T800's unRAID Server
Beer40oz Wrote:My concern is now since my HD are hooked up to a Gigabyte mobo will I be able to use them in the UnRaid sytem? I heard that Gigabyte does something to the HD's right?

It's called HPA.... or is that only if you use a Gigabyte mobo for the Unraid?
Most newer Gigabyte BIOS versions have HPA or Backup BIOS Image to HDD disabled by default. I would not use a Gigabyte MB in unRAID that did not have that feature disabled by default. I have used two Gigabyte MBs in unRAID in the past without any problems. There are instructions for removing the HPA area from your hard drive once it has been created so you can use your HDD in unRAID even if a HPA has been created on it.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:Most newer Gigabyte BIOS versions have HPA or Backup BIOS Image to HDD disabled by default. I would not use a Gigabyte MB in unRAID that did not have that feature disabled by default. I have used two Gigabyte MBs in unRAID in the past without any problems. There are instructions for removing the HPA area from your hard drive once it has been created so you can use your HDD in unRAID even if a HPA has been created on it.

So I am about to re-install windows on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P that I just got. You think it has HPA enabled? or how do I disable it. By the way this is not for the Unraid system it's for my HTPC.
Beer40oz Wrote:So I am about to re-install windows on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P that I just got. You think it has HPA enabled? or how do I disable it. By the way this is not for the Unraid system it's for my HTPC.
I guess I should have been more clear. It doesn't really matter if HPA is on or off for your HTPC. The only issue you'll have is if/when you decide that you want to use your 2TB drive that is currently connected to your HTPC in an unRAID server. If the drive has HPA on it you'll need to remove that before installing the drive into the server and there is already a defined procedure on how to do that. So the bottom line is right now you don't need to do anything but you might have to do a little extra work if you ever want to use a HDD attached to your Gigabyte MB in an unRAID server.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Thank you wsume99 just what I needed to know. UnRAID FTW!
Can I get a hardware list (preferably including NewEgg links) or the system? I'm very interested in using this setup. Are you using a SSD to host unRAID? I noticed a PCI port being used. Is that a COAX connector?
Deviant Khan Wrote:Can I get a hardware list (preferably including NewEgg links) or the system? I'm very interested in using this setup. Are you using a SSD to host unRAID? I noticed a PCI port being used. Is that a COAX connector?

The hardware was based on Eskros first unRAID build, very similar to his recent 16 drive build but with a different case so you might as well follow that:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post887250

The OS runs on a 4GB flash drive so it doesn't use a SATA port.

There is no PCI port being used in these pictures. Probably what you can see is the fan controller attached to the back.
I have two PCI ports being used now though of which I will have to update the pics at some point.
You're doing exactly what I plan on doing. It sounds like the Fractal case instead of the Antec case means the following.

Otherwise it's identical for additional components, right? When looking at the prices it looks like the following.
  • Case is $20 more (the Antec case is actually cheaper now)
  • (1) 4-in-3 bay converter instead of (4) is about $75 less
  • 3.5-in-5.25 bay convert is $7 more
  • 140mm case fans are $26 more
  • 120mm case fan is $14 more

Basically it's going to be about the same or even a little less than the Antec setup. It's a more minimalist approach than the glowing setup, which is preference. Am I missing something?
T800 Wrote:I have two PCI ports being used now though of which I will have to update the pics at some point.

What are you using your PCI ports for?
Deviant Khan Wrote:You're doing exactly what I plan on doing. It sounds like the Fractal case instead of the Antec case means the following.

Otherwise it's identical for additional components, right? When looking at the prices it looks like the following.
  • Case is $20 more (the Antec case is actually cheaper now)
  • (1) 4-in-3 bay converter instead of (4) is about $75 less
  • 3.5-in-5.25 bay convert is $7 more
  • 140mm case fans are $26 more
  • 120mm case fan is $14 more

Basically it's going to be about the same or even a little less than the Antec setup. It's a more minimalist approach than the glowing setup, which is preference. Am I missing something?

What your doing sounds fine to me.

My case is only running stock fans with no additional fans at the moment (with 10 current internal drives). It will depend on where you keep your server on whether you need them or not.
Deviant Khan Wrote:What are you using your PCI ports for?

I have one of these:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/supermicr...oller-card

and one these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/serial-ata-raid-pci-card-36702

It's only PCI not PCIe. It will work fine speed wise for media but preclearing disks takes 3 days per preclear versus 1 day for a PCIe card. I preclear a disk 3 times before using it so I don't fancy waiting 9 days just add a disk. I probably won't end up using it and will replace it with something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/pci-express-dual...rts-221494
Something I forgot to mention. If you want 16 drives using one 4in3 caddy and two 5.25-3.5 bay converters won't work because there are only four 5.25 bays. You would only end up with space for 15 total drives.

Something like this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inter-tec...aluminium-
with the supplied 5.25-3.5 bay converter should give you 16 drives total.

This is what I plan to do. The good thing is you don't have to purchase the caddy until you get past 11 drives.
First off .. thanks for the responses. It's really helping me work through this in my head.

T800 Wrote:I have one of these:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/supermicr...oller-card

and one these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/serial-ata-raid-pci-card-36702

It's only PCI not PCIe. It will work fine speed wise for media but preclearing disks takes 3 days per preclear versus 1 day for a PCIe card. I preclear a disk 3 times before using it so I don't fancy waiting 9 days just add a disk. I probably won't end up using it and will replace it with something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/pci-express-dual...rts-221494

The MOBO picked says it has the following.
  • (6) SATA 3Gb/s
  • (1) PCI Express x1
  • (1) PCI Express 2.0 x16
  • (2) PCI Slots

Based on eskro's 16 HDD setup he was recommending 2 Port PCI-Express x1 Sata-II Card and 8 Port PCI-Express x4 Sata Card. The first would get you from 6 to 8, and then the latter would get you to 16. That would consume the PCIe and PCIe 2.0 slots, right? You would still have 2 free PCI slots. I want to make sure I understand how I'm doing it before I commit to buying anything.

T800 Wrote:Something I forgot to mention. If you want 16 drives using one 4in3 caddy and two 5.25-3.5 bay converters won't work because there are only four 5.25 bays. You would only end up with space for 15 total drives.

Something like this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inter-tec...aluminium-
with the supplied 5.25-3.5 bay converter should give you 16 drives total.

Hmm .. ok it must have been an oversight when I first read the description of the Fractal case:
  • 4 x External 5.25" Drive Bays with one 5.25 > 3.5 inch converter included
  • 1 x External 3.5" Drive Bay (converted from one 5.25" drive bay)
  • 10 x Internal 3.5" Drive Bays compatible with SSDs

I took that to mean that it had 11 slots for HDDs and 4 bays available so it'd be a 4-in-3 and then a single bay convert. My mistake. For the 5-bay swap I heard there were some concerns with heat. Is that not a factor with the WD green drives?
The 5-in-3 also seems like it'd negate the savings advantage. I found SNT-SAC3051TL 5 x 3.5" HDD in 3 x 5.25" Bay SAS/SATA, which bumps up the cost another $50 from the 4-in-3 solution. The other option is (2) SNT SNT-SAC2131TL 3x3.5" Hard drive in 2x5.25" Bay SAS/SATA. However, that makes it even more.

Ultimately, what I'm looking for is an alternative to the "loud" case, and I really liked the clean, simple design of this case. I'd hate to have to pay more for less frills.
It's not my intention to derail your thread. What interests me is how close it is to what I am looking for. Maybe I could get your opinion on an alternative case from someone like-minded?

The LIAN LI PC-A70F USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case has the following stats, and is only $10 more than the Fractal. You could use a 4-in-3, the existing 5.25"-to-3.5" convert, and buy 1 more for $7. So when comparing the extra $50 for the 5-in-3 it'd be about $33 less, which would put it right at the same price as the Antec.
  • (5) External 5.25" Drive Bays
  • (1) External 3.5" Drive Bays (use a 5.25-inch to 3.5-inch converter)
  • (10) Internal 3.5" Drive Bays

You also wouldn't have to buy extra fans, which is more savings if I'm reading it right.
[CASE] ANTEC Twelve Hundred V3 Micro-ATX ($140 + $0)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
T800's unRAID Server0