• 1(current)
Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?
I am about ready to switch to XBMC. I have been searching the forums but haven't found a recent answer in any of the threads I have read.

My blurays are stored on my server in the original BD format with everything but the video and lossless audio track stripped. They play great on my laptop which I have been using for testing out XBMC but that's just to the built-in speakers. Before installing on my HTPC, I want to make sure it is in fact possible to bitstream those DTS-MA / TrueHD audio tracks to my receiver (through my 5xxx) without using an external player or needing any additional software.

Thanks in advance!!
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
if want to enjoy hd audio with your htpc and capable avr, here are two ways to enjoy it:

you can get dts-hd and truehd with xbmc w/ these steps: download darma 10.1, but launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio.

if you're using win7 mce, here are step by step to pass-through dts-hd and truehd codecs to your avr via hdmi:
1. download- w7 codec pack
2. download- shark007 32bit. if you're running w7 x64, you have to download this too- shark007 64-bit
3. follow this step by step visual instruction after 1&2 downloaded and the settings have to be correct for it to work properly- dts-hd and truehd pass-through
Once the new AudioEngine is merged into XBMC, you will be able to play those bitstreams natively without any sort of trickery. That functionality will be in the next stable release, Eden.
menace Wrote:Once the new AudioEngine is merged into XBMC, you will be able to play those bitstreams natively without any sort of trickery. That functionality will be in the next stable release, Eden.

Flip, can't wait - I have actually put my XBMC tinkering on hold until this realease comes out.
Any ideas on ETA??
getafix Wrote:Flip, can't wait - I have actually put my XBMC tinkering on hold until this realease comes out.
Any ideas on ETA??
why wait when you can enjoy it with this: download darma 10.1, but launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Download the XBMC version (DSplayer) from this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106629

Then just do a little google searching on configuring FFDshow for HD audio.
Mallet21 Wrote:Download the XBMC version (DSplayer) from this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106629

Then just do a little google searching on configuring FFDshow for HD audio.
if you want to enjoy hd audio without hassle, you can use xbmc version in my post #2 or in my signature.

if you want to use with the free external player options, you do it as below:
1. Realtek
2. FFDShow
3. MPC-HC

You should be able to see these using Microft Windows Vista/7:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=479.15
Thanks so much to everyone who has replied!

I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I can. Do any of you know if forced subs on blurays actually work in Eden? I may be forced to MPC-HC for that alone...not that I have anything against it, it's just that I am so sick of messing with codecs I could scream. That's the main thing that led me back to XBMC.
TechLife Wrote:Thanks so much to everyone who has replied!

Do any of you know if forced subs on blurays actually work in Eden?
i'm not sure what you are asking.

TechLife Wrote:I may be forced to MPC-HC for that alone...not that I have anything against it, it's just that I am so sick of messing with codecs I could scream. That's the main thing that led me back to XBMC.
download darma 10.1, but launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio.

there is no messay advancesettings, playercorefactory and codecs with the above xbmc version.
bluray Wrote:if you want to enjoy hd audio without hassle, you can use xbmc version in my post #2 or in my signature.

if you want to use with the free external player options, you do it as below:
1. Realtek
2. FFDShow
3. MPC-HC

You should be able to see these using Microft Windows Vista/7:

Hey,

I'm currenly connecting my ION to my Pioneer VSX AVR and my Windows HDMI screen shows Channels 8/Freq etc but only shows "Dolby Digital" as a supported format, even though my AVR is a very recent model and supports TrueHD / DTS-MA etc and other HD formats?

Anyone any ideas why this would be the case? Could it be that the HDMI i have it connected to only allows certain formats and the HD formats are only supported on some HDMI inputs and not on the others? Could it be the cable? Or have i missed a setting somewhere...

My amp plays DTS files perfectly from xbmc and shows this as DTS as well as Dolby Digital files etc... however stereo is showing as PCM.

Also i have my speakers to 5.1 and all sounds are present when testing the speakers.
I'm confused as to why it only shows dolby digital when infact its a brand new modern expensive AVR but according to windows 7 only shows support support for Dolby Digital Huh
Its not the AVR that dictates the Supported formats, but the Hardware in your PC set-up. If your hardware doesn't support them, they won't show, irrespective of how your AVR handles them.
PatrickBateman Wrote:Hey,

I'm currenly connecting my ION to my Pioneer VSX AVR and my Windows HDMI screen shows Channels 8/Freq etc but only shows "Dolby Digital" as a supported format, even though my AVR is a very recent model and supports TrueHD / DTS-MA etc and other HD formats?

Anyone any ideas why this would be the case? Could it be that the HDMI i have it connected to only allows certain formats and the HD formats are only supported on some HDMI inputs and not on the others? Could it be the cable? Or have i missed a setting somewhere...

My amp plays DTS files perfectly from xbmc and shows this as DTS as well as Dolby Digital files etc... however stereo is showing as PCM.

Also i have my speakers to 5.1 and all sounds are present when testing the speakers.
I'm confused as to why it only shows dolby digital when infact its a brand new modern expensive AVR but according to windows 7 only shows support support for Dolby Digital Huh
your avr and hdmi cable are fine. it's possible that you'r missing something in your htpc, which doesn't allow it to bitstream properly. did you see the below settings in your htpc?

if you see it, can you try to playback bd m2ts or mkv file using standalone mpc-hc player? if dts-hd/truehd work with mpc-hc by itself, then you can move on to xbmc.

when you're ready to tackle xbmc, i'm suggesting this- download darma 10.1, but launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio it's easier and less messier than advancesettings and playercorefactory method.
He's already said he doesn't Huh
Hey,

Yea I'm using an NVIDIA ION and it does bit stream DTS perfectly to my receiver. However, in the NVIDIA settings, it doesn't show support for DTS. Only DolbyDigital?

@STEELMAN, I'm pretty sure that the device the HDMI is connected to does dictate what is shown on that NVIDIA Audio setting, as when I connect the HDMI directly to my TV is shows less sample rates and 2.0 stereo only and 2 channels (not 8 as it shows when connected to the AVR, is this not a prerequisite of the HDMI HDCP standard or at the very least part of the handshake between HDMI devices?)

Any way, my ION only shows "Dolby Digital" and 8 channels but does not mention DTS etc even though DTS bit streams fine in both XBMC and MPC-HC using FFDshow and Core AVC.

I'm assuming I've missed something somewhere.

Can anyone else with an ION (Revo 3610) confirm what there HDMI option shows?

Cheers,

Huh
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?0