Wireless N Router and Access Point
In the very near future I plan to build an HTPC, but before I do this I need to purchase a new router for my new apartment. Because it isn't wired, and I don't feel like running cat5e/cat6, I need to set up a wireless network to stream content to my HTPC. So, the question I pose to you guys today:

1) What is the best/fastest Wireless N router for around $100? If I understand correctly, it needs to be dual band so that I can use my older B/G devices as well without knocking out the high speed N devices. I'd also like it if it could run DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Gargoyle and/or Tomato.

2) What is the best/fastest Wireless N adapter/access point for the HTPC I'll be building very soon? Ideally, I would like the ability to stream 1080p content from my main PC to my HTPC which I plan to not keep any actual content on. As such, I would assume that the router and the adapter/access point would need to be at least 300mbps. (Do they even go any higher? I've seen some 450mbps claims, but who knows.)

The HTPC will be situated about 20 feet through one wall from where the router will be sitting in my apartment.

If possible, keep in mind that I'll also need to connect an (old style, no wireless) Xbox 360 and a PS3 to my network as well, so if there are options for those I'd like to hear them.

Thanks a lot guys!
All i can say is 1080P via WiFi is not recommended,,,

You can always get a Dual-Band Router (Linksys E2000 or Linksys E3000)
+
get a Dual-Band WiFi Adapter (Linksys WMP600N)

then use the 5Ghz wifi band to play 1080P stuff and pray for it to be stutter free...
Hmm, unfortunate about the 1080p. Well, then, let's say playing 720p content stutter free and maybe hopefully playing 1080p content if I get lucky? Smile

Thanks!
720P should play fine....
1080p can playback just fine on a good N router, or it can be a bust, depending on your enviroment (house walls, WiFi networks from neighbors, other interference like microwaves etc.). The E3000 is a fine router. Take a look at smallnetbuilder.com and see which router has the best performance for your budget.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless N Router and Access Point0