can't play music even with advancedsettings fix
Running the latest official (non-nightly) build on my ATV2. I copied over my music .db from my Mac version of XBMC, I can see everything fine on my ATV2, but when I try to play any song I get "playback failed". I put an advancedsettings.xml file in the proper location as per the FAQ, but I still get the same error after restarting XBMC.

Any other ideas how I can fix this?
we need the log (see first link in my sig for learning how to get it).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
hi, thanks--sorry about that, I thought it was something known to everyone but me Smile

Here's the log--
http://pastebin.com/hPCdMj9g
your advancedsettings.xml does not have the audio fix from the faq ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
This is what is in my ATV2, in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.html</add>
  </videoextensions>
<video>
  <playcountminimumpercent>101</playcountminimumpercent>
</video>
<audio>

<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>

</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Is that not correct?
That would be correct indeed - but in your log i see that the defaultplayer setting is missing in your advancedsettings.xml and it still uses paplayer for mp3 ... you can have a look into your log yourself - it prints the content of the loaded advancedsettings.xml somewhere at the beginning...
Memphiz Wrote:That would be correct indeed - but in your log i see that the defaultplayer setting is missing in your advancedsettings.xml and it still uses paplayer for mp3 ... you can have a look into your log yourself - it prints the content of the loaded advancedsettings.xml somewhere at the beginning...

Hmmm. Well, that would seem to imply that the advancedsettings.xml file isn't getting loaded, or the old advancedsettings.xml file before I updated it is continuing to be loaded. Is there any particular special way to "force" a reload or refresh of that file, other than exiting XBMC and going back in?
I just tried again, and it failed again--check the pastebin, it looks to me like the proper advancedsettings.xml is being loaded properly?

http://pastebin.com/SzJk9MK8
No Restart is ok. But you should double check that /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml is the file you think it is. Just login to your appletv with ssh and do

Code:
cat /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

and see if the audio stuff is really in there ...
ok ... forget my last post ... this time the correct advancedsettings.xml is loaded.

Are you sure you have correct read permissions on the file you try to play?
Memphiz Wrote:ok ... forget my last post ... this time the correct advancedsettings.xml is loaded.

Are you sure you have correct read permissions on the file you try to play?

Pretty sure...the files are shared from my NAS, and the files are all in my iTunes library. I've tried several, none work. The file path on the NAS is /volume3/music/iTunes Media/Music/[artist_folder]/[song_name.mp3]...I'll ssh in and see what the permissions are. I don't have any issues playing the songs in iTunes nor if I simply go to them from my Mac laptop and play from Finder, though.

Is there a particular owner/group that needs to be set on the mp3 files so that XBMC will play them properly?
Permissions on the iTunes Media folder:

Code:
drwxrwxrwx    9 admin    users         4096 Aug  5 00:36 iTunes Media

Permissions on the iTunes Media/Music folder:

Code:
drwxrwxrwx  680 root     root         32768 Aug  3 22:44 Music

Permissions on the iTunes Media/Music/Billie Holiday folder:

Code:
drwxrwxrwx    4 admin    users         4096 Nov 24  2010 Billie Holiday

Permissions on the iTunes Media/Music/Billie Holiday/Stay With Me folder:

Code:
drwxrwxrwx    3 admin    users         4096 Nov 24  2010 Stay With Me

Permissions on the first file in that folder:

Code:
-rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users     13990949 Nov 24  2010 01 I Wished On The Moon.m4a

It's the same, btw, for the files that are in mp3 rather than m4a format--same permissions, same playback error.
Okay, so with Memphiz's kind help, we figured out the issue, which of course was an ID 10 T error on the user's part Wink For those newbies who are as stupid as I am, here was the issue:

We found that my mp3 files were playing back fine in File mode, but not in Library mode. Why? Because the ATV2 "official" build that I'd installed is not the same "stable" build as XBMC for Mac, which I'd been running on my laptop, and guess what--you can't just copy the databases from one to another. The ATV2 official build is based on the nightly OSX build, not the stable OSX build.

So, the solution:

1) Export the existing OSX XBMC libraries as a backup.
2) Upgrade my OSX XBMC version from the "stable" build to the nightly build, and hope the databases are upgraded automatically.
3) If the database upgrade fails, then import the backed up libraries from step 1.
4) Upgrade my ATV2 XBMC to the latest nightly build.
5) Copy the databases over from my OSX nightly installation to my ATV2 nightly installation.

Hope this helps anyone as clueless as I was!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can't play music even with advancedsettings fix0