Router/Networking Scenario w/UNRAID - Please help, need it ASAP
Atlast my apartment situation is confirmed.

I have a router downstairs. My HTPC is upstairs.

I have three options as I can see:

1) Place the unraid server downstairs next to the router
problem: flatmate doesn't want it in the lounge looking out of place.
the usb stick can easily get fucked with by visitors.

2) Ethernet Cable from router to server upstairs
problem: wires, drilling since its rented accomadation. a lot of effort.

3) Repeater/Secondary Router
problems: well, more just the lack of knowledge where i'm hoping i can get some guidance. will a repeater/router provide the same strength? I stream 720p mkvs seem to be a bit intensive/harder to stream at home but its all dandy so far.

its an open apartment so the secondary router would be i'd say about 10-20 metres away from the real router.

If so... what type of router/repeater shall I buy? Would any do? I see second-hand ones going on ebay etc. I don't mind buying new and having warantee if its fairly reasonable £0-50 range.

Thanks guys, I need help ASAP cos I'm moving in soon so want to get everything ordered today/tommorow.
My vote is for option 2. even if you get a repeater you still need to have a wire dropped.

Personally I would put the UNRAID in a safe room (bedroom possibly) and drag the line from that to the router.

simple and probably the best way to go.

Good luck.

SoBBie
Also how will the HTPC upstairs be connecting to the unRAID server?

aoaaron Wrote:1) ...
the usb stick can easily get fucked with by visitors.
An internal USB header adapter would be great for this point.
thank you guys.

i bought a powerlink adapter set for £40 and will wire up from there.
If that proves to not work out well and you already have cable (COAX) for like your TV cable you can use MOCA adapters. There a little more costly but they operate at 100MB and work very well.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Router/Networking Scenario w/UNRAID - Please help, need it ASAP0