Got an ATV2, question re: remote scrolling, plug-ins?
I've done searches and there's not really anything that gets into this side of things. Last night I picked up an ATV2, jailbroke it and now have Seas0npass, NitoTV, and XBMC installed, and hooked up to a Harmony 650 remote for the ATV.

So now what? What can I do to get the most out of this? I've connected to the NAS with all our movies and scraped the images, etc. Are there any must-have plugin's a noobie should get?

Also, is there any way to set up scrolling to be continuous from the remote? More like the PS3 scrolling, where you hold down and it goes down, pauses, then continuously scrolls through the rest till you let go of the button? Having to push down over does take away from the overall experience I've noticed.

Finally, how do I turn off subtitles?

Edit: Sorry, I just now found the comment about scrolling in the FAQ. My bad! Other question still stands though...
I would say IceFilms is a pretty killer Add-On for both TV and movies. I use it for catching up on TV shows I've missed and for movies I'm somewhat interested in watching but know I'm not interested in downloading/keeping for repeat viewing. It's a great Netflix alternative in both regards. You'll need to install Anarchintosh's Repo to get this plugin.

Since you're in Canada, I don't think Hulu will be an option. Same probably goes for FreeCable, but depends on the regions allowed by each network (since streams are coming directly from the network's website). Both of these are in BlueCop's Repo. Both also require you to update the librtmp.0.dylib file on your ATV2 through SFTP, but it's not very difficult at all.

Otherwise, poke around the different Repos and try the Add-ons that look interesting to you. If it doesn't work out of the box, check back here for setup help (some add-ons require editing XML files, etc).

One thing I've noticed is the ATV2 seems to be a bit disappointing for many XBMC users, not because of a technical or usability deficiency, but because it's dead simple to setup and doesn't require hours or days of tweaking. It just works (most of the time) and that's contrary to the nature of many users here who expect and/or enjoy a monumental effort to get a new system up and running. If you fall into this category... learn Python Smile
IsleOfMan Wrote:I would say IceFilms is a pretty killer Add-On for both TV and movies. I use it for catching up on TV shows I've missed and for movies I'm somewhat interested in watching but know I'm not interested in downloading/keeping for repeat viewing. It's a great Netflix alternative in both regards. You'll need to install Anarchintosh's Repo to get this plugin.

Since you're in Canada, I don't think Hulu will be an option. Same probably goes for FreeCable, but depends on the regions allowed by each network (since streams are coming directly from the network's website). Both of these are in BlueCop's Repo. Both also require you to update the librtmp.0.dylib file on your ATV2 through SFTP, but it's not very difficult at all.

Otherwise, poke around the different Repos and try the Add-ons that look interesting to you. If it doesn't work out of the box, check back here for setup help (some add-ons require editing XML files, etc).

One thing I've noticed is the ATV2 seems to be a bit disappointing for many XBMC users, not because of a technical or usability deficiency, but because it's dead simple to setup and doesn't require hours or days of tweaking. It just works (most of the time) and that's contrary to the nature of many users here who expect and/or enjoy a monumental effort to get a new system up and running. If you fall into this category... learn Python Smile

I hear ya on the last point... I don't know anything about linux, ssh, programming, networking, or building computers, but I was pretty jacked to spend a week or two screwing around getting this to work. But for the price an ATV2 was just too cheap to pass up, at least as an introduction to XBMC. Once I graduate next spring I'll be building a full on custom, ubuntu and all! The ATV really was over before I even got started, figuratively speaking. Hence me looking for plug-ins Big Grin
I went the other direction... I started out with a full-blown HTPC in my main Theater about two years ago. I spent a few evenings setting everything up, mainly tweaking the interface and optimizing my network layout, but it all came together pretty easily. After the initial setup, things churned along mostly unchanged for nearly 2 years (was still running 9.11 up until about 2 weeks ago).

Then, after reading an Engadget article about XBMC on the ATV2, I decided to add them as clients for secondary screens (Master Bedroom, Kids' Room, etc). I had a Revo AR3610 in the Master Bedroom, so I sold that and made enough to buy two ATV2s and a new router with built-in USB NAS. This re-sparked my interest in XBMC and has lead to far more learning and tweaking than I ever did with my old basic setup.

The main thing I found when setting up multiple clients was the need for a unified UI. The ATV2's horizontal Confluence was different than the vertical Confluence on the HTPC in the theater (9.11) and the P4 I had recently cobbled together for use in the Living Room (10.1). This lead me to updating both HTPCs to nightly builds so the UI would be uniform on all screens.

The next consideration for multiple clients is synchronization. The first step has been moving away from letting each XBMC client do its own scraping and instead using a central scraper (Ember in my case) that generates NFOs, Coverart, Fanart, metadata, etc and stores it in the same folder as the media itself. This required an update to my folder structure since, up until this point, I had simply piled individual movie files into a "Movies" folder. Luckily Ember was able to automate the process. Now that scraping is done centrally and NFOs/Artwork are stored with the media, each client pulls them directly and everything remains in sync.

The next step will be setting up a MySQL server to allow synchronization of WATCHED tags and RESUME function. Being able to pause in the Theater or Living Room and pick back up instantly from the same location in the Master Bedroom will be a boon. It shouldn't be too difficult to setup, I just need to find an evening or weekend afternoon that I'm not already committed to another project AND my wife is out of the house (i.e. not bugging me to do something for her every 15 minutes or bitching when I need to temporarily commandeer her TV for setup/testing).

Lastly, managing add-ons has become the most manual process of multi-client administration. To date I've been manually installing the necessary REPOs on each client and then manually installing the add-ons themselves, changing settings when required, and organizing home screen shortcuts for consistency across each client. In the future I may look into administering add-ons by installing on one machine then copying the installed add-ons folder out to the other machines.

Once the MySQL server is up and running, I'm predicting that occasionally watching for new add-ons will become the extent of my XBMC tweaking. At that point I'll have achieved my main functionality goals and won't have much reason to spend time continually tweaking/upgrading/etc. Maybe then I'll learn Python Smile

As for the HTPC that I started out with in the Theater (an Acer Aspire AX1301-9052), my plan all along was to toss in a Blu-Ray drive and setup TMT5 as an external player for BD discs. That said, over the past 2 years I've watched a grand total of 5 Blu-Ray discs and I already have a decent stand-alone BD player, so that project has continually slipped lower and lower down my priority list. It's so low now that, at this point, I'm even considering replacing it with ATV2 as well... or maybe ATV3 if it's A5 powered. I would not have a problem with every XBMC client in the house eventually being an ATV device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got an ATV2, question re: remote scrolling, plug-ins?0