Zotac + LG TV = Stutter
I just purchased and assembled my first HTPC. Based on my readings here and elsewhere I was directed to the Zbox ID41 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-intel-atom-...d41-u.html). I purchased my first HDTV (LG 42LK520), as well as 4GB of RAM and an SSD to go along with it.

My problem is this: When playing any content, even if it's just standard def, the image stutters. The stutter isn't horrible, but certainly noticeable and distracting.

I took one of my computer monitors (21" LCD) and did a quick A-to-B comparison, and the image doesn't stutter on my monitor. I've been messing with the settings of my TV and turned off the TruMotion feature that attempts to provide 120Hz refresh rate, but the stutter persisted.

I'm to the point of seriously considering returning the TV, even though all of the reviews that I've seen for the TV have no serious mention of stuttering (one review mentions that turning of TruMotion removes minor stutter).

Am I on the right track? Any ideas? Eek
I have the same TV , and have my xbmc running smoothly on all movies, SD, 720,1080.
I do not think it is the TV that is causing the stutter. I run my xbmc off my comp which is also my old gaming rig. My vid card has dual DVI out puts , 1 for my comp and 1 for tv, I can run both ouputs to monitor and TV with no stutter.
My personal thought would be that the graphics in the ZOTAC need updating or reinstalling.
make sure your tv aspect is set to just scan, worked for me..
I think I may have found the golden ticket to my problems. I now have video that is 100% stutter free, but still isn't what I would call perfect. Perhaps this is just the jump to HDTV, but the movies all look a little more staged than before. It's as if I can much more clearly see how the director set up the take, and now have less respect for the movie because of it. I'm pretty sure it's the TruMotion (120Hz) in my TV, but all of the characters seem to have a bit of a rubbery motion to them, it's just a little too perfect. I can't seem to bring myself to turn of the 120Hz feature, though, as the motion blur is difficult to go back to after seeing a picture without it. I currently have the following settings, and if anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know!:

XBMC, default Windows 7 install plus the following changes:
  1. Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) -- Enabled
  2. Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Video -- Enabled
  3. System -> Video Output -> Use a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen -- Disabled

LG 42LK520, default settings plus the following:
  1. Aspect Ratio -- Just Scan
  2. Picture Mode -> Cinema (and bring back light up to ~55)
  3. TruMotion -- Low

With these settings I am able to get my ZBOX ID41 to play stutter free 1080p on my LG 42LK520 using the HDMI port on the back of the ZBOX for both video and audio. When using external speakers I need to set adjust the audio back about 250ms to make up for the lag that is (presumably) introduced by the TruMotion.

@Harro: Thanks so much for your reply, you helped me to realize that there might be a solution to my setup and to not just blame the TV. I currently have the latest drivers for my Next Gen ION, the 280.26 driver pack.

@tvwatcher: Thanks for the tip! It turns out that this is vitally important to proper performance and display of the video.
i had the same issue on my SAMSUNG HDTV,,,,

i turned off TruMotion completely and problem gone!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac + LG TV = Stutter0