WMA music files and multiple genres
I did some searching around the forums for an answer, but nothing I found seemed to do the trick, so thought I'd ask here.

I got a problem with wma files with multiple genres and how they display in XBMC when sorted by Genre.

Here's a screen shot that makes it easy to see my issue

Now I just finished organizing the music library using MusicBrainz Picard with the Last.FM plugin. All the single genres you see there like "Rock", "Classic Rock", etc are mp3 files. The ones that show "Jazz; Swing; Big Band; Easy Listening; Jazz Vocal" are the wma files.

Far as I can tell in all the music programs I have, even windows Explorer Details properties tab, show the same format for genres in the Genre tag. Each genre that applies to the track separated by a semi-colon for both types of files.

I tried putting this into the advancedsettings.xml file just to see if it'd help, but no dice.
Code:
<musiclibrary>
     <itemseparator> ; </itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

Is there just something simple I'm missing? Currently pondering if I should just convert the wma files into mp3, but that will take ages and many tears and I'd really prefer not to have to.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

On a separate note, that Last.FM plugin did some nifty things with the Grouping tag as a level of organizing the music easier. I know XBMC doesn't by default use this hierarchy to display songs, but can the Grouping tag be used in Smart Playlists or some nifty plugin? With so many genres it's quite a challenge to go through the entire list looking for what you want.

Almost ready to just replace the multiple genres with Last.FM's groups and call it a day heh.

Thanks again

Edit: Forgot to mention, running the pre-Eden nightlies. Currently on Aug's 18th build.
Wondering if anyone has any kind of thoughts on this? I've tried messing with the WMA (windows media audio)files some more and it just seems to me XBMC isn't reading the multiple genres from the files correctly, or it is and it's just not displaying them correctly. It's just not separating them out and is treating them as one long genre.
Rygrath Wrote:Wondering if anyone has any kind of thoughts on this? I've tried messing with the WMA (windows media audio)files some more and it just seems to me XBMC isn't reading the multiple genres from the files correctly, or it is and it's just not displaying them correctly. It's just not separating them out and is treating them as one long genre.

You figure anything out with this? I'm having a similar issue... actually exactly the same issue, I just used Picard to organize and tag my music and now I have a million different genres because it reads multiple genre tags as a single long tag.

It's not just limited to wma tags for me though :/ Windows Explorer reads them separately the way they should be, but Zune also reads them wrong X_X
Actually, I think I just fixed it. I did what you had above with the advancedsettings.xml without spaces, like so:

<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>;</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

At first nothing happened, so I cleared out my music sources and readded and rescanned and it seems to be cleaned up now Smile Doesn't fix Zune, but at least XBMC seems good ^_^

EDIT: Yup, that did it. The library finished rebuilding last night or today sometime and I just checked and everything is showing up properly now. Super awesome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WMA music files and multiple genres0