Kids Section - Community Support
wyrm Wrote:igotdvds,

This exact thing has been a long term goal of my skin (button to change between Adult and kids profile that required minimal setup from user). Was not happy with the effort and result required to get this working to my satisfaction but will no doubt revisit it at some stage. But until then I have included smartplaylists in my skin for Adult and Kids Movies and TV. What I do is check that the mpaa rating for the content is rated G or PG (for Kids) and rating is not G or PG (for Adults). Works pretty well as long as I make sure that the rating info for new content is kept upto date.

Some nice kid friendly iconography to attach to the playlists would certainly not go astray.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

BTW code shown in mcborzu's post is exactly what you would use for the playlist (although I allow the user to select which particular smartplay list to assign to the playlist buttons)

Can the playlist be limited to TV Shows only?
To learn more, click here.
What about movies and addons. Would be nice to have custom menu for specific addons and custom submenu. Ie. Kids live tv main menu then submenu of seeon disney, nick, nick jr etc with background and icon. (this would be added from favorites).
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
+1 to this idea as well.

Thing to keep in mind is that a higher overall WAF rating will allow you more credits for your other XBMC ventures... It's a give and take scenario. Laugh
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:+1 to this idea as well.

Thing to keep in mind is that a higher overall WAF rating will allow you more credits for your other XBMC ventures... It's a give and take scenario. Laugh

Also getting another generation of xbmc users ready.. Whats funny is that my 5 yr old told her cousin one time why she has all these channels on her tv and why she couldnt get movies up. She told her "we have xbmc which gives us movies and tv shows anytime we want." was funny listening to her explain xbmc and how easy it was to get content.
igotdvds Wrote:Can the playlist be limited to TV Shows only?
igotdvds,

Yes, here is my TV Shows playlist
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="tvshows">
    <name>Childrens TV</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="mpaarating" operator="endswith">G</rule>
</smartplaylist> 
and here is my Movie playlist
PHP Code:
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Childrens Movies</name>
    <match>one</match>
</smartplaylist> 
Smartplaylists are a very powerful feature of XBMC that again is probably under used. Just the same I think that switching profiles is a much better solution to keeping Adults and Kids programming separate.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
wyrm Wrote:igotdvds,

Yes, here is my TV Shows playlist
PHP Code:
<smartplaylist type="tvshows">
    <name>Childrens TV</name>
    <match>all</match>
</smartplaylist> 
and here is my Movie playlist
PHP Code:
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Childrens Movies</name>
    <match>one</match>
</smartplaylist> 
Smartplaylists are a very powerful feature of XBMC that again is probably under used. Just the same I think that switching profiles is a much better solution to keeping Adults and Kids programming separate.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Agreed. I seperate their content and I even have their own logins for youtube and other addons.
I have a view working in Simplicity. The Logo Downloader works as well and now pulls character.png if the show has one. We are using the TV Show logo as the fallback. That way its still a picture. I will finish it up this weekend.
igotdvds Wrote:I have a view working in Simplicity. The Logo Downloader works as well and now pulls character.png if the show has one. We are using the TV Show logo as the fallback. That way its still a picture. I will finish it up this weekend.
Looking forward to it.
Ok, I have screenshots now of a working view. Still need to work out a kink to get the logo to be the fallback. I've posted the issue in another thread.

But anyway...here it is.

Home Screen Access: Opens a playlist of TV Shows with the genre 'Children'

Character View:

That's pretty cool. While I don't have kids (yet) I certainly have enough nephews and nieces who pop around from time to time. If this makes it easier to show kids what I've got for them.... awesome. I'll be following this with interest. Movies should be included too. I have plenty of Disney/Dreamworks movies that they could watch.
Added a fallback image.

Finished the Season view:

Finished Episode view:

Jezz_X Wrote:this is what profiles are for you have a kids profile and an adults profile.

each can have its own sources / library / addons so kids only get kid friendly stuff and a special skin of their own and the adult one can even have a password and a different skin again. Its one of the most under used XBMC features I would say. The trouble is the lack of skins people think a kid can use

The problem with profiles is that you have to divide your media into kids/non-kids locations, then as your kids get older and other media is deemed appropriate it has to be moved to the kid-acceptable source. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it is just too cumbersome for me.
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
technojunkie Wrote:The problem with profiles is that you have to divide your media into kids/non-kids locations, then as your kids get older and other media is deemed appropriate it has to be moved to the kid-acceptable source. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it is just too cumbersome for me.

yeah I thought the same thing however after initial setup its pretty easy to keep the stuff organized. Plus then my kids cannot accidently watch something they are not suppose to.

1. I have setup two profiles in xbmc
  2. I have set up on my hard drives xbmc kids xbmc folder and xbmc kids tv shows
  3. I have setup two instances of Couch potato for movie downloading. very easy to do. then when I want a kid movie I just go to that instance of CP and set it up for download. this way CP handles all the post processing
  4. I have set up sickbeard with the xbmc kids tv shows and xbmc adult path. When I add a new show I just choose the path and SB handles the rest.
  5. then ofcourse you have to set up your xbmc sources for the kids profiles however when its all done after the first time you really dont have to do anything else. I also have it scan on startup so my kids dont have to update the library.
technojunkie Wrote:The problem with profiles is that you have to divide your media into kids/non-kids locations, then as your kids get older and other media is deemed appropriate it has to be moved to the kid-acceptable source. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it is just too cumbersome for me.

This isnt for separate profiles. This is for a playlist for children. Just FYI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kids Section - Community Support0