File-Sharing from Mac OS 10.7 Lion TO Ubuntu 10.10
Question 
Hi!

I'm going crazy and it seems to me that I looked at all the available threads and even the whole internet to solve this problem.

Well, as we all know, file sharing from a Mac OS X machine to XBMC via SMB is broken since Lion.

So I'm running XBMC on Ubuntu 10.10 and I figured that it must be possible to just share my folders from Lion to Ubuntu directly (using AFP or SMB) and then access the mounted folders via XBMC. But I just can't get it to work!

Could anybody please walk me through this step by step? Which packages to install, which files to edit (fstab?) and so on ...

That would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
a correct search of google will more than likely lead you back here and the answer to your question.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
There is a sticky in both the Mac OS X sub forum and the iOS sub forum that list alternatives for sharing from 10.7
TheDom Wrote:Hi!

I'm going crazy and it seems to me that I looked at all the available threads and even the whole internet to solve this problem.

Well, as we all know, file sharing from a Mac OS X machine to XBMC via SMB is broken since Lion.

So I'm running XBMC on Ubuntu 10.10 and I figured that it must be possible to just share my folders from Lion to Ubuntu directly (using AFP or SMB) and then access the mounted folders via XBMC. But I just can't get it to work!

Could anybody please walk me through this step by step? Which packages to install, which files to edit (fstab?) and so on ...

That would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

hers the solution and doesnt lead here it leads to where people actually get around problems.

http://www.johnlarge.co.uk/2011/07/19/os...t-working/

that will fix smb in lion or your money back.
Thx for all your replies! But I'm aware of all the suggested posts.

As I see it, they help to tamper with Lion so that the built-in XBMC-network-clients can access the shares.

But what I want to do, is to use whatever Ubuntu-package to access the regular Lion-shares - via SMB or AFP, I don't care. I tried Netatalk but I can't get it to work. Is network access from any machine that is not running Mac OS really not possible (apart from the solutions that tamper with Lion)?
you cant unless ubuntu is compatible with smb2 (SAMBA4) the new samba protocol both OSX and Windows share.

So You have to find the compatible version in LINUX.

//edit http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
TheDom Wrote:Thx for all your replies! But I'm aware of all the suggested posts.

As I see it, they help to tamper with Lion so that the built-in XBMC-network-clients can access the shares.

But what I want to do, is to use whatever Ubuntu-package to access the regular Lion-shares - via SMB or AFP, I don't care. I tried Netatalk but I can't get it to work. Is network access from any machine that is not running Mac OS really not possible (apart from the solutions that tamper with Lion)?

Hi.

You need to install the new betaversion of netatalk (2.2~beta4-1 ) to get afp to work between Ubuntu and Lion. You should be able to follow this guide to set ut up : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11101453

Check the first post in that thread for the details. That guide helped me get my timemachine backups to start working again after upgrading my mackintosh to lion.

Good luck, and as always YMMV :-)

peram

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File-Sharing from Mac OS 10.7 Lion TO Ubuntu 10.100