SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint!
Star 
Hey all,

For those that may have missed it, I have released an updated SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, & Configuration guide for SABnzbd+ on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Below is an excerpt from the first page for any that are interested. The full, fully formatted guide can be found here.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or problems along the way.

Cheers!

Introduction

Welcome! It's time once more for an update to my SABnzbd+ guide.

This update marks a major revision and as such I have decided to recreate it at a new address. As I had originally done, this guide will now be based around both Linux Mint and Ubuntu (instead of just Ubuntu). A fresh install of the most recent version of Ubuntu will be used for the basis of this guide, along with all available updates.

The main difference for Linux Mint users will be in navigating through the menus and finding the applications we will be using below. Ubuntu uses Unity whereas Linux Mint uses the mintMenu and Gnome. However, both interfaces provide the ability to search from the main menu and it should be very easy to translate the instructions from one to the other (or to another desktop environment if you prefer). If you get stuck, please feel free to contact me directly or leave a comment below and I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction.

I have broken out much of my repetitive introductory information into a Guide Guide which can be found on Ainer.org's About page. I recommend you take a moment to review that now. These guides are written in a very specific manner and this is well explained there.

Anyway, with that aside lets move on to the topic at hand! SABnzbd+ is, simply put, a Usenet client. It allows access to Usenet in the same way as a Web Browser allows access to the World Wide Web, or as an Email client (be it Web based, or installed directly onto your computer) allows access to your Email servers.

Usenet is an old, old network that actually pre-dates the Web and allows for exchanging information over the Internet. Usenet however, uses a much less centralized method compared to the Web as most of the content on Usenet is distributive across many, many different servers whereas any one website will likely only be hosted by a single server (or a single cluster of servers). Any content that's hosted on Usenet will propogate across all the servers that choose to provide access to it and can be accessed via the server of your choice (I suggest Supernews or Giganews).

SABnzbd+ itself is focused on accessing binary content on Usenet (versus non-binary content such as text based messages) courtesy of NZB files. SABnzbd+ is a highly robust and mature program and works wonderfully as the basis for an automated setup featuring Sick Beard, Couch Potato, Headphones, and XBMC Media Center.

If you're wondering how to read "SABnzbd+" as you're going along, "SAB-nzb-daemon-plus" is probably pretty close to accurate. I personally use "SAB" as it's a bit easier to spit out repeatedly.

And with that, be sure to hit up the Guide Guide if you haven't already, and lets get ready to install SABnzbd+ (next page)!
Thanks. I followed your guides the other day, worked good.

Have you given any thought to make it more command-line driven? A lot of us are running Linux as head less servers and use a diff machine for the HTPC.
Great blog daemox! Very thorough.

I have an installscript for installing sab on headless servers. Not thoroughly tested yet (only by me and it worked on a 10.10 minimal server.)

It downloads the latest version from the jcfp-ppa (launchpad), configures all necessary files (daemons and stuff), can import an old configurationfile and allows to set a port and username/password before starting.

Download here, and use daemox's guide for configuration after install:
Code:
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18712538/Sabnzbdplus/sabnzbdplusinstall.sh
sudo chmod +x sabnzbdplusinstall.sh
./sabnzbdplusintall.sh
Question 
Hey Mar2zz & coupas,

I'm glad you both liked the guide!

coupas, I have thought about doing terminal/cli based guides in the past, but it's just not something I'll probably end up doing. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions if you get stuck trying to do such an install, but a full guide based around that type setup is not something I'm really interested in, nor something I recommend (especially when Mar2zz's got his scripts handy Wink).

Thanks again for the feedback guys, take care!
Star 
I just completed another update for my SABnzbd+ guide!

Updates to my other guides should follow as I'm able.

http://www.ainer.org/sabnzbd-install-set...linux-mint

Welcome! This update should be fairly straight-forward as SABnzbd+ and its package on Ubuntu and Linux Mint are quite mature at this point. This guide will be written using Ubuntu’s now-stardard Unity shell interface for the GNOME desktop environment. This guide should also be almost one-hundred percent the same if you’re using Unity 2D instead. However, if you’re using Linux Mint’s latest and greatest release (or any other Ubuntu derivatives), you may need to adapt the guide a little bit in terms of how you navigate to any applications we use, and also you will need to replace the Ubuntu Software Center with Linux Mint’s Software Manager, or Synaptic, or whatever you prefer.

One more bit of house-keeping before we get into the good stuff. I have broken out much of my repetitive introductory information into a MetaGuide. If you’ve never read the MetaGuide, I strongly encourage you to take a few minutes now and give it a quick scan (if nothing else). Our guides at Ainer.org are fairly peculiar, and we’ve put down the details so you can get the most out of this content that we’ve provided. If you’ve already read it, awesome! You know what to expect below!

Anyway, with that aside lets move on to the topic at hand! SABnzbd+ is, simply put, a Usenet client. It allows access to Usenet in the same way that a Web Browser, such as Firefox, allows access to the World Wide Web, or as an email client (be it Web based, like Gmail, or installed directly onto your computer, like Thunderbird) allows access to your email servers.

Usenet is an old, old network that actually pre-dates the Web. However, like the Web it allows for the exchange of information over the Internet. Usenet however, uses a much less centralized method compared to the Web, as most of the content on Usenet is distributed across many, many different servers whereas any one website will likely only be hosted by a single server (or a single cluster of servers). As such, any content that’s hosted on Usenet can be accessed directly from your Usenet service provider of choice (Ainer.org recommends Supernews as the bang for your buck option, but Giganews is great too if you got a hole burning in your pocket or if you want complimentary access to bolt-on services like VyprVPN).

SABnzbd+ itself is focused on accessing binary content on Usenet (versus non-binary content, such as text based messages) courtesy of bookmark-like NZB files. SABnzbd+ is a highly robust and mature program and works wonderfully as the central hub for an incredibly automated and streamlined multi-media and home theater personal computer (HTPC) setup featuring Sick Beard, Couch Potato, Headphones or Spotify, and XBMC Media Center.

If you’re wondering how to read “SABnzbd+” as you’re going along, “SAB-nzb-daemon-plus” is probably pretty close to accurate. I personally use “SAB” or “SAB-newzbin” as an old habit as they’re a bit easier to spit out.

And with that, be sure to hit up the MetaGuide if you haven’t already, and lets get ready to install SABnzbd+!

(2011-11-22, 01:26)daemox Wrote: I just completed another update for my SABnzbd+ guide!

Updates to my other guides should follow as I'm able.

Welcome! This update should be fairly straight-forward as SABnzbd+ and its package on Ubuntu and Linux Mint are quite mature at this point. This guide will be written using Ubuntu’s now-stardard Unity shell interface for the GNOME desktop environment. This guide should also be almost one-hundred percent the same if you’re using Unity 2D instead. However, if you’re using Linux Mint’s latest and greatest release (or any other Ubuntu derivatives), you may need to adapt the guide a little bit in terms of how you navigate to any applications we use, and also you will need to replace the Ubuntu Software Center with Linux Mint’s Software Manager, or Synaptic, or whatever you prefer.

It seems that there is a DNS problem already for a period or the website is no longer online.
Is there maybe still a possibility to receive this guideHuh

I've read this guide and found it great. But at that moment I didn't have good hardware to do (was planning to buy a new motherboard) ... Now I finally have installed it and would like to install it using your guide, your guide is no longer available.

Thanks on beforehand
It's not quite like having the link up and running, but at least the wayback machine at web.archive.org has a copy:

http://web.archive.org/web/2013011610081...linux-mint

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint!0