Whats the perfect build for me? (Prebuilt/Barebones)
Hello, Im trying to find _my_ perfect hardware. Let me explain my overall thinking before we get into the requirements.

I currently run a storage server (solaris) that holds all of my rips movies, music, and pictures. This server uses a ZFS filesystem for data redundancy. Anything on this server can be lost and reripped; so no need to go into that Smile
The build model that I am trying to use is the server/client build. The things I have read about XBMC make me think this is the best candidate for what I want.

XBMC-linux is the desired OS and this is all I plan on the boxes doing.
The only things I would like to do different are using an android remote and a mySQL backend for multi-room management. Im not sure if its possible but if I could use a single golden ISO for all the clients to boot from that would be ideal for later software upgrades. XBMC will connect to the server using NFS unless there is a better option.

Ok so to the hardware!
These are the things Im looking for but I am leery if there is a box that can do all these things.

1080p mkv flawlessly
hdmi
ethernet
wireless N (optional)
IR port (optional)
mITX/Thin mITX
VESA compatible (optional)
Low noise/power usage
5.1+ channel
Netflix
Stylish and good quality (important!)
If I can add my own SSD all the better Smile

Please let me know your suggestions and I would rather stay away from building my own since those are generally larger sizes and Im going to need 6 of them.
I think you lost Linux at NetFlix... Maybe someone else knows a NetFlix solution for Linux, but I haven't heard of anything. Maybe PlayOn can help, but I'm not sure.

Other than that, a Revo 3610 I believe would be great, or the Asus 1501. The Asus has IR and even a DVD player. No need for a hard drive if you wanted to go with OpenELEC on either of the machines too. I'm running a couple of smaller boxes on OpenELEC with a central library without a hitch.

There are a number of smaller dedicated boxes capable of what you want (again, NetFlix is going to be your problem).

Not sure about the Android remote thing with OpenELEC though. I've found using a iDevice clunky compared to a good Harmony remote (or even an MCE remote)...
Stylish depends on you taste,,,
what looks good to you might look bad to me,,,

its either you build it your self,
and you choose a stylish case,

or you go with a pre-built/nettop,,,
again, u might want to run through my htpc guide
and then you'll have a better idea of whats available for u,,,
http://ow.ly/1s4Jcf

oh yeah and, Linux + Netflix = NO

happy shopping
After looking over the costs of building one myself it turns out to be cheaper to buy prebuilt and comes in a smaller form factor.

I really hate using old ION technology but it is what it is.
These are what Im thinking about, opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883108535
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856176006
i'm not sure how much you want to spend on the pre-built. these might be better choice- Xtreamer ULTRA Mini-ITX and this zotac

or this diy and it'll take roughly 30 minutes to install it:

1. SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B or APEX MI-008
2. Zotac GeForce 9300
3. Silenx IXP7409 iXtrema Pro Fan
4. LG Black 12X BD-ROM
5. HP OEM Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control
6. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430
7. Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz
8. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
9. Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whats the perfect build for me? (Prebuilt/Barebones)0