Mplayer web site close!?
just went to mplayer's website, and figure out it closed.

is that means mplayer gone? if so, how about xbmc since xbmc using mplayer as core decoder for video and audio?

thanks
it isnt closed, but it may be closed soon.. you need to look just a little closer at what they really say...

Quote:closed for patent infringement

this site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in mplayer. the other free software multimedia players are next.

the european commission has just passed its directive on software patents, violating democratic rules and procedures to the sole benefit of big non-european corporation and ireland and to the detriment of small and medium sized businesses (which comprise 99% of the european software industry) and free software.

the european parliament will now be taking the last stand against software patents in a voting for which an absolute majority is needed. such a majority is hard to come by in a parliament with a low attendance level.

but not all is lost yet as long as you decide it is time to make a difference and take action. this is our last opportunity to fend off software patents worldwide, there will be no second chance for the foreseeable future. contact your local eu representatives and educate them why software patents are bad and why they must attend that parliament session to vote against them. for in-depth information and starting points to get active visit software patent page of the ffii (foundation for a free information infrastructure) and nosoftwarepatents.com.

wish us luck, we will need it.

enter the mplayer homepage while it is still available.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

sooo, they are making it mandatory to have a patent on software? i guess i don't get it. so they are trying to get rid of open source all together in lieu of having everyone patent their software. besides, this is only in britian. can't the rest of us ignore this ruling like certain sites do about copyright laws considering they don't apply where they are.
(pre1014 @ mar. 22 2005,17:52 Wrote:sooo, they are making it mandatory to have a patent on software? i guess i don't get it. so they are trying to get rid of open source all together in lieu of having everyone patent their software. besides, this is only in britian. can't the rest of us ignore this ruling like certain sites do about copyright laws considering they don't apply where they are.
no, but companies are able to do patents on common things like "a way to output visual content on a screen". and after they did they can sue every mediaplayer software developer.
--> some examples

and it is an eu law = all projects located in the eu are affected.
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i hope mplayer doesn't disappear - i don't think it will. it will just go underground.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mplayer web site close!?0