Plug n Play ambient light?
I built one myself using an Olimex lpc-h2148 microcontroller development board (~40€Wink, connected over usb. The only soldering you have to do are some transistors to drive the leds (using 12V led strips). it isn't very difficult if you don't mind that the controller box becomes a little bigger and if you have a bit experience with soldering.
Still you will need something to flash the microcontroller, which costs about 20-100€.
I am using the philips ambx lighting system but the technology has now been licensed out to madcatz http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/ambx.htm. I think you can still pick up he philips kit kinda cheap if you look.

The system works pretty well and for me and I would say it definitely improves the viewing experience (works on games too). I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick but I always miss the 'ambience' of it when watching films at friends houses now.
I too have the Phillips ambx system. It took me a while to find one since Phillips stopped producing them.
I'm using it with a 42" TV and it looks absolutely incredible. Recently however the wallwasher (the main component in the middle) started to show the wrong colors and started flickering and now I have to replace the LEDs which is very expensive and complicated to do. Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem...

Also the Installation on Windows 7 is kinda complicated since there are no official drivers available.

I can recommend this system only if you know what you're doing
+1 for the philips ambx system. I found one for £25 on a second hand website. Found them pretty hard to come by as I think they have been discontinued. Worth keeping an eye for as they really are very good. They are a whiz to set up in Windows 7 and I understand they work well under Linux but I have never tried. Personally I put the side lights behind the TV too as they are quite distracting at the sides when watching films.
I think windows 7 setup is sorted out now for ambx as you can use the madcatz installer which has proper support. The sidelights are a bit of a distraction and mine have also ended up behind the TV.

My only problem with it is that xbmc doesn't show up as a media player in the software and you have to run it using a gaming profile. But I don't know if this makes much difference to the experience.
Friends,

I need your kind help.
i have just procured the Mad Catz Cyborg amBX Gaming Lights (http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/ambx.htm) and have followed your instructions for Openelec on:

http://openelec.tv/forum/44-cool-things ... me-theater

I have installed the boblightd package from the openelec repository from under All Addons -> Services
I have renamed boblight.conf.sample to boblight.conf and also Renamed boblight.X11.sample to boblight.X11

The lights dont come on. I havent edited the boblight.conf file since I do not know how to set this up,. Both my lights are connected to USB and I would like to have ambient lighting on all the time.

Please can you guide me to configure the Lights using openelec.

Many thanks .

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shiva

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plug n Play ambient light?0