Photo slideshow crashes with geotagged pictures
I started a thread before in the Mac OS specific forum, but I'm re-posting this issue because I've seen the same bug appear on my old AppleTV 1st gen running under frontrow, or with a linux install, XBMC-live on a Dell D620 laptop, and now OpenELEC running on a Shuttle XS35GT-V2.

Running a slideshow with geotagged photos seems to crash XBMC. The log file is filled with thousands of lines that look like this:

Code:
INFO:   msg: ExifParse - Nonfatal Error : Illegal number format %d for tag %04x 0 16447

Here is my log file. There were thousands more entries, but the log was too large for pastebin.

I was playing music at the same time, but I don't think that's related and I'm fairly certain it crashes either way. Also, not sure if it's relevant, but the images were tagged with an Eye-Fi GEO-X2 card.

I couldn't find a crash-reporter log on my OpenELEC install. I looked in all the places outlined in the wiki but linux is not my strongest OS. Please let me know if I should look further. The crash is easy to replicate.

Here are the related threads I could find.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86101
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65261

Here is a related link on bug tracker.

I can confirm the same behavior under all of the OS's and versions listed above as well as by either running the slideshow through UPNP or SMB.

Let me know if I can provide any further information.
Please attach some sample pictures to the ticket.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I just posted 3 exciting images of a bucket to the 8427 ticket. I hope you enjoy the composition and emotion they inspire Smile

Also, in testing these images I noticed something interesting in the log. Other users reported only having this problem with folders with a lot of images. I started a slideshow with only a few pictures in a folder and noticed that the parse error showed up the first time through the images, but then stopped once it had read the info for each image. You'll see in this pastebin that the errors stop at the end and the images load normally. So if this is a memory leak issue it makes sense that it would not crash a system on smaller sets of images because it doesn't keep generating the error.

I can add that my appletv tended to crash the quickest out of my three machines, which makes sense because it had the least amount of memory and CPU power.

Thanks vdrfan for the quick response. Let me know if I can provide any further information.
Ha! Awesome geo-tagged bucket pictures Wink I'll try (once again) to reproduce the crash.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Excellent. My wife will be eternally grateful if she can watch slideshows of our son without crashes. Just let me know if I can send you anything else.

Thanks for all your work on this one.
Should be fixed in GIT HEAD (00e3095dd47d6474fa6befcbd85157e27f6f68fa). Please report back.
Outstanding. I'll figure out the whole GIT thing with OpenELEC and report back as soon as I can. I'll do a couple days of testing.
Hey vdrfan,

Is it possible to only download and compile this single libexif library and insert it into my current XBMC install without compiling the whole thing? I am a novice (on a good day) at this and everything else is working so well, it would be great to simply replace the single library you fixed. I found the file you edited here but I'm not sure where to go from there. All I've been able to find are wikis on how to compile the whole XBMC application.

Thanks again.
if xbmc is based on openelec i would ask overthere if it is possible....
Robotica is right, you need to grab a openelec nightly build (if possible).
I just started a thread over at OpenELEC. Thanks for the help and I'll report back if I make any progress.
Rockin'!

Stephan over at OpenELEC made a build for me last night and I've been running it this morning. I had a slideshow going all morning long and the exifparse issues have vanished from the log!

Nice job vdrfan! Thanks again for this one. This little bug has driven me crazy for a long time. Many a friend have pointed and laughed at me when my "sweet HTPC" crashed trying to run a slideshow Smile
babaraccas Wrote:Rockin'!

Stephan over at OpenELEC made a build for me last night and I've been running it this morning. I had a slideshow going all morning long and the exifparse issues have vanished from the log!

Nice job vdrfan! Thanks again for this one. This little bug has driven me crazy for a long time. Many a friend have pointed and laughed at me when my "sweet HTPC" crashed trying to run a slideshow Smile

Glad to hear it's now finally working. This bugger was indeed a long lasting one.
Ive found XBMC slideshow has a memory leak.

after some time, it will freeze.. the machine is still running (and can be ssh'ed to)..

a 'killall -9 xbmc.bin' fixes it (or a reboot)...

anyone else seen this?

btw - a 'free -m' at console showed hardly any memory available..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Photo slideshow crashes with geotagged pictures0