Building NAS, running unraid. Best hard drives?
wsume99 Wrote:It's nice to hear what others have experienced but you have to be careful to not go too far.

wsume99,
i said --> i suggest he reads PoofyHarGuy's unRAID guide!
i didnt say --> Follow it at all costs!!
If he doesnt wanna go by it, fine,,,
im just trying to help!
O.O

kortina Wrote:I tried software Raid on a Win2008R2 server running 4x1.5Tb WD Green drives.

FAIL. (after 12 weeks)

Hence why PoofyHarGuy's said in his guide
3. Western Digital Green HDs - NOT for RAID or ZFS, but great for Unraid as they are fast enough and they are the coolest drives. Best for media storage.

Quartermass Wrote:His recommendations are all based on facts rather than perceived reliability.

His recommendations are to go for normal, non-WD drives. He then suggests WD green drives (and says not for RAID) and then the other two. He justifies it clearly too. I can't find fault with his recommendations.

+1
Price to heat for a drive that is fast enough for an Unraid media server setting the WD Green drives are an excellent purchase. Really for any manufacturer you want their their "green" i.e. slower spin rate, lower heat, lower energy consumption model as opposed to higher spin rate, higher energy consumption models.

Arguments about who makes the best fast spin rate "pro" models may not be the best guide because its a different measuring stick.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
(2011-08-21, 21:58)eskro Wrote: i suggest you read poofyhairguy's [unRAID] recommandations...
as far as i know,
he tried almost all consumer 2TB drives on the market
and he gives use his order of preference....
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94268

Sorry for necroing, I was looking for just that, so many thanks eskro.
Also my parts for your 12 disk build are on their way to my home as we speak.
Many thanks for that as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building NAS, running unraid. Best hard drives?0