XBMC Nobbie
Ok this will be my first try at setting up XBMC, I have my main system for only a few weeks. AMD 6core 8 gig, and soon to get a stand alone system or NAS to do this properly.
I'm looking at HP Proliant microserver there is a fella that makes Home Theater PCs with them, From what Ive read they it should do all I need.
Only need it to send to 1 TV a Samsung UA40C7000WF do I need an App running on the TV to get XBMC working ?
Looking to use a Harmony Remote anything special about its setup ?

So looking at the OP. I have never setup couch potato, sickbeard or sabnzbd+.
Is there other back ground software needed ?

So If someone could ether list all that I need or point me at the right pages, I would be thankful.
I think you may be confused on a HTPC setup. A HTPC is basically a computer that, instead of being hooked up to a monitor, it's hooked up to a TV. The HTPC runs XBMC and the display appears on the TV that is hoked up to it (usually over HDMI).

A 6core CPU is overkill to put it lightly. Not that it can't be used, and but that's a lot of power/heat that you don't usually want to use.

You will need a PC running XBMC running for each TV you want to watch media on.

There are many guides on setting up sab+, couchpotato, and sickbeard. Probably best thing to check out their forums for more specific help regarding those.
In my signature there is a link for a guide to get those set up. However, I have been unsuccessful in setting up couch potato as of yet. I have tried multiple guides. No worries, I am used to browsing for movies anyway. Thus I have not put much effort into troubleshooting or asking for help on couch potato setup. Many people seem to have it working so I am sure it is my own operator error and likely something simple... lol
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Here's a quick runthrough for the OP, in case he is confused about what does what, and what exactly is necessary for different setups.

HTPC: This is a Home Theater Personal Computer, or a computer that uses a TV as a monitor. Sometimes they're controlled by a mouse and keyboard, like a traditional computer, and sometimes they're controlled by a remote. An old tower you hook up to a TV to play the occasional YouTube video is a kind of HTPC, though usually when we talk about HTPCs here we talk about computers running a certain piece of software called...

XBMC: This is a piece of software that runs on many different kinds of computers, and helps make an HTPC feel more like an "appliance" than a "computer". Kind of like a DVD player, or a cable box -- something you can control from the couch with a remote. XBMC does quite a few things, but basically it boils down to a program that helps you organize, select, and play your media files.

SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, CouchPotato: These are extra programs, used for downloading media (TV shows and Movies) you can play with XBMC. They're not necessary for XBMC to run, but some people like what they offer. In any case, most folks rightly recommend you get XBMC running properly before you start worrying about them.

The computer you describe above is very processor-heavy. XBMC doesn't usually require a lot of processing power, but it is a little picky about video cards (for the best possible experience). This forum has tons of info on recommended builds, if you decide to use a dedicated PC for the purpose, or you can use what you already have.

The TV is unimportant, so long as it can display a picture you're happy with from the HTPC. I use an extremely normal TV, and my video card outputs 1080p over HDMI, which is very easy. Other people have more complex solutions, but there certainly should be no need for your TV to run apps.

Does this clear anything up?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Nobbie0