[AppleTV2] x264 encoding options for smooth 720p playback?
Question 
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the optimal encoding options for h264 video in 720p, that will play flawlessly on AppleTV2/XBMC.

So far I've tried with various x264 presets (such as fast, slow, slower), various x264 tunes (such as fastdecode) and various different profiles (such as Base, Main, High3.1, High4.1), but all seem just a slight bit juddery (some more than others of course). I've also tried HandBrake with the AppleTV2 profile, but that doesn't help much either.

It's entirely possible, that I've already tried the optimal settings and the cause for my judder issues should actually be found somewhere else.

What would be a "known good" set of x264 options for encoding 720p material in high quality, that the AppleTV2 will(or at least should) play flawlessly?

Currently I'm running the 20110913 nightly.

Thanks in advance.

/Thomas
I normally use Handbrake.

1. Under picture I set video to 1280x720 resolution. (always have keep aspect ratio checked)
2. Under video filters I set Detelecine to Default and the rest off.
3. Under Video I use H264 (x264) codec, FPS set to Same as source. Check 2-pass encoding and check Turbo first Pass. Quality I set Avg Bitrate to 2200 (you can go higher but it does a damn good job).
4. Under audio I set audio codec to AC3 Passthru...leaves audio untouched but you can also use any of the others if filesize is an issue.
5. The rest you can leave alone. You should have a file that works well with XBMC and ATV2. I get 98% stutter free with this.

I would stick with handbreak. It gives you a better picture and better file size then everything else I've tried. And I have tried alot. There are a few more settings under video filter like decomb and deblock that will give you an even better picture but these settings really slow down the converting process. I don't use them as the picture quality is very acceptable without.

Hope that helps!
I just use the Apple TV 2 preset with Handbrake and everything works and looks great. I'm also wired and not using wireless.
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
Thanks for your input, guys. I was hoping for something like atv2 doesn't like vfr or you cannot use cabac or something. But you are having success with two completely different approaches, which - i think - means that my setup is just borked... I'll dig into that.

Thanks again.

/Thomas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] x264 encoding options for smooth 720p playback?0