Filesharing solutions from Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
I just got a new iMac with lion. Question for me is, after reading the guides on the various ways to share the files from the mac, is it correct to say if you use a nas drive, you won't have any issues with samba, the other question is if I used my USB drive is that when I would need one of the file sharing solutions??

Paul
Ned Scott Wrote:...

*red snipper dot appears on Ned's head*

Oh god I've said too much

But no, really, the devs are hard at work at some neat stuff, but there's no ETA on it. We can hope, though.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Ned! I really appreciate that!
Romanes eunt domus
Ned Scott Wrote:Any support for SMB 2.0 (which is what 10.7 is using) has to come from the Samba people. XBMC does not make it's own SMB client, but just uses a standard Samba library.

There are... other options.. but they're not out yet. All very hush hush early planning stuff. Keep your eyes out on the forums and maybe sometime in the near future (maybe) something could pop up that makes all of this a non-issue Wink

Been looking around for details on Samba's libsmbclient getting SMB2 support but couldn't really find anything definitive. Presumably it'll at least arrive in Samba 4 but I keep seeing statements saying 3.6.0 has full SMB2 support. Do any of the devs know what Samba version gets SMB2 support for libsmbclient? Also, it'd be useful to know what version XBMC on iOS is currently using.

As for other sharing options, hypothetically speaking of course, if the devs were to look at other methods of file sharing, do you think they'd be discussing anything other than AFP client support?
jd2157 Wrote:Been looking around for details on Samba's libsmbclient getting SMB2 support but couldn't really find anything definitive. Presumably it'll at least arrive in Samba 4 but I keep seeing statements saying 3.6.0 has full SMB2 support. Do any of the devs know what Samba version gets SMB2 support for libsmbclient? Also, it'd be useful to know what version XBMC on iOS is currently using.

As for other sharing options, hypothetically speaking of course, if the devs were to look at other methods of file sharing, do you think they'd be discussing anything other than AFP client support?

Davilla updated to the 3.6.0 library recently (from 3.5.something), but apparently they didn't add SMB 2 to the client library. It's server only. So it looks like we have to wait for Samba 4 for client support.

The only stuff I've heard/paid-attention-to is the AFP client talk.
and here it is: new AFPClient for iOS/OSX
I've tried them and i can't get them to work. I'm running lion. i keep getting on error message every time i try to connect to my mac. I don't know why it's not sharing my files. Can someone please guide me through this process.
Reposted from the Mac XBMC forum.

SOLUTION ->SMB File sharing for Lion 10.7+ the v. easy way !

Problems:

1) AFP file sharing on XBMC Eden Beta2 is patchy, and very very slow to access when selecting media on an AppleTV1

2) Lion SMB sharing on a Mac will no longer work as well when selecting "Windows network (SMB)" or "Zeroconf Browser" to access shared SAMBA files from an Apple TV.

SOLUTION: (Very easy)

An automated (fully reversible) install of the Samba 3 file sharing system on OSX Lion.

Install the SMBUp App.
Available Here:
http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

I also had to reboot my AppleTV as I had bad stuttering issues playing 1080p movies after selecting SMB and Importing my modified Library back into the AppleTV.

Be sure to Thank the Author.
Finally SMB: sharing is back to what is was.

BAD APPLE!! No

Apple had to drop it because of licensing issues. So not the common "bad" ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filesharing solutions from Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)0