Was 24FPS audio sync issues ever fixed?
DDDamian Wrote:Hi Ashlar - that's why I distinguished between the odd dropped frame and course offsets of ~200ms a few posts back Rolleyes
Sure, I just tried to properly word it, as, reading the thread, I was left with the impression that a newcomer could get confused. I didn't mean you were not aware of the differences. If I sounded that way, sorry. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:Sure, I just tried to properly word it, as, reading the thread, I was left with the impression that a newcomer could get confused. I didn't mean you were not aware of the differences. If I sounded that way, sorry. Smile

NP - and I respect the help you also give out Cool

You did word it well: there are two distinct issues 1) the odd dropped frame and 2) the large ~200ms delay reported with 24p material.

I do tend to think the second is an XBMC/hardware combination issue. Many report it and I simply don't seem to get it with any material. I may have been very lucky in my movies, but seeing as they've been ripped with a wide variety of programs and are in a wide variety of codecs/containers I should have stumbled across it at some point. Using recent XBMC builds, an ATI 6450, Win 7 x64 and latest AMD drivers I just heven't run across it. That said, I posted links to a thread/build to brute-force correct it.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Yeah, unfortunately your build and the patch don't help. 24fps movies playback beautifully smoothly, visually, but audio sync is off and not consistent from one movie to another. All are in perfect sync when played at 60hz, but then I get juttery pans.
jubilex Wrote:Yeah, unfortunately your build and the patch don't help. 24fps movies playback beautifully smoothly, visually, but audio sync is off and not consistent from one movie to another. All are in perfect sync when played at 60hz, but then I get juttery pans.

the simplest solution would be to let reclock be used as the audio renderer, that should solve all the issues.

if you think you are just getting juttery pans, then you are luckier than most. i watched 24p at 60hz first time i connected the computer to the tv and had a headache by the end of the movie. Everything was jittery, it was horrible.

dsplayer does have option to use reclock as audio renderer but just jitters all over the place for me unlike mpc-hc work just works.

the absolute best solution would be to do what jriver has and just include madvr with reclock or a sync solution that actually works.
I did more testing and I was mistaken or partially with my earlier comments.

With the DDDamian build I seemed to have the usual issues. I added the advancedsettings to set a -250 delay on 23-24hz sources. This made the sync very much off, so I re-set that to 0 so that I could manually adjust the offset to figure out how much it should be. With it reset to 0, I (somewhat bafflingly) had no audio sync issues, but have noticeable visual stutters every 10 seconds or so.

For what it's worth, my projector is reporting that it is being fed a 23.978hz signal.

Robl45, reclock/dsplayer etc is not a viable solution for me; DSplayer does not remember subtitle choice/settings and does not work with the new(ish) "subtitle placement" setting, so on my 2.35 screen, subtitles are cut off.
jubilex Wrote:I did more testing and I was mistaken or partially with my earlier comments.

With the DDDamian build I seemed to have the usual issues. I added the advancedsettings to set a -250 delay on 23-24hz sources. This made the sync very much off, so I re-set that to 0 so that I could manually adjust the offset to figure out how much it should be. With it reset to 0, I (somewhat bafflingly) had no audio sync issues, but have noticeable visual stutters every 10 seconds or so.

For what it's worth, my projector is reporting that it is being fed a 23.978hz signal.

Robl45, reclock/dsplayer etc is not a viable solution for me; DSplayer does not remember subtitle choice/settings and does not work with the new(ish) "subtitle placement" setting, so on my 2.35 screen, subtitles are cut off.

i don't use subtitles except when they are hardcoded in or needed for non english speaking parts. thats one less headache I have in my setup but I know that it has caused lots of problems.

my nvidia card does 23.97542 and with reclock smoothing everything, I get a nice picture.

its just really a pain switching between two remotes to watch a movie.

i believe jriver worked fine for me but nothing other than mpc-hc has scale to 16:9 which I need for the 3d movies so wasn't worth spending the money on jriver to use it part time, plus the gui sucks compared to xbmc.

however jriver might be a viable alternative for many people with sync issues.
While there are certain hardware/settings combinations that do seem to work fine, there's little doubt there's an issue here. The patch is a workaround for course, consistent offsets only. There are people looking into the sync loss issues.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:While there are certain hardware/settings combinations that do seem to work fine, there's little doubt there's an issue here. The patch is a workaround for course, consistent offsets only. There are people looking into the sync loss issues.

who? every thread i've seen and even the one I started seems to be a dead end, its acknowledged, but no solution.
Wondering if anyone has had luck with Eden.

Is anyone able to play movies (particulary mkv, DTS or AC3) at 24fps and not have them out of sync with the audio?
(2012-07-18, 20:54)jubilex Wrote: Wondering if anyone has had luck with Eden.

Is anyone able to play movies (particulary mkv, DTS or AC3) at 24fps and not have them out of sync with the audio?
Not with Eden, but with Frodo Nightlies (including the AE build), I have no sync issues at all, with any file types, fps or audio types (DTS-MA, TrueHD, DD, DTS, flac and PCM ).

Have tried intel i3, ATI 5670 and Nvidia GT430, all with an Onkyo 805, hooked up to a Panasonic 65vt30 plasma.

Appreciate nightly builds/snapshots aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've had no playback issues of any type since early May - been totally rock solid, to the extent that I haven't tried another build since then.
Very interesting, I will certainly try that, thanks!

edit: My bad, Frodo alpha 2 is the one I've been using. Have all the same sync issues (that I used to have with Dharma etc) when I try to do 24fps playback through Nvidia 560 ti. Audio is not in sync with video.
I have not had the time to read everything in this post, but as DDDamian surely can confirm i've had almost every sync issue there is to haveWink

Status as of today however is that the 24fps sync bug is pretty much sorted out for my part.

I could never get my Nvidia GT520 card to sync up properly so I switched to a 6450 card and it improved. I did not get perfect sync every time, but it improved alot.

After a while AMD gave out the Catalyst 12.6 Beta driver which resolved the HDMI handshake problem amongst other things... the documentation on the driver did not state anything about audiosync issues, but with this driver, the 6450 and Frodo A2 I got almost perfect sync.

Today I'm running Catalyst 12.6 Beta, 6450 and Frodo A3, and as far as I can see I have as close to perfect sync as it's possible to get. No dropped frames unless I pause, FastForward or something like that.
I don't know if there has been much work on the sync issue between Frodo A2 and A3, but I got an improvement between the two...

The only thing I'm having issues with now is a bit jerky playback on 29.970 fps material... this was no problem on Eden, but since I have very little 29.970 material I really don't care;p

System: XBMC Gotham 13.1, HTPC: AMD 6450 1GB, Intel i5 3470S, 8GB DDR3, ASUS P8H61-M PRO, OCZ SSD Agility 3, NYXboard Hybrid Remote
Surround: NAD M15HD2, NAD M25, B&W 803 Diamond, B&W DB1, B&W HTM4, Pioneer KRP-600A / Panasonic 65VT50
Hi, this is my first post, having recently switched from a Popcorn Hour to XBMC (W7 64 bit & HD6450 with latest CCC). So far I'm really very impressed with XBMC, but the one thing that has been bugging me has been the lip sync. So, I was particularly interested in this thread and as a result of what I've read I've just installed the latest beta (Frodo?) version, which I'm pleased to report seems to have cured the problem.

But can anyone tell me how to switch the appearance back to how it was before? The background images have changed and I preferred what came as default with the Eden release, but in the settings it reports as though it is using the same skin?!?
Some aesthetic changes were made to the default confluence skin, unless a seperate build is made available as a mod, in the skin sections, I would think you might be out of luck - might be worth asking over on the confluence sub-forum.

Oh and welcome to xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Was 24FPS audio sync issues ever fixed?0