XBMC not playing ISO
Question 
Hi Guys,

I've recently installed XBMC on a clean Win7 x32 machine, but I'm unable to get XBMC to play any DVD ISOs.

The machine only has XBMC, NOD32 anti-virus and the K-Lite codec package installed, plus all the latest drivers and updates.
I've already tried updating XBMC to the latest nightly build: d085231

my logfile: http://pastebin.com/in6cXRyk

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Michel
michelvdriel Wrote:Hi Guys,

I've recently installed XBMC on a clean Win7 x32 machine, but I'm unable to get XBMC to play any DVD ISOs.

The machine only has XBMC, NOD32 anti-virus and the K-Lite codec package installed, plus all the latest drivers and updates.
I've already tried updating XBMC to the latest nightly build: d085231

my logfile: http://pastebin.com/in6cXRyk

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Michel
xbmc wouldn't playback bd/dvd iso by itself. you should be able to playback all bd/dvd files with the steps below-

1. the easiest way- download darma 10.1, but launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio.

2. using external player (powerdvd, totalmedia 5, etc) with these codes:
these codes should work, and you need to structure the folder and codes as the enclosed guide in the link. it work flawless on my three htpcs- xbmc_vcd_tmt5 (if you want to use your personal player, you can simply replace tmt5)

below are the actual codes, and you can simply copy the coded into notepad to create the files and save it in the folder as above and replace tmt5 with powerdvd:

PlayDisc.BAT
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 5\uTotalMediaTheatre5.exe" E: (note- E: is bd-rom)

PlayISO.BAT
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 5\uTotalMediaTheatre5.exe" N: (note-N: is vcd drive use for mounting iso)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u

playercorefactory.XML
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="PlayISO" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\PlayISO.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
<player name="PlayDisc" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\PlayDisc.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<!-- Bluray ISO -->
<rule filename="*iso*" player="PlayISO"/>

<!-- Bluray Disc -->
<rule protocols="bd" player="PlayDisc"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
XBMC can and should be able to play DVD iso files, it can play unencrypted bluray isos too (without HD audio though).

Do you have this problem with just the nightly builds or do you get it with 10.1 too?

Btw, codec packs have no effect on XBMC.
Thx bluray, I'm certain to give your tips a try if I can't figure out how to play DVDs directly from XBMC.

0wing, I wasn't sure if codecpacks had any influence. Mentioning K-Lite to be sure.
I've got the same problem with 10.1 as well. I upgraded to the nightly build just to see if this solved the problem... which it didn't.

Haven't tested a blu-ray ISO yet, just focused on the DVD isos for the moment.

The problem arises with every single DVD iso. If I unpack one (I've tried three), XBMC plays it just fine.
i have been using iso's with no problem. i've ripped my collection, about 250 movies and more tv shows, to uncompressed iso and they play fine.
win 7 x64
dharma stable

xbmc4xbox 3.0.1 stable
michelvdriel Wrote:Thx bluray, I'm certain to give your tips a try if I can't figure out how to play DVDs directly from XBMC.

0wing, I wasn't sure if codecpacks had any influence. Mentioning K-Lite to be sure.
I've got the same problem with 10.1 as well. I upgraded to the nightly build just to see if this solved the problem... which it didn't.

The problem arises with every single DVD iso. If I unpack one (I've tried three), XBMC plays it just fine.
i'm enjoy using the pre-eden in my signature. i can play just about any dvd/bd files with dts-hd/truehd audios without the messy advancesettings and playercorefactory.
michelvdriel Wrote:Thx bluray, I'm certain to give your tips a try if I can't figure out how to play DVDs directly from XBMC.

We need to see a debug log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC and try playing one of the offending ISOs. To open the debug log is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.

A quick check: is the ISO a DVD image? I don't think XBMC can play ISOs of data DVDs, but it can certainly play ISOs of video DVDs.

JR
Hi bluray,
It looks like a very good workaround, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem. XBMC should be able to play these ISOs out of the box, but it doesn't and I want to solve this. Thanks for your guide though, I might just need it if I'm unable to work this out Smile

Hi jhsrennie,
thanks for your reply.
I've already included my debug logfile, see the link in my original post (link to pastbin).
And to confirm, all ISOs are indeed video DVD images.
I used XBMC before on another computer, and was able to play these files out of the box without a hitch.
i'm not 100, but i'm 95 this is the case (it usually is);

are you 100% that those are proper DVD iso's? the problem is very often they have a joliet + iso level 3 filesystem, a dvd iso is hybrid iso level 1 / udf 1.02. it works in other players cause those mount through the os'es routines which supports those file system. libdvdread, which we use to read isos, does not.

secondarily, if you are absolutely certain they are proper dvd isos,
i also see that your libdvdcss is very confused as to where it can find its cache dir. that looks to be a windows-only issue, and there i can't help much.
Well, there's only one way to check if the ISOs are of the right filesystem... I'm going to recode one and see if this works.
Will report back!
What do you mean recode all you need to do is unpack the ISO and then create a new one or just unpack them and use folders
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
With recoding it, I did mean unpacking it and making a new one. Playing the files itself works great.
spiff Wrote:i also see that your libdvdcss is very confused as to where it can find its cache dir. that looks to be a windows-only issue, and there i can't help much.

On Windows playing an ISO of a DVD always seems to generate the errors:

Code:
INFO:   msg: libdvdcss error: failed creating cache directory
INFO:   msg: libdvdnav: Unable to find map file 'RIVE=C:/.dvdnav/title.map'

but they still play fine. I've just tested with an ISO I had lying around (with v10.1 not a nightly build). I used MagicISO to check the ISO properties and they are:

ISO 9660
UDF
ISO Level 1
Not Joliet

JR
Well, it seemed to be a problem with the ISOs themselves. I've unpacked an ISO file and repacked it. This one played without a problem.
Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction!
michelvdriel Wrote:Hi bluray,
It looks like a very good workaround, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem. XBMC should be able to play these ISOs out of the box, but it doesn't and I want to solve this. Thanks for your guide though, I might just need it if I'm unable to work this out Smile
if it works, use it till they release the next version.

i'm still thinking there is something wrong with your iso. my dvd iso works fine with darma 10.1.

if you want to playback bd iso, you still need to use pre-eden in my signature or external player!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not playing ISO0