Harmony One, MCE Keyboard device not working
I'm having a problem with setting up my Harmony One remote with XBMC. Specifically the MCE Keyboard device refuses to send signals to my IR receiver.

I finally managed to get the MCE Remote device to work by going thru the "Troubleshooting" guide in the Logitech software in which I manually sent signals from the original MCE Remote to the Harmony One (pointed one at the other and pressed buttons as prompted).

The MCE Keyboard device, however, still stumps me. After setting it up in the Logitech software it simply does not work. The IR reciever will normally blink when it receives a command from any remote who's signals are getting thru, but I get no blinks when using the MCE Keyboard device. I had the same issue with the MCE Remote device until I did the troubleshooting guide and manually lined up the remotes and started pressing buttons. The keyboard, however, is not a remote and therefore does not generate IR signals, so this is not an option.

Has anyone else out there experienced this? Am I missing a step?

Help! please
What IR receiver are you using? Setting the Harmony to emulate an MCE keyboard will only work if the receiver is MS compatible (known as eHome or RC6). See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to check if your IR receiver is using the eHome driver.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:What IR receiver are you using? Setting the Harmony to emulate an MCE keyboard will only work if the receiver is MS compatible (known as eHome or RC6). See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to check if your IR receiver is using the eHome driver.

JR

Thanks so much, JHS, for the response! I've been kinda pullin my hair out over here. As per your instruction I've discover that I do indeed have the WRONG IR receiver. It works fine for "teaching" my harmony directly from another remote IR device, but not otherwise.

So, now I need to find a proper eHome or RC6 IR receiver, correct?

Do you have any suggestions on either where I can purchase the receiver separately and exeactly what product that is, or what product I should get that will come with a proper RC6 or eHome receiver? (I don't mind buying a remote just to get the receiver. I've already done it once, just ended up with the wrong dang receiver Huh )

EDIT: Just ran across this. Will this product work?:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056INAX0/ref=...B0056INAX0

Even if the product above would work, I'd still like to get your personal recommendations in hopes that I may locate something that I could drive to, or get my hands on quicker. An imminent business trip is looming and I need this taken care of before I leave.

Thanks very much!
I am a little confused about your setup and exactly what you are attempting to do here. Please tell us more specifics about your hardware and your settings.

I too had difficulty initially. As it turned out I was making it harder than it actually was. I DID NOT NEED any other software, DID NOT NEED the MCE add-on/plugin from the XBMC repository. These things control how the IR receiver functions with Windows.
As JR said, if your IR receiver is an R6 or eHome device you are fine. Check your device manager - Infra Red devices for the "eHome" driver. JR's MCE addon/plugin is designed for these. However, I found I did not need it nor any other configurations on the Windows side of things.

All that was required was finding the chart in the wiki that indicates what keyboard button presses = which XBMC commands. Under Activities in the harmony software simply set them to match up with the buttons on your Harmony remote.

It sounds to me like you might be trying to set up your remote as both an MCE remote AND MCE keyboard. You only need to set it up as MCE keyboard.
Keep in mind, the "MCE keyboard" is an "imaginary device" as you likely don't really have one. You are simply telling the Remote to control the keyboard or to act as if it were a keyboard. (credit to JR for his patience in helping me grasp the above concepts).
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:I am a little confused about your setup and exactly what you are attempting to do here. Please tell us more specifics about your hardware and your settings.

I too had difficulty initially. As it turned out I was making it harder than it actually was. I DID NOT NEED any other software, DID NOT NEED the MCE add-on/plugin from the XBMC repository. These things control how the IR receiver functions with Windows.
As JR said, if your IR receiver is an R6 or eHome device you are fine. Check your device manager - Infra Red devices for the "eHome" driver. JR's MCE addon/plugin is designed for these. However, I found I did not need it nor any other configurations on the Windows side of things.

All that was required was finding the chart in the wiki that indicates what keyboard button presses = which XBMC commands. Under Activities in the harmony software simply set them to match up with the buttons on your Harmony remote.

It sounds to me like you might be trying to set up your remote as both an MCE remote AND MCE keyboard. You only need to set it up as MCE keyboard.
Keep in mind, the "MCE keyboard" is an "imaginary device" as you likely don't really have one. You are simply telling the Remote to control the keyboard or to act as if it were a keyboard. (credit to JR for his patience in helping me grasp the above concepts).

Hi Outatouch.

Here's a quick run-down on my configuration:

- Newly built HTPC running Windows 7 Ultimate and the latest public build of XBMC.
- Harmony One remote
- XBMC is configured to run TMT5 for ISOs, via AutoFrequency
- XBMC is configured to run MPC-HC for all other file types, via AutoFrequency.

Not sure what other info you would need, but I'm happy to provide any stats you require if I've missed anything.

I think I do understand the concepts you're outlining here. The main one being that I need to set up my Harmony One with the MCE Keyboard config as it will hand off a keyboard control structure to the Harmony. I also understand that none of this can take place if I don't have the correct IR receiver, which I DO NOT (Thanks to JR for pointing this out to me). So my only real problem now is getting my hands on the correct reciever.

Would you agree?

Do you have any product recommendations for me, that would either BE or include an eHome or RC6 IR receiver?

Thanks for the help, Outa. It's very much appreciated.
The HP receiver is a popular choice. The HP receiver looks like this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_Remote. If you can find an original Microsoft receiver that's good too, but they are harder to find.

You don't say whereabouts in the world you are, but ebay.co.uk and ebay.com usually have HP receivers. You may end up having to buy a handset/receiver pair, but that's not such a bad thing as it can be useful to have the original handset available for testing in case there are problems.

The receiver you found on Amazon should work. It looks like a Microsoft receiver, and Dell do sell rebadged Microsoft receivers (in fact I have one).

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The HP receiver is a popular choice. The HP receiver looks like this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_Remote. If you can find an original Microsoft receiver that's good too, but they are harder to find.

You don't say whereabouts in the world you are, but ebay.co.uk and ebay.com usually have HP receivers. You may end up having to buy a handset/receiver pair, but that's not such a bad thing as it can be useful to have the original handset available for testing in case there are problems.

The receiver you found on Amazon should work. It looks like a Microsoft receiver, and Dell do sell rebadged Microsoft receivers (in fact I have one).

JR

You're fantastic, JR. Just ordered the item you suggested. Placed the order thru Amazon as I'm a Prime Member there and can get it delivered tomorrow for no extra charge. This is the item:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PXJGXU

Sure hope it's the right one. Looks exactly like the one you linked me to on EBAY.

I'll post the results as soon as I test it out.

Thanks again.
$23 and free shipping! That's a bargain :-)

That remote should work fine. I have one of those remotes and it works fine here.

JR
Just got it. Gotta love Amazon. Truly overnight delivery, and arrived in the AM too!
Look right to you? http://db.tt/xpmxQbz

Let's hope it works!

Thanks for the guidance!
Awwww crap.

Well, after struggling a bit to get the receiver driver to install (had to try a different USB port initially, though they all work with the device now) i can confirm that I AM getting a red light to blink on the receiver whenever I use a button on the Harmony One. Never got this with the last receiver I had.

Unfortunately, still no action in XBMC. I've programmed the remote as recommended here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063 and nothing. Red light on receiver is blinking, but nothing in XBMC.

I'm perplexed, befuddled, and a little irritated. Why is it this just seems to work so easily for others but not In my system.

One note: a couple times, after using my real keyboard to navigate XBMC while testing the receiver, I DID get some action in XBMC, just a couple menu
changes, but then nothing.

EDIT: OK. What the BLANK is going on? It works. BUt only when I point the remote straight up! When I point my Harmony directly at the IR receiver I get the blinking red light with each button press but no action in XBMC. But when
I point the damn thing straight up in the air - everything works fine!

Now I'm perplexed, befuddled, kinda happy that at least the thing works, and kinda pissed that I have to do an imitation of the Statue of Liberty every time I wanna use my remote!

Have you EVER heard of this?
ptaylor999 Wrote:Awwww crap.

Well, after struggling a bit to get the receiver driver to install (had to try a different USB port initially, though they all work with the device now) i can confirm that I AM getting a red light to blink on the receiver whenever I use a button on the Harmony One. Never got this with the last receiver I had.

Unfortunately, still no action in XBMC. I've programmed the remote as recommended here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063 and nothing. Red light on receiver is blinking, but nothing in XBMC.

I'm perplexed, befuddled, and a little irritated. Why is it this just seems to work so easily for others but not In my system.

One note: a couple times, after using my real keyboard to navigate XBMC while testing the receiver, I DID get some action in XBMC, just a couple menu
changes, but then nothing.

EDIT: OK. What the BLANK is going on? It works. BUt only when I point the remote straight up! When I point my Harmony directly at the IR receiver I get the blinking red light with each button press but no action in XBMC. But when
I point the damn thing straight up in the air - everything works fine!

Now I'm perplexed, befuddled, kinda happy that at least the thing works, and kinda pissed that I have to do an imitation of the Statue of Liberty every time I wanna use my remote!

Have you EVER heard of this?

OK. Nevermind. It's because I was testing with the receiver too close to the remote. Had the thing sitting right in front of me, bout a foot away. When I move a few feet back everything is good.

Problem solved. Still doesn't make sense, but It all works fine now.

And I have an urge to visit New York.
ptaylor999 Wrote:I'm perplexed, befuddled, and a little irritated. Why is it this just seems to work so easily for others but not In my system.

Who said it was easy?
If it were, there would not be threads on the subject

Glad you were able to get it working Laugh
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
This is unbelievable!
I've just set up my Harmony One with an HP Receiver but couldn't get any of the buttons assigned to the keyboard functions to work - even though the light on the receiver always flashed. Found this thread and almost laughed - but tipped the remote up and pushed a few buttons - all worked fine. Huh I was about 4ft away. I've moved about 6ft away now and it works much more often (the receiver light still always flashes!) - but it never fails when vertical. Any idea why? It's almost like the signal is too strong when pointed at it from 'too near'.
I'm fighting with this at the moment...

If you're still pointing at the ceiling it's probably an inter key delay setting or repeat setting on the Harmony One setup.

Try running ir-keytable - which will give you the delay and put that into the delay settings in the device settings on the Harmony GUI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony One, MCE Keyboard device not working0