Help with Home Theater and implementation of XBMC
Hi everyone,
just wanted to ask some questions and hoping to get some answers or suggestions regarding XBMC. I'm a little new to it, but it offers all the features I want. ie. similar to Kalaidescape.

The question i have is the following.

My Server (Windows Home Server) is setup in another room and all my back up videos/movies/pictures are on it. I don't want to build a HTPC as I have no place for it in my AV rack, is there another form of Client that I can use to stream the videos over and into my Processor which won't be loud, take up a lot of space etc and connect it to my processor?

I was thinking of a Windows Tablet as I have an HDMI and a Ethernet port at my seating position, since I don' believe 1080p works very well over Wifi. Plus, its very difficult to find a Windows tablet, let alone one with an ethernet port.

Sorry, i realized this is in the wrong section.
Would it be possible to build the HTPC, put it wherever your server is located, and run an HDMI cable to your processor. I do realize the cost implications of a long HDMI cable and an HTPC build. Or to integrate the HTPC into your preexisting server and then run an HDMI cable.

Quote:I was thinking of a Windows Tablet as I have an HDMI and a Ethernet port at my seating position, since I don' believe 1080p works very well over Wifi. Plus, its very difficult to find a Windows tablet, let alone one with an ethernet port.

It seems to me that finding any tablet with LAN access would be very unlikely.

The limitation that you have on using AV rack space, is goingto seriously impact your ability to get to your end goal. You should consider looking into the ultra-small pre-built boxes that are available. I can't imagine an AV rack so full that you can't fit something the size of a paperback book onto.

Something like this. Zotac Zboxhd-nd02-u.
It's only 188mm x 188mm x 44mm.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
This may or may not be helpful depending on your situation...
In order to save on space you could go one step farther as I did and build an HTPC that does "everything." (TV tuner/recorder, BR DVD player) Thus eliminate some of your other components from your AV rack? Now I just have my HTPC and my AV amp/tuner.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
TapRackPull Wrote:Would it be possible to build the HTPC, put it wherever your server is located, and run an HDMI cable to your processor. I do realize the cost implications of a long HDMI cable and an HTPC build. Or to integrate the HTPC into your preexisting server and then run an HDMI cable.

The limitation that you have on using AV rack space, is goingto seriously impact your ability to get to your end goal. You should consider looking into the ultra-small pre-built boxes that are available. I can't imagine an AV rack so full that you can't fit something the size of a paperback book onto.

Something like this. Zotac Zboxhd-nd02-u.
It's only 188mm x 188mm x 44mm.

Thanks for the link to that unit.
Well, the rack is 42U's and if I include the slim PS3 and a Oppo 93, I'm at 39U's used, and I haven't really added any space for cooling.

The ceiling is up in my basement currently and that leaves me no option to do the long run. But I don't think I would have gone that route anyways.

outatouch0 Wrote:This may or may not be helpful depending on your situation...
In order to save on space you could go one step farther as I did and build an HTPC that does "everything." (TV tuner/recorder, BR DVD player) Thus eliminate some of your other components from your AV rack? Now I just have my HTPC and my AV amp/tuner.

Yes this idea has come to mind, as I forgo the bdp93 in favor of a htpc w/bd.
But then my DVD-A collection would be useless to a certain degree, but not like that format isn't dead already.
i think that you are thinking of these- Windows 7 Tablet

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Home Theater and implementation of XBMC0