No Airplay support n XBMC for IPAD2
I love xbmc on ipad but I cannot stream videos to ATV2. Is there anyway to enable this so I can watch on big screen tv.
Wouldn't it just be easier to install XBMC directly on your ATV2 and play content directly from the device itself?
My ATV 2 is upgraded to latest version and there is no jailbreak for this yet, I find Ipad 2 performance is better than ATV2.
Ahhh understand. Aren't you going to hit bottlenecks trying to load data in to the iPad to decode and play and then also output it over the same wireless bandwidth to the ATV2?

Is the content on your iPad or stored remotely?
I am mainly watching content from Navi-x . I also plan to buy Camera Connection Kit than I can watch my personal collection in my hard disk.
no way to do this. Like JWidenbank said, the iPad won't be able to handle it. To use airplay when you are using files that aren't native to iOS video playback you will have to transcode. This means decoding the video AND re-encoding it at the same time AND then acting as a server for another device.

The reason airplay works so well is because it's basically acting as a lite file server + remote controls. When you airplay from an iPad to an ATV2 you are basically putting that movie file on an HTTP server that the ATV2 plays from. (iOS mirroring, on the other hand, probably works a bit differently because it captures everything on the screen and then streams it, rather than having a file already done).

So yeah, probably not enough umph to both decode and re-encode, and even if it did there currently is no software to do this from an iPad, let alone XBMC.
I believe the iPad 2 has hardware encoding as well (typically used for recording video). This would explain why it can do display mirroring with little trouble regardless of system strain.
Question 
Then how come air video and stream2me and zumocast and boxee and all the other apps can stream from my PC, and air play to the apple TV
Phat1za Wrote:Then how come air video and stream2me and zumocast and boxee and all the other apps can stream from my PC, and air play to the apple TV

Because they feed the iPad a native video file that the iPad could play locally. For instance, in the case of Air Video, your computer will do all the necessary encoding before streaming a native video to the iPad. Basically, if a fresh, out of the box iPad can play it, it can be Airplayed.
Vincent Law Wrote:I believe the iPad 2 has hardware encoding as well (typically used for recording video). This would explain why it can do display mirroring with little trouble regardless of system strain.

Hardware encoding has nothing to do with video mirroring. It's just a GPU rescale.
davilla Wrote:Hardware encoding has nothing to do with video mirroring. It's just a GPU rescale.

Sorry, I was thinking about iOS5 mirroring, over wifi.
Phat1za Wrote:Then how come air video and stream2me and zumocast and boxee and all the other apps can stream from my PC, and air play to the apple TV

He is not talking about transcoding from a PC to the iPad. He is talking about transcoding from an iPad to an ATV2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Airplay support n XBMC for IPAD20