XBMC Build Advice
So I'm regularly building from trunk and also the AE (gnif's) branch.

Due to the obvious differences I regularly have to distclean when switching between branches, and this substantially increases build times when all the depends have to be built from scratch.

I'm looking for any advice on better ways to manage this. Is there a way to separate depends locations for each branch?

Would I better creating separate user accounts for each branch I build from? Would this even work?

Anyway, just looking for other peoples input on this. I can build it, but I'm just following the instructions of the gifted creators.....

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
There where not much changes to the depends latly. You could just watch the commits for changes in tools/darwin/depends. If something changes there - only rebuilt the lib changed (e.x. make -C tools/darwin/depends/librtmp clean && make -C tools/darwin/depends/librtmp). Might be a need for deleting the lib before (e.x. rm /Users/Shared/xbmc-depends/osx-blubb/lib/librtmp*). And rebootstrap after that (e.x. make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc and so on)

But no garanty that this won't inject issues in some circumstances.

Depends are shared across all accounts.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but figured this would be the best place to ask...

Any tips on building the AE build on Snow Leopard using xcode 3.2.5 and the ios 4.2 SDK

I've been trying to build the depends, but it craps out at building python26 due to the 64 bit architecture.

Code:
gcc-4.2  -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
                       Modules/python.o \
                       libpython2.6.a -ldl  -framework CoreFoundation
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_Py_Main", referenced from:
     _main in python.o
"_PyMac_Error", referenced from:
    -u command line option
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [python.exe] Error 1
make: *** [Python-2.6.5/libpython2.6.dylib] Error 2

Do I need to download the mac os x 10.5 SDK? I've tried modifying the python makefiles to specify -arch_only i386 as well as -m 32, which just generates a whole new lot of issues.

I had to rejailbreak my atv and lost the AE branch (which I found to be faster and more stable), so just trying to get a one off build... If it's hosted anywhere I'd be happy to take that route instead of re-compiling it. Being a java developer, I'm friggin useless with debugging make's.
Cranial Wrote:So I'm regularly building from trunk and also the AE (gnif's) branch.

Due to the obvious differences I regularly have to distclean when switching between branches, and this substantially increases build times when all the depends have to be built from scratch.

I'm looking for any advice on better ways to manage this. Is there a way to separate depends locations for each branch?

Would I better creating separate user accounts for each branch I build from? Would this even work?

Anyway, just looking for other peoples input on this. I can build it, but I'm just following the instructions of the gifted creators.....

use two dirs, one for trunk, one for ae. simple solution.
ProphetVX Wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but figured this would be the best place to ask...

Any tips on building the AE build on Snow Leopard using xcode 3.2.5 and the ios 4.2 SDK

I've been trying to build the depends, but it craps out at building python26 due to the 64 bit architecture.

Code:
gcc-4.2  -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
                       Modules/python.o \
                       libpython2.6.a -ldl  -framework CoreFoundation
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_Py_Main", referenced from:
     _main in python.o
"_PyMac_Error", referenced from:
    -u command line option
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [python.exe] Error 1
make: *** [Python-2.6.5/libpython2.6.dylib] Error 2

Do I need to download the mac os x 10.5 SDK? I've tried modifying the python makefiles to specify -arch_only i386 as well as -m 32, which just generates a whole new lot of issues.

I had to rejailbreak my atv and lost the AE branch (which I found to be faster and more stable), so just trying to get a one off build... If it's hosted anywhere I'd be happy to take that route instead of re-compiling it. Being a java developer, I'm friggin useless with debugging make's.

re-read README.ios and follow it to the letter.
Memphiz Wrote:There where not much changes to the depends latly. You could just watch the commits for changes in tools/darwin/depends. If something changes there - only rebuilt the lib changed (e.x. make -C tools/darwin/depends/librtmp clean && make -C tools/darwin/depends/librtmp). Might be a need for deleting the lib before (e.x. rm /Users/Shared/xbmc-depends/osx-blubb/lib/librtmp*). And rebootstrap after that (e.x. make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc and so on)

But no garanty that this won't inject issues in some circumstances.

Depends are shared across all accounts.

Thanks Memphiz. I'm starting to think the build errors were just that, build errors due to codebase change and me building before the makefile is updated etc....

I did introduce myself a world of pain by building while behind a work proxy and trying to fix errors before I realised my mistake Blush

davilla Wrote:use two dirs, one for trunk, one for ae. simple solution.

Two source directories? I'm doing that currently. But the README for each is the same so they both build/run from the same depends directory?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Build Advice0