Synology VPN Center in combination with XBMC
Question 
Hi everybody

i wonder if its possible to stream video files from my home to anyone else's home.
lets say i got a lot of movies on my NAS (Synology) and i would like to watch sometimes some of them with my friends at another place then my home.
so instead of downloading a videofile from my NAS to his PC/Mediacenter it would be nice to stream that video direct to that PC.

we usualy use xbmc as a OS but if its easier to set that up with xbmc running on a win7 machine then thats also no big deal Smile

Synology NAS has some new features...
one of them is Synology VPN Server.
http://www.synology.com/dsm/vpn.php?lang=enu

would be very nice if that NAS could be visible in my friends network (SMB maybe?). so that we can easily stream videos from my Video folder to his home.

sure i know my upload speed has to be enough fast.
at the moment i got 7Mbps. enough for Xvid/DivX or low videobitrate 720p files (anime).

any comment or explanation is welcome Big Grin

thx in advance
Shouldn't you be able to do this with the built in WebDAV. XBMC supports WebDAV as a media source under add network locations.
Starstream Wrote:Shouldn't you be able to do this with the built in WebDAV. XBMC supports WebDAV as a media source under add network locations.

Or FTP, or you could probably use HTTP with a bit of effort.

You can use a VPN, but this isn't supported from within XBMC. You will have to make the VPN first then run XBMC.

All of the above will requite the appropriate port forwarding to be configured in your router. If your broadband line doesn't have a static IP address you'll need to use a dyndns name.

JR
thx a lot guys!

WebDAV is already active and port forwarding is also done.
to be honest i wasn't really sure for what exactly i could use WebDAV.

so if i understood that right...

i go to my friends house boot up his mediacenter.
add network locations? WebDAV? then add all the information i need (URL, Username, Password).

and then we could watch (stream) the movie files that i have stored in my NAS?
that would be awesome!

FTP? i thought FTP supports only File Transfer not streaming?
guess i was wrong Smile

i'm already using dydns thx
I have wondered this same question. Let us know how it works.
JiSiN Wrote:FTP? i thought FTP supports only File Transfer not streaming?

It depends on how you define streaming. XBMC will play files from an FTP server by starting an FTP download and playing the file as it is transferred over FTP. So it is in effect streaming, even though FTP is not strictly speaking a streaming protocol.

However webdav is probably better than FTP if you can get it working.

JR
thx jhsrennie for your response ^^

gonna try both then.
Gonna let you guys know if it worked for me or not.

JiSiN
Star 
Awesome!

WebDAV really worked!
it got very late but i wanted to try that function.

divx / xvid or mkv (x264) worked very well on 480p 576p.
on 720p with 3.5-5Mbit/s videobitrate still worked but sometimes had to buffer again. but thats due to my limited upload of 7Mbps Smile

so thx again!

xbmc rock da house!
Thanks, it's good to know WebDav works well. We get quite a few questions about how to get at media when away from home, and if WebDav works well that seems a good solution.

JR
Yep WebDAV is a pretty neat function

i just hope that my provider will rise the upload speed until next year from 7mbit to 10mbit.
that might be enough then to stream 720p videos smoothly without re-buffering.

again thx a lot guys! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology VPN Center in combination with XBMC0