• 11(current)
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues
Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 on this:

keith Wrote:So guys, should we have the other thread 'faq/issues/etc' be the 'bleeding list bugs' thread, or should we continue to have 2 different threads, one for 'from apt-get' and a nightly one for bug list/organization?

Maybe we should break it out, so we have a FAQ/installation/etc one thats geared for apt-get/new folks, and then a bug list one as well, that may list bugs from the repo, but also nightlies.
Kind of a 'this is FAQ on how it should work' 'now here's the bug list on broken things'.
I think that your best bet is to split it into 2 threads, as you've suggested:
  1. FAQ/installation/etc.
  2. known issues (repo AND nightlies)

Having both sets of known issues in one thread would be nice for comparison of what's been fixed, and what functionality may be lost by upgrading to the nightly build.
I'd imagine that keeping the nightly issues up-to-date might be a challenge, but would be helpful if it can be done.
BTW; I'd recommend reserving at least the first 3 slots in the thread - the word limit is maxed out on the issues post and the FAQ post of the current thread.

Quote:If we do go down that route, I want to try to keep the FAQ thread specific to iOS/ATV2 just like the bug list thread.
Totally agree. Just make sure you've got a link to the wiki for general FAQs, and then the rest can be all iOS specific

Quote:Also should these threads be locked so we don't get troubleshooting on the threads themselves? I'm against locking threads AND continuing to post in them usually, but since the platform is fairly mature/usable now, I am not against this use of it for organizational purposes.
Personally, I'd recommend keeping the thread open. It's been very useful to have people report bugs in replies to the current issues/FAQ thread. It's made it easier to (mostly) keep on top of things than if that facility wasn't there. When I made that thread, I did try to make it clear that
"new issues should be confirmed beyond your own personal experience before posting them here"
Inevitably perhaps, there were still plenty of people who didn't read that and posted there for troubleshooting anyway, but on balance it has been helpful to have. Troubleshooting posters were usually dealt with in a single reply, and if not they were directed to start a new topic.

You could take a more stern approach and delete troubleshooting posts. If you do that then people will probably learn pretty quickly that this thread isn't the place for those kind of posts.

Either way, if you're planning on keeping the first post(s) up to date, then doing that is what really counts. The end user should be able to get all the information they need from that first post, and not have to go digging through the thread to find issues. Ultimately the rest of the thread is there to help you keep the first post up to date. If you want that help, keep it open; if you don't think that you need it, or if you think that risk of troubleshooting spam will be more of a hindrance than help then leave it closed.

*edit*
As mentioned in the post below this one, the last nightly thread did become difficult to use; from a standpoint of trying to find what issues were present. This was because new issues were being reported and discussed, but not necessarily confirmed, or put into a single post. What I was proposing in keeping the new thread open was that you use it to pick up confirmed bugs which have already been discussed elsewhere on the forum. As these are presented to you, rather than having to hunt them out yourself, then they're easier to add to a single list of bugs. I suggested this approach as it serves to 'lighten the load' of keeping track of what's going on. This might not be necessary if you're managing to keep track of all changes and bugs anyway.
keith Wrote:Recent new users, I'd love your input too on how you think this process could be improved on since you just started out.

I think it is a little unclear (at least to newcomers) where to post issues/bugs/questions/etc. (sometimes people use the nightly thread, and sometimes a separate thread). I vote for locking this faq/info thread, so that it's perfectly clear that it is for information only. I also think it's easier to read the forum when each new issue is given its own thread. The previous nightly-thread grew to more than 1000 individual posts with all sorts of topics being discussed, and it became very difficult to separate valuable information from the rest.

Rune.
procrastinator Wrote:
  1. FAQ/installation/etc.
+1
procrastinator Wrote:I think that your best bet is to split it into 2 threads, as you've suggested:
  1. FAQ/installation/etc.

Having both sets of known issues in one thread would be nice for comparison of what's been fixed, and what functionality may be lost by upgrading to the nightly build.

+1
rof-x Wrote:I think it is a little unclear (at least to newcomers) where to post issues/bugs/questions/etc. (sometimes people use the nightly thread, and sometimes a separate thread). I vote for locking this faq/info thread, so that it's perfectly clear that it is for information only. I also think it's easier to read the forum when each new issue is given its own thread. The previous nightly-thread grew to more than 1000 individual posts with all sorts of topics being discussed, and it became very difficult to separate valuable information from the rest.

Rune.

wise words imho...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
pcm2a Wrote:Resume shows is not working on 8/8 or 8/15 builds.

I am on an ATV2: Git: 20110815-82f48cd (Aug 15 2011)
Install method is the dpkg method in this top post.
Debug log: http://pastebin.com/2S33dQJK

To reproduce:
1. I pick a show and press the center button to start it.
2. I ship forward a few minutes.
3. I press pause
4. I press menu to exit the show
5. Back at the show list I long press menu for the context menu, no resume
6. Pressing play here also does not give you the popup resume/start over option

In the debug logs you can search for Pause and Stop to see the areas where it logged me pausing and stopping the show.

How can we get the resume working again? Thanks!

I am beginning some more testing on this. I paused a show over night and the Play/Resume works great. So now I'm thinking that on the ATV2 with the last few builds there is some period of time that you have to be paused for it to work. I'll report back.
pcm2a Wrote:I am beginning some more testing on this. I paused a show over night and the Play/Resume works great. So now I'm thinking that on the ATV2 with the last few builds there is some period of time that you have to be paused for it to work. I'll report back.
I think I have pinpointed what is going on. Before XBMC will write out the position you have to be over 5 minutes into the movie. As long as I skip up past 5 minutes the resume works.

1. Play a show to 6 minutes, pause and exit
2. Resume works
3. Start show from beginning and skip one minute in
4. Pause and exit
5. Resume still shows 6 minutes.

Very cool!
DarkHelmet Wrote:Could anyone confirm the following please.

My video library is empty. From the main menu go to videos and files. For me the follwing screen is more or less empty and I can't add any sources. That option is just missing and unlike the music section using the left arrow button on the atv remote does not have an effect.

Using Git:20110818-091397a, Confluence skin

I did a clean install and I'm in the middle of scanning my music files into the library, which might take some more hours. I'll provide a debug log later if necessary, when I'm done with that.

I can confirm on the other hand that smb shares can be accessed again (in the music section). A bug I reported here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=864...stcount=70

Can confirm this too on 4.3 with 20110818 and 20110820.

The Music > Files works but not Videos > Files.

The Videos page is just a wide empty black folder with no way to add a source.
Off topic a bit .... Am I missing something, the download links on the front page does not appear to go anywhere!
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb
I am trying the WGET for ATV2. Any help?
thanks.
you have to replace "latest_atv2" with the actual file name
mique Wrote:Off topic a bit .... Am I missing something, the download links on the front page does not appear to go anywhere!
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb
I am trying the WGET for ATV2. Any help?
thanks.
$wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...r-atv2.deb

Latest nightly builds here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/
Thanks, that worked.
When doing the 'dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb' How much of the link information should be entered where 'latest' is in the string?
I tried an number of combinations but 'cannot find file'

Thanks,
The plan moving forward:
Have 2 stickied threads, one for install/faq/workarounds (solutions) and one for known issues. (problems)

I'll leave procrastinator's thread as the 1st one and I'll make a brand new thread for the 2nd.

I will be locking my thread, but the install/faq/etc is up to procrastinator. I plan on having a 3rd, non stickied thread for 'needs verifying' that will discussion related to it. That way we still allow for discussion, but it doesn't clog up the other thread.

I'm going to lock this thread, because I am against deleting it so I want it to fade away into obscurity. Thanks for playing everyone, the best is yet to come. Smile
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues0