[iPad2] Easy option to NOT use MySQL when not on home network?
Hi all,

I have everything working perfectly at home on Windows, ATV2 and iPad2. The library shares over smb and the db is all tied together via MySQL. I also have a couple videos stored on the ipad locally and xbmc is the only video player that can play the big files correctly. I've tried many, many other players and they all have jumpy playback.

Playing these local files works great when I'm at home, but when I'm away XBMC obviously won't start because it sees in advancedsettings.xml to expect a MySQL db. My question is, is there a quick way to make XBMC run when not on my home network, short of editing advancedsettings.xml every time?

Thanks!
put your mysql server public address in the advancesettings.xml and forward 3306 in your router
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

You can also use profiles when you are away from home.
dizzyikea Wrote:put your mysql server public address in the advancesettings.xml and forward 3306 in your router

I guess that is an acceptable solution, but I'd rather not expose my MySQL implementation to the world.

banzai75x Wrote:You can also use profiles when you are away from home.

From my understanding, you can only choose your profile once XBMC is running. And with this problem, XBMC won't even start so I can't choose a different profile.
What about VPN then before you launch xbmc connect your home network via vpn? has the side effect of being able to watch non local stuff if the connection is good enough
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

dizzyikea Wrote:What about VPN then before you launch xbmc connect your home network via vpn? has the side effect of being able to watch non local stuff if the connection is good enough

All seems counter productive. What if I'm on an airplane? I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to watch a local video via xbmc, so I'd really like it to not involve any networking.

I do appreciate your suggestions, however Big Grin
cody_dingo-

The simplest solution I've found is to just use iFile to rename the advancedsettings.xml when I'm on the road. It only takes a second, and then when I return home, I just name it back. The profile solution also works, but for me, since I'm home far more often than not, it's simper to avoid profiles.
ChipsAhoy Wrote:cody_dingo-

The simplest solution I've found is to just use iFile to rename the advancedsettings.xml when I'm on the road. It only takes a second, and then when I return home, I just name it back. The profile solution also works, but for me, since I'm home far more often than not, it's simper to avoid profiles.

Yeah...I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that! Thanks!
cody_dingo Wrote:From my understanding, you can only choose your profile once XBMC is running. And with this problem, XBMC won't even start so I can't choose a different profile.

Incorrect. Just have mysql set up on the second profile and not the master profile.
Ned Scott Wrote:Incorrect. Just have mysql set up on the second profile and not the master profile.

Interesting. Thank you. So where do you put the advancedsettings.xml for each profile?
When you make a new profile the location will be (by default)

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/profiles/[profilename]/

So if my new profile is "Away" it would be:

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/profiles/Away/advancedsettings.xml

Here's the full manual page on it: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profile
But feel free to post here again if you need any more help setting this up.
I think I got it. Using profiles worked like a charm this time around!
Ned Scott Wrote:When you make a new profile the location will be (by default)

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/profiles/[profilename]/

So if my new profile is "Away" it would be:

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/profiles/Away/advancedsettings.xml

Here's the full manual page on it: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profile
But feel free to post here again if you need any more help setting this up.

Thank you for the help, Ned. I realized as soon as I posted, that I could just as easily look it up myself. Instead of being snarky to people that can't do things on their own (as I typically am), you instead offered detailed help.

You're obviously an asset to this project and community. Thank you.
Was just playing around with multiple profiles on Jezz's new Touched skin and it has all the options you need. You can easily switch accounts while already in XBMC, tell it to show a log-in window at start up, log out at any time, etc.
Ned Scott Wrote:Was just playing around with multiple profiles on Jezz's new Touched skin and it has all the options you need. You can easily switch accounts while already in XBMC, tell it to show a log-in window at start up, log out at any time, etc.

Yeah, that's what I'm using. His skin is great, and your help is appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iPad2] Easy option to NOT use MySQL when not on home network?0