• 2(current)
WebDAV sharing for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
genoa120 Wrote:Thanks for the great info. I have an ATV2, with Lion on my mac. I have downloaded mediamaster, however, on XBMC I do not have http (webdav) as an option. Could someone please walk me through what I am missing, or even a step by step. Thanks

From the main menu:

Video
select "Library" submenu

Select "Files"

Select "Add Videos"

Select "Browse"

scroll down and select "Add network location"

Change "Protocol" to "WebDAV server (HTTP)"

Server name will be the IP address computer hosting the files

Shared folder can be left blank

Port on MediaMaster Server can be changed but is 8000 by default

Fill out the username and password if you have set one in MediaMaster Server

Select "OK"

Find the entry you just made on the "Browse for new share" list. It will start with "dav://"

Select it. You might see subfolders at this point, but you won't see your files. This is normal. At this point select "OK"

Change the name for this new network share if you wish and then select "OK" again.

If you want to scrape for meta data you can do it at this point.

done.
Ned Scott Wrote:From the main menu:

Video
select "Library" submenu

Select "Files"

Select "Add Videos"

Select "Browse"

scroll down and select "Add network location"

Change "Protocol" to "WebDAV server (HTTP)"

Server name will be the IP address computer hosting the files

Shared folder can be left blank

done.

I seem to get lots of disconnect type errors when doing a scan using this .... it works, but i have to keep saying continue to scan...
nikc Wrote:I seem to get lots of disconnect type errors when doing a scan using this .... it works, but i have to keep saying continue to scan...

Sounds like a scraper issue rather than a network share issue. Update to the July 27th nightly if you haven't already. Even then I believe there are still some lingering scraping issues.
Thanks Ned Scott - I got the share working streaming all great. Appreciate the help.
I too use this solution and it works great, no buffering. BUT since i changed to Webdav, I no longer can use subtitles. Not from file on the computer or when using XBMC subtitles to download. Is there a solution?
so what do you do if you have multiple HDD's with movies and TV on them, i have 9TB on my mac mini xbmc server on 3 3TB hdd's, i've tried symbolic links but that isn't working, they don't show up
--
Have given Media Master Server a go...

Formerly, running latest nighties (27/7/11) atv2 accessing volumes on iMac running leopard via wifi/ethernet airport extreme 2 through smb. Switched to Lion, same setup.

For me Leopard/SMB was pretty good. Without providing logs or specific formats, most of the library including large (20gig) files of supported formats worked pretty well ie. no buffering/stuttering etc.

In Lion, these issues are occurring a lot more frequently, almost like the earlier days of smb/ios for me. Also have multiple volumes which is not supported, scraping seems to work normally.

For me its a fallback solution. I would still update to Lion though to see what it has to offer. Would try out the other sharing options to see if one suits better.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

i did get it to work with symbolic links, but it's scanning now which will take forever
--
I was using this method instead of Playback but I've switched back to Playback after having some really annoying problems getting the files in my folders to show up on XBMC. Also, if the host computer has gone to sleep it doesn't seem to stream anything, either through MMS or Playback. This was never a problem with SMB and Snow Leopard.

And the scraping, oh my god it takes FOREVER. But I know that's not a function of MMS, it's more likely I have a crappy old version of XBMC. How do I find out what version of XBMC I've got? I know it's a nightly from a couple of weeks ago, one of the ones that added NFS options (that I still couldn't get to work, sadly).
Mark the "System" Button on Mainmenu - it has an submenuentry "sysinfo" or something. Versioninfo at the lower right of the screen then ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
owen-b Wrote:I was using this method instead of Playback but I've switched back to Playback after having some really annoying problems getting the files in my folders to show up on XBMC. Also, if the host computer has gone to sleep it doesn't seem to stream anything, either through MMS or Playback. This was never a problem with SMB and Snow Leopard.

And the scraping, oh my god it takes FOREVER. But I know that's not a function of MMS, it's more likely I have a crappy old version of XBMC. How do I find out what version of XBMC I've got? I know it's a nightly from a couple of weeks ago, one of the ones that added NFS options (that I still couldn't get to work, sadly).

Your serving computer should never go to sleep if you want to share files at the drop of a hat. SMB should be the same way, but I guess it's possible a wake packet was being sent or something when an SMB connection was attempted. However, there is an XBMC add-on that can send a manual wake singal, so you don't gave to get up to wake the computer.

Scrapping is slow because of recent changes in how XBMC handles scraping. Before it would freeze up and only scrap a few shows and stop, so it is working better, just reeeeealy slow.

Once the scrapping bugs are worked out things will be pretty nice. The new changes mean tons of possible new scraper sources (if I understood the git log comments correctly).

What kind of issues were you having when you say files and folders weren't showing up witH MMS/webDAV?
owen-b Wrote:And the scraping, oh my god it takes FOREVER. But I know that's not a function of MMS, it's more likely I have a crappy old version of XBMC. How do I find out what version of XBMC I've got? I know it's a nightly from a couple of weeks ago, one of the ones that added NFS options (that I still couldn't get to work, sadly).

the ATV2 is just really really slow at scraping. even though i have all images and nfos it just takes forever, like 3 or 4 years Rofl to scan my 6TB
--
Dear Ned,

Help please. I'm stuck. I've followed your detailed guide, but ... I'm doing something wrong most probably. What root directory should be set up in MediaMaster Server? When setting new source in XBMC I left 'shared folder' empty. Server IP address set up properly. But when I've started to browse this new source I saw just empty page with possibility to go back. Please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong ...

Thanks in advance.

Regards from Czech Republic.
... one more question. How to remove some video sources from the list, which are not correct or not working?

Thx in advance.
farlejos Wrote:Dear Ned,

Help please. I'm stuck. I've followed your detailed guide, but ... I'm doing something wrong most probably. What root directory should be set up in MediaMaster Server? When setting new source in XBMC I left 'shared folder' empty. Server IP address set up properly. But when I've started to browse this new source I saw just empty page with possibility to go back. Please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong ...

Thanks in advance.

Regards from Czech Republic.

The root directory would be the folder/drive that contains all your media. Most people have two folders, one for TV Shows and one for Movies. Then have those two folders live in another folder, call it "Media" or whatever. Then use "Media" as the root directory in MediaMaster Server.

farlejos Wrote:... one more question. How to remove some video sources from the list, which are not correct or not working?

Short menu press when the source is selected to bring up the contextual menu. A remote option should be there.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WebDAV sharing for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion0