tried it yet but just wanted to say thanks for finding it.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

How do you set up XBMC to find it? I've found the place to enter my webdav https settings but what do I put for network location and path?
I choose http webdav (not https) in XBMC then enter in the server address the IP of the device you have your files on (iMac, Macbook..) in network location, path needs nothing to enter, enter username and password you set in MediaMasterServer.
Just updated to 10.7 Lion, completely lost SMB, finally installed a Webdav server and have excellent results to share:

In the past, with my AppleTV2 and SMB served on iMac running 10.6.8, I was not able to play 720p or 1080i videos, it would constantly buffer and the stream became horribly, unwatchable. After changing every setting in my router, going completely wired 1000gbps to the router on both machine and atv2, I realized it was doomed.

Today I installed MediaMaster Server from app store onto my iMac 10.7 OS, then plugged in the info on XBMC-AppleTV2ndGen and started it up and loaded movies very fast, streaming without any buffering or trouble. I then decided to pull over my largest encoded video, ~4.5GB 1080i 'The Last Airbender' and I watched for 15mins skipping scenes and testing it out, works perfectly. So that tells me that something w/ SMB protocol is jamming the atv2 or something from 10.6 OS X.

In turn I am happy,very very happy I can throw HD content at XBMC on ATV2 via MediaMaster Server via iMac 10.7 connected to Time Capsule at 802.11n to AppleTV ethernet connected and have no buffering or streaming issue.

Thanks Dev's and community.
I think the MediaMaster Server guys are going to be confused when they see a huge spike in their download results :D
Ned Scott Wrote:I think the MediaMaster Server guys are going to be confused when they see a huge spike in their download results Big Grin

took it before getting charged. Smile
Hi guys,

I am very very new to all this. I see this is possiblythe easiest way to connect to xbmc via my 24" iMac with Lion. Thanks to everyone that has put it together.

When i try and add the videos on the xbmc I get an error "Cannot connect to network". Can anyone help me with this and what i may be doing wrong? xbmc connects fine to the router and gets the internet but i can't get it to connect with my mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sam
funkdemon Wrote:Hi guys,

I am very very new to all this. I see this is possiblythe easiest way to connect to xbmc via my 24" iMac with Lion. Thanks to everyone that has put it together.

When i try and add the videos on the xbmc I get an error "Cannot connect to network". Can anyone help me with this and what i may be doing wrong? xbmc connects fine to the router and gets the internet but i can't get it to connect with my mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sam

You're going to have to tell us more than that for us to help you. Tell us what version of XBMC you are running, what device (ATV2, iPad, iPhone, etc), every step taken to get to the point of the error, are you on wireless or wired, what settings are set in MediaMaster Server, and maybe the XBMC.log file.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
Thanks for the great info. I have an ATV2, with Lion on my mac. I have downloaded mediamaster, however, on XBMC I do not have http (webdav) as an option. Could someone please walk me through what I am missing, or even a step by step. Thanks
funkdemon Wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Sam
Hi funkdemon, i had the same problem and finally got it to work. i wasn't using a pw on media master and therefore didn't click the "secure" box in the setup. I tried the same setup but with that box clicked. as soon as i clicked that box everything showed up on xbmc for me and it plays fine now.
bogner Wrote:Hi funkdemon, i had the same problem and finally got it to work. i wasn't using a pw on media master and therefore didn't click the "secure" box in the setup. I tried the same setup but with that box clicked. as soon as i clicked that box everything showed up on xbmc for me and it plays fine now.

That shouldn't matter. I'm running MediaMaster Server with a password and don't have the secure checkbox checked. Checking it or not would change if you select "WebDAV server (HTTP)" vs "WebDAV server (HTTPS)" when you add a network location.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WebDAV sharing for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion0