• 2(current)
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues
I am running the following:

iOS: 4.3 (8F305)
aTV: 4.2.2 (2203)
XBMC: Git:20110808-6b994c5
Media: SMB over 802.11n

I have had music playing for 4 hours without a single hiccup, my library is scraping perfectly and can watch DivX without any problems. Going to try streaming a 720p MKV today and will see how it goes but I was able to start it within seconds and run for 5 minutes without stuttering. Don't have any 1080p content to try sorry.

The official build was causing me tons of trouble with scraping and was crashing fairly often, this version feels stable so far.
keith Wrote:We're quite a ways from AudioEngine integration. Do you have a reciever decoding DTS/AC3 at all? If not, then they should be off. I do though so I need to leave them on.

It shouldn't of affected smb/nfs tho..

Keith, I have the last released AE build before it was pulled, I believe 10.0-9 June 26. Didn't have any issues with overall performance and the AE worked perfectly, the sound was crystal clear on my McIntosh system. As the developer(s) pulled it, is it worth rolling back from the nighties to the AE build? (basically, in your humble opinion, what are the important differences from the 10.0.19 June 26th AE build and the current (I believe 8-8-11?) build?

Thanks man and enjoying the work you guys sweat out, much appreciated. If only Apple would release an aTV with more RAM, and a better A5 processor for 1080P playback. I can get an HD mkv 12 GB Blu-Ray rip to play on the aTV 2 from a Synology DS211 NAS with DTS-HD sound (compared it to playing right off the Blu-Ray disc, little/no diff), connected through ethernet but crashes after 10 min's (checked log, obviously lack of memory issue with the aTV 2). Growing tired of the aTV 2's limitations, pondering a better system (don't need a full HTPC, but something similar to the aTV 2 with better hardware). Any recommendations?

Setup:
Synology DS211 w/ 2x 2TB HDD's
iOS 4.3
OS X Lion 10.7.2 w/ Synology DSM 3.2 beta for Lion compatibility
2011 Airport Extrreme router, NAS and aTV 2 connected on router ethernet ports .2 and .4 and static IP's
aTV 2 - used Seas0nPass and running current XBMC iOS unofficial nightly Git:20110808
Synology and aTV 2 connect via ethernet/SMB through Airport Extreme w/ necessary port mappings
6corewhore Wrote:I can get an HD mkv 12 GB Blu-Ray rip to play on the aTV 2 from a Synology DS211 NAS with DTS-HD sound (compared it to playing right off the Blu-Ray disc, little/no diff), connected through ethernet but crashes after 10 min's (checked log, obviously lack of memory issue with the aTV 2). Growing tired of the aTV 2's limitations, pondering a better system (don't need a full HTPC, but something similar to the aTV 2 with better hardware). Any recommendations?

I can't say I have ever had my atv2 crash due to RAM issues. I watched the entire back to the future trilogy back-to-back, which were between 10G and 14G each and it was flawless. Been using it since Feb and ditched my heavy loud HTPC for it. I couldn't recommend the atv2 for use as and XBMC box enough! Maybe it's your NAS or network that is the issue. Or perhaps its the AE build - it was pulled for a reason. I am running the following FYI.

atv2 ios:4.2.1 (4.1.1?)
xbmc pre-11.0 git:20110808-6b994c5
NAS - wired 100mbit FREENAS, SMB
banzai75x Wrote:If you set those to OFF, does that mean you are only getting 2-ch stereo output to your speakers?

I tried what you suggested, and it does help with buffering but then on my receiver, it only states I am receiving a 2CH signal from the source. Movies that were stuttering before are playing fine now with those OFF.

iOS: 4.3 (8F305)
aTV: 4.2.2 (2203)
XBMC: Git:20110808-6b994c5
Media: NFS over 802.11g
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-245

When I disable AC3 and DTS my receiver outputs Dolby Prologic II.
Does this break current skins? I can only get confluence to work correctly. I am new to this but I have been searching for answers.

Thanks for the new build!
noob question surely.. but how do you get rid of the stats on the top left of the screen??
noxy Wrote:noob question surely.. but how do you get rid of the stats on the top left of the screen??

system/system/debugging/enable_debug_logging

(not sure if this is the right place for these questions)
Tyzing Wrote:Does this break current skins? I can only get confluence to work correctly. I am new to this but I have been searching for answers.

Thanks for the new build!

Read the first post on this thread, specifically..

CAVEATS TO THIS BUILD:

Regards,
rickrude Wrote:I can't say I have ever had my atv2 crash due to RAM issues. I watched the entire back to the future trilogy back-to-back, which were between 10G and 14G each and it was flawless. Been using it since Feb and ditched my heavy loud HTPC for it. I couldn't recommend the atv2 for use as and XBMC box enough! Maybe it's your NAS or network that is the issue. Or perhaps its the AE build - it was pulled for a reason. I am running the following FYI.

atv2 ios:4.2.1 (4.1.1?)
xbmc pre-11.0 git:20110808-6b994c5
NAS - wired 100mbit FREENAS, SMB

Odd as most people cannot play mkv .264 HD files over a certain size without either buffering issues or crashing. I have used the AE build and am currently on the latest (I believe I mentioned the same build you are on, the nightly). Both crashed.

However, I am certain my issue isn't simply memory (in checking system stats my available mem free was about 20%). My mkv's are encoded in 1080P (the aTV 2 accepts 1080 but outputs to 720, however that doesn't mean it will necessarily play). As I don't want two versions of an HD movie, I decided on handbraking my HD encodes as certainly I may change to a device that supports full 1080P/DTS-HD mkv files. If Apple doesn't update their aTV with 512MB RAM and an A5+ processor, there's not much hope 1080 will be supported.

So question: What do any of you recommend as a replacement for the aTV 2 that supports 1080P, etc that isn't an HTPC (no need for a full system, I could always build one but it's overkill as I have a server for my media, just need a device with better hardware).

Sorry for the off topic reply, I'll create a new thread so I don't de-rail this one, but I wanted to reply here.

Thanks and sorry Keith! Smile
I do know that slow playback start is a known issue and also read the post which seems to say that it's about thumbnails/fanarts..

But I seem to be experiencing slow playback start, apparently from a different mechanism.

I'm running the 08/08/2011 nightly, on ATV2 with iOS 8F305.

To make sure I don't have any stale settings data, I uninstalled XBMC (apt-get remove) and deleted XBMC settings folder, and then re-installed the 10.0-9 official build and then 08/08 nightly.

I disabled thumbnail generations for video and pictures, and added my picture source, which resides on my Western Digital MyBook World edition, an SMB share over a wired network. And I deleted everything under the Thumbnails folder.

Then here's the XBMC.log for one .MOV file that took ~30 seconds to start. This MOV file is a HD video taken on an iPhone 4, but actually file format doesn't seem to matter. I see the same issue for all my other video files.

http://pastebin.com/8CX4ESGp

3 things that stand out to me in this log.

1) It takes 20 seconds to run ScanForExternalSubtitles. In case it helps, I found that I have a similar problem for 10.0-9 official build too, but just takes a little less ( about 8 secs ). 8 secs was kind of bearable for me, but 20 secs is too much.

2) av_find_stream_info takes 8 seconds from start to finish. This step takes about 3 seconds on 10.0-9 official.

3) I don't see any delay between "probing detected format" and "av_find_stream_info starting", unlike this previous post. http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=850...tcount=977

In case this is a known issue and it's simply my missing a few necessary settings, could someone kindly point me to a relevant thread/post? Or, can I just turn off the "ScanForExternalSubtitles" step? I tried changing "showsubtitles" property to false in guisettings.xml, but saw no effect.
I just watched a couple movies several Gb's in size with only 1 hiccup. I'm connected via SMB as well.
If there is ANY thing I can do to help, be that donation, bug/beta testing, whatever that would help get holding down buttons to scroll through lists quickly on ATV2, and to make the volume buttons not functionless, I would be willing and ready in an instant.

Autorepeat scrolling etc makes it hell to use the ATV with long lists if it isn't there Sad You literally have to sit there hitting a button for five minutes straight.

No volume means I have to get up and walk to my amp to turn the volume up and down Sad

I really would be willing to beta test this or donate or help in whatever way I could that did not involve coding.

You guys do awesome work though, thanks!

This build so far is rock solid for me other than these two issues.
@anethema: I agree, 'twould be awesome to have autoscroll. Just so you know in case you weren't aware, though, you can "page down/page up" if you're in a vertical list by pressing the key on your remote that corresponds to the direction in which the dark grey scroll bar is. For vertical lists, usually that's to the right of the list; for horizontal lists, it seems to usually be at the bottom. Once you're in "page mode", you can fairly quickly scroll through massive lists (or at least more quickly than if you were doing the list one at a time!) Smile
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
anethema Wrote:If there is ANY thing I can do to help, be that donation, bug/beta testing, whatever that would help get holding down buttons to scroll through lists quickly on ATV2, and to make the volume buttons not functionless, I would be willing and ready in an instant.

Autorepeat scrolling etc makes it hell to use the ATV with long lists if it isn't there Sad You literally have to sit there hitting a button for five minutes straight.

No volume means I have to get up and walk to my amp to turn the volume up and down Sad

I really would be willing to beta test this or donate or help in whatever way I could that did not involve coding.

You guys do awesome work though, thanks!

This build so far is rock solid for me other than these two issues.

Regarding the volume issue, ATV2 is all digital. If you use an ATV2 without XBMC, just the normal vanilla ATV2, you will notice there is no volume control anywhere.

Volume control is possible and will be added when the new Audio Engine is ready but that might not be for a while. Keep an eye on the forums because they will probably ask for testers again for the Audio Engine testing. There's no ETA on this.
Just updated:

From: PRE-11.0 Git:20110618-eedceeb (Compiled : Jun 18 2011)
To: PRE-11.0 Git:20110808-6b994c5 (Compiled: Aug 8 2011)

This fixed the issue I had where a particular avi file would always bomb out at the same point. And yes, now the music works.

A couple of things though:

1. An interrupted video now lo longer gives me the option to resume from where it was interrupted.
2. The little ticks that mark a video as watched are no longer remembered.

Are these known problems with this build, or should I attach logs?

Thanks.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues0