• 54(current)
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon
I emailed BlueCopter to get his take on this and here is his reply:

~~~~
I think it is because they released several pilot episodes of shows they produce today. I believe they wanted to flip the DRM switch so they couldn't be saved or pirated. unfortunately this break compatibility with XBMC because we can no longer play the unencrypted video. their motivation is only speculation. I am moving cities and jobs so I haven't had time to look at anything.
~~~~

It doesn't look good for getting a quick fix unless Amazon backs down and turns off DRM.
Ok. Interesting. I thought they always had DRM enabled, which is why we had the same issue last year, and why they require newer versions of Flash, HAL, etc. installed for viewing in a browser. I can still view movies and shows in a web browser on Linux (although sadly no HD), so it's not a complete loss,

I know this would not be an ideal solution, but would there be any way of adapting the addon to use a fullscreen Flash overlay as a backup for times like this, until a better solution can be found? My family relies heavily on Amazon for streaming, and have purchased a ton of content that we now can't view on our XBMC-based HTPC, without exiting to a desktop session.
FWIW, I just verified that PlayOn Amazon VID provisioning is still active - I assume that is a function of PlayOn's approach, which scrapes the Flash playback from the PlayOn host machine. That means that PlayOn's picture is the same quality as that seen in a web browser, so, suboptimal. Given that Amazon's longterm intent seems to be restricting high quality playback to their own devices, I think we maybbe at the end of the road. Hope not.
Also FWIW, I just found an option to watch Amazon via Windows Media Center http://garethbarr.com/amazonmceaddin/ , please don't ostracize me for posting about WMC in an XBMC forum, I really want this to work in XBMC....
Products like PlayOn are undoubtedly the reason that high quality video is being sand boxed within their own and carefully licensed devices. I now see why they removed HD Prime from the browsers. Wish they'd get more creative about a solution, though, other than banning them. Who knows, maybe the various post-priori bans and restrictions are stop action measures while they work out a real solution. Getting people to pay for something based on features that are then removed (like Prime on Tivo) may allow for a class action to force the issue.
(2013-04-19, 23:58)markc23 Wrote: Also FWIW, I just found an option to watch Amazon via Windows Media Center http://garethbarr.com/amazonmceaddin/ , please don't ostracize me for posting about WMC in an XBMC forum, I really want this to work in XBMC....

Just checked this out... works nicely... Seems to be similar to our Netflix addon, as it plays outside of WMC. Maybe someone with a head for code can make this work from XBMC?
I want to be good. I want to be above board. Right now I just want to talk to that one guy we all know who can download anything over VPN from his invitation only Usenet thread without the REAL bad guys knowing it.

This is all I have to say to the DRM douches: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones
I'm furious with this move by Amazon. Having been a loyal Amazon fan-boy and Prime subscriber for several years and having come to rely on the great Instant Video service through BlueCop's awesome plugin, I no longer have any loyalty to them and will no longer send any more business their way. I've emailed them so we'll see what they say -- probably about the same as they've told others -- but may be if enough of us express our outrage, they'll get the message.

Would make more sense to cancel my $80 prime subscription and spend it on a US/UK VPN service for downloading anonymity and UK TV channels.
I wish they asked why when you cancel your Prime renewal. Sort of an empty gesture when they can't see how they fucked up. I guess that's not relevant to their scheme of things.
I think us users should mount a Facebook campaign on this. Maybe even create a page. I just posted on their page and will be interested if the post gets deleted. http://www.facebook.com/AmazonInstantVideo
I just cancelled my Amazon Prime subscription. I just renewed on the 12th but let me cancel since it wasn't used much since renewal. I noted in the comments that I cancelled because Amazon Prime Instant Videos no longer works with XBMC with the new DRM.

So what is a good movie/tv plugin to replace Amazon Prime? I use Hulu but not so good for movies and Amazon had more for my son (Power Rangers and Avatar series).
While far from ideal, I wonder if the Amazon plugin can be modified to pass links to a web browser such as the one just released here. .That "works", in the sense it opens up via XBMC a web browser full screen. I tested it with Amazon, and prime videos play as one would expect.

As far as I can tell, BlueCop's plugin still mostly works in the sense that you can browse prime, see your amazon video library, etc. Even that is still useful (to me at least), and I certainly appreciate and thank BlueCop for his work in making one of the best, if not THE best, XBMC plugins. The "only" place it now fails due to Amazon mucking about with Flash is when you hit the play button. That's critical, of course, and one of the advantages of BlueCop's plugin was that it was contained completely inside of XBMC and hence pretty-much platform independent. The major problem with my suggestion (other than the necessary re-coding to even get it to work with BlueCop's existing code) is that it'll probably only work on windows, at least work acceptably well. That's probably a deal-breaker right there.
I have an Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread phone. I use to be able to play amazon instant videos on the default android web browser. However, since a couple days ago when I try to play a video, I see the time progress on the video player but I don't see any video or hear any sound.
Amazon recently updated their Flash video playback which now prevents the video from playing using the XBMC plugin and android web browsers. I have a quote from Amazon support below.

Amazon Support Wrote:Amazon Support:Okay, for Android devices we unfortunately don't support them except for the Kindle Fires so it was really lucky your phone was able to play our instant videos before. As to why they aren't working now, we just recently updated our Flash video playback support which is more than likely why it won't play now. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this will cause you!
Me:I see. Was the flash video playback updated because of the new Amazon Original Pilots that was released recently?
Amazon Support:I'm honestly not sure if it was due to the pilots that came out, though the timing with the pilots and the update can't be coincidental Smile
Disappointing to see to say the least. Hope this is something that can be resolved/fixed soon.
I can access it through chromium on my Ubuntu 12.04 htpc's. Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc. It is not integrated within xbmc as I have to launch a browser and of course you need an air mouse/keyboard combo to get around. It's fugly but it works. I think there is a push to sell more Windows 8 SW, so far it has been a Big flop. Confused
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon14