SMB Sharing Issues Snow Leopard- Operation not Permitted
I am having issues sharing my files on my MacBook to XMBC running on my Apple TV 2g. I am running Snow Leopard and followed all the steps to enable smb sharing:

1. Went to System Preferences -> Sharing
2. Checked "File Sharing"
3. Went to Options and checked "Shares files and folders using SMB (Windows)" and I enabled the profile that I am currently using.
4. I shared the one folder I wanted on my desktop. It currently is set to where I have permission to "Read & Write" and Everyone has permission to "Read Only" (I even tried to change Everyone's permission to Read & Write to see if that would help, but it didn't).

Then when I go to XMBC on my Apple TV and add sources, I go to SMB -> Workgroup -> My MacBook

It's here when I click on my MacBook's name it says Operation not Permitted and nothing happens.

There's no password on my user account.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!
this has been covered suggest checking google a correct search should lead you to your answer.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
We need the xbmc.log file off of the ATV2. See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=846403&postcount=4
vegeto2k222 Wrote:I am having issues sharing my files on my MacBook to XBMC running on my Apple TV 2g. I am running Snow Leopard and followed all the steps to enable smb sharing:

1. Went to System Preferences -> Sharing
2. Checked "File Sharing"
3. Went to Options and checked "Shares files and folders using SMB (Windows)" and I enabled the profile that I am currently using.
4. I shared the one folder I wanted on my desktop. It currently is set to where I have permission to "Read & Write" and Everyone has permission to "Read Only" (I even tried to change Everyone's permission to Read & Write to see if that would help, but it didn't).

Then when I go to XBMC on my Apple TV and add sources, I go to SMB -> Workgroup -> My MacBook

It's here when I click on my MacBook's name it says Operation not Permitted and nothing happens.

There's no password on my user account.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same issue... I been looking all over the web... Nothing. I know it must be hopefully a easy fix, but I just can't figure it out. Please help :confused2:

I have OSX Lion
for osx lion see the sticky thread at the top of the forum ... lion and smb with xbmc is a no go!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:for osx lion see the sticky thread at the top of the forum ... lion and smb with xbmc is a no go!

Yes and No... After doing more research on this, I found out that I was searching the wrong info.
@vegeto2k222 we where search for the error code and that is why we was not finding any info on this.
But if you search for Mac OS X Lion + XBMC on ATV2 you will find out that, Yes smb is a no go! but there is a work around to get smb to work again. Reason being , is that Lion "only has smb 2.0 and not 3.0" (<<<I probably said that all wrong but, I hope you get the drift).

Instead having anyone else look at this and going bald from pulling your hair out... Try this link and hopefully this will work.

Start @ post #84
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103618&page=9
I don't have Lion though, I use Snow Leopard.

I know this question has been answered multiple times...on Lion, but I don't see an answer for Snow Leopard

@ned Scott- I will send you my log so you can take a look at it. Thanks!
snow leopard
I have removed "wide links = no" in "etc/smb.conf"
samba now work
https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7104

You go to your sharing settings and set up the share through AFP (I think it's called). Then, in XBMC, you add a network share and tell it to use the same protocol. I don't know all the exact steps, but I can look them up later. Sorry. I just went through this not long ago with my own setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Sharing Issues Snow Leopard- Operation not Permitted0