iPad2 + xbmc + hefty 1080p mkv = possible overheat?
Thumbs Up 
I'm buying an iPad2. And I'm going to jailbreak it, and put xbmc on it. And it's gonna play 16gb mkv files (using both cores of it's A5 cpu).

I am looking into insurance at the moment, I would like to ask:

* Since hardware-decoding will make use of both cores, is there a chance the ipad2 can overheat. I am sure that a 16gb high bitrate mkv would stress it to quite a high degree. Is this a tried and tested, safe thing to do? After all, apple is very keen on making you aware.. 'if you jailbreak, your on your own'.

Worst case scenario for instance... you play the heavy video, it overheats.. pops. You take it to apple for a fix, they can tell it's jailbroken, and throw it back at you. Then you're screwed, right?

Is this something I should be concerned/careful about?

regards.
Your going to put 1 movie at 16 gb on this? or a bunch of movies that total 16 gb?

if 1 movie, have to thought about compressing this movie as
a) ipad on does stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 sound
b) resolution of ipad is not 1920x1080 but 1024x768
Your ipad will work a lot less to give you same results

The only overheating I can find is ipad sitting in direct sunlight
Better do it quick before the stock with 4.3.3 is all gone
atari800 Wrote:Your going to put 1 movie at 16 gb on this? or a bunch of movies that total 16 gb?

if 1 movie, have to thought about compressing this movie as
a) ipad on does stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 sound
b) resolution of ipad is not 1920x1080 but 1024x768
Your ipad will work a lot less to give you same results

The only overheating I can find is ipad sitting in direct sunlight

Will not be storing the movie on the ipad. Just streaming to it. This is purely for an 'at-home' convenience scenario.
maximus96 Wrote:Better do it quick before the stock with 4.3.3 is all gone

shouldnt even be a problem. you can revert to an older OS after jailbreak if you want.
PantsOnFire Wrote:shouldnt even be a problem. you can revert to an older OS after jailbreak if you want.

so you're assuming you can jailbreak it? the problem is you will not be able to if you're buying a new one with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5

i would avoid the apple store as they go thru their inventory pretty quick and chances of getting a 4.3.3 are slim to none
Question 
maximus96 Wrote:so you're assuming you can jailbreak it? the problem is you will not be able to if you're buying a new one with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5

i would avoid the apple store as they go thru their inventory pretty quick and chances of getting a 4.3.3 are slim to none

oh poo, really? 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 not jailbreakable? And there's no way to check which version it has before you purchase I assume. Blimey, im glad you told me. So only 4.3.3 is breakable? Surely that will change? Or are 434 and 435 just rock solid? What's gonna happen with iOS 5 then? presumably they will work on it when it's available..

Actually tho, this might be good news for me as I've spotted quite a good value ipad2, 2nd hand.
for now, 4.3.3 is jailbreakable, the older version might be jailbreakable by now, but they weren't when the jailbreak first came out. people were told to update to 4.3.3 before JB-ing.

If you can get a used 4.3.3 with saved SHSH in cydia or tinyumbrella then that will be perfect. if you don't have the SHSH you can't even restore back to a stock 4.3.3 to re-jailbreak if you run into issues. you'd be forced to restore to 4.3.5

I remember reading there will be no new jailbreak until IOS5...so maybe in a couple of months
maximus96 Wrote:If you can get a used 4.3.3 with saved SHSH in cydia or tinyumbrella then that will be perfect. if you don't have the SHSH you can't even restore back to a stock 4.3.3 to re-jailbreak if you run into issues. you'd be forced to restore to 4.3.5

I think I'm in a bit deep here. I'm going to have to be careful with my purchase. I have to be honest and say I don't understand the terms, SHSH. I know roughly what Cydia is (an app which will then let you install further stuff). But I don't know how to jailbreak yet. Would need to read about that first.

I don't know what tinyumbrella is. I know for certain, that the ipad2 I'm looking at, is not jailbroken at all. Is it not as simple as just checking the iOS revision number from within the settings menu?
It will be fine, Apple makes very nice hardware.
davilla Wrote:It will be fine, Apple makes very nice hardware.

Agreed, but to be fair it also wasn't originally intended to run xbmc, so I'm just treading carefully. I wouldn't want to wreck a £500 piece of hardware.
Quote:* Since hardware-decoding will make use of both cores, is there a chance the ipad2 can overheat.

No, hardware video decoding does not use even one CPU core. It uses circuitry on the GPU. If it is using hardware decoding then, if I understand correctly, it won't matter how straining the video file is as long as it is within the abilities of the GPU. No more or less electricity is used, no more or less heat is produced. This is why hardware decoding is so important for battery life as well as releasing the CPU of a huge burden.
Dissapointed. Went to check out a 2nd hand ipad2. Perfect condition but it has 4.3.4 (8k2) on it :-( sad times.
PantsOnFire Wrote:Dissapointed. Went to check out a 2nd hand ipad2. Perfect condition but it has 4.3.4 (8k2) on it :-( sad times.

It won't take long for a jailbreak. Next jailbreak will likely be just after iOS 5.0 is released.
Ned Scott Wrote:It won't take long for a jailbreak. Next jailbreak will likely be just after iOS 5.0 is released.

that's what I was reading also. Which is a couple of months roughly. I suppose I might put up with it. Acchhh, I keep reading about iPad3 now as well, talk about confusing! Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad2 + xbmc + hefty 1080p mkv = possible overheat?0